Covid Fatigue

So if you just take 3 days off, it is unlikely that you are going to be making less than 50% of your average pay for the 2 week period (unless you only work 6 days in a 2 week period). Basically, you have to take off at least half of the time you would normally work in a two week period.

That is definitely not going to encourage people to take a precautionary couple of days to get tested.
For sick benefits the period is 1 week

It sucks for sure. My son is very sad we can't go play basketball any more. He will be fun to deal with for a few days now, at least. I get it, because we saw people all over the parks and courts, dozens of teens all playing together. There are even so many cars on the road. People are obviously not staying home. I ordered pet food to be delivered, picked up groceries curbside, and I guess we'll be doing that for awhile, hopefully we can still get the pet food, I'm not sure what the rules are about that now, haven't had a chance to read it all.

I pray it helps, that enough people get vaccinated in this time to make a difference, but I am doubtful. I think it's too late.

For sick benefits the period is 1 week

So if you work full time, 5 days a week, can you get sick benefits if you take a day off work to get tested and stay home another day until you hear the results?

And is there a cap on how many times you can do this?

You have 4 weeks of the CRSB and you have to make 50% or less of your average income for the week. So I wouldn't use it arbitrarily because then if you get sick it won't be there.

So if you work full time, 5 days a week, can you get sick benefits if you take a day off work to get tested and stay home another day until you hear the results?

And is there a cap on how many times you can do this?

Not through the federal benefits. That’s why we need mandertory paid sick days.

You have 4 weeks of the CRSB and you have to make 50% or less of your average income for the week. So I wouldn't use it arbitrarily because then if you get sick it won't be there.

And each time you apply, that counts as one week even if you took off three days. So you can only do that 4 times.

And each time you apply, that counts as one week even if you took off three days. So you can only do that 4 times.
Yes but it's unlikely that even if paid sick leave was implemented it would ever be 4 weeks worth. It's meant to help deal with quarantining and lllness due to covid.

I'm not quoting anyone because I don't want to have anyone feel like I'm responding directly to them, just offering up my thoughts on why we need paid sick leave. It's not to cover when someone actually gets sick with COVID-19 or any other illness because as pointed out above, there are options available for lengthy absences. What many (far too many) of our fellow citizens need is the ability to stay home for 2 or 3 days here & there, not long enough to have any benefits kick in: while waiting for the results of a test instead of going into work and possible spreading COVID during that time frame, the chance to get the vaccine because while some are fine, others can be like my hubby and be down for the count for 2 days, to stay home when others in the household are awaiting results -- all of the little things that can lead to loss of wages. A single shift might seem like nothing to some of us but for others it can mean no food on the table. Most of our essential workers, you know the ones who stand at the till, pack your orders at Amazon, deliver your Uber Eats, make your Timmies double-double, are living paycheque to paycheque and to expect them to simply stay home without pay is, in my mind, very entitled. My family has the luxury to stay home but others do not.

the Liberals of the prior government wanted employers to pay for paid sick leave with no ability to ask for any documentation. That was the problem. Sick leave should be 100% taxpayer funded imo. Especially if there is no proof required. The system should be the employer pays it out in order for it to be timely, and then can get reimbursed from the government through a dollar for dollar deduction of payroll remittances. Again for it to be done in a timely manner.

I'm not quoting anyone because I don't want to have anyone feel like I'm responding directly to them, just offering up my thoughts on why we need paid sick leave. It's not to cover when someone actually gets sick with COVID-19 or any other illness because as pointed out above, there are options available for lengthy absences. What many (far too many) of our fellow citizens need is the ability to stay home for 2 or 3 days here & there, not long enough to have any benefits kick in: while waiting for the results of a test instead of going into work and possible spreading COVID during that time frame, the chance to get the vaccine because while some are fine, others can be like my hubby and be down for the count for 2 days, to stay home when others in the household are awaiting results -- all of the little things that can lead to loss of wages. A single shift might seem like nothing to some of us but for others it can mean no food on the table. Most of our essential workers, you know the ones who stand at the till, pack your orders at Amazon, deliver your Uber Eats, make your Timmies double-double, are living paycheque to paycheque and to expect them to simply stay home without pay is, in my mind, very entitled. My family has the luxury to stay home but others do not.
I understand what you're saying but paid sick days won't help with that. The most that will he offered is 2 days paid. I don't see how that changes anything.

Most people if they have to get tested is due to having symptoms or if you were near someone with Covid. In both of those cases you have to stay home for longer then a couple of days.

Pais sick days are great for job security. You also shouldn't need documentation. Not everyone needs a doctors not for a migraine and going to the doctor when you have a cold or basic stomach virus actually makes more people sick. I hope that in the future paid sick days are mandated. I don't think they are really necessary for covid but I'm glad that it has brought light to the issue.

Pais sick days are great for job security. You also shouldn't need documentation. Not everyone needs a doctors not for a migraine and going to the doctor when you have a cold or basic stomach virus actually makes more people sick. I hope that in the future paid sick days are mandated. I don't think they are really necessary for covid but I'm glad that it has brought light to the issue.
I agree but the government shouldn't cover it.

Heard from a friend that someone they know runs a catering business and is still active with orders in the GTA. I guess they even have one for 21 people this weekend. Curious how these new rules will affect people who simply don't care. I have a hard time believing we'll see much enforcement in Ontario.
Maybe the host is planning on packaging it all up and handing out take-away meals for those who were invited. Trying to be positive here.

Maybe the host is planning on packaging it all up and handing out take-away meals for those who were invited. Trying to be positive here.
My coworker has been ordering catering service for her family of 6 as she’s overwhelmed right now with everything going on. I agree let’s not jump to conclusions where we don’t know all sides of the story.
People need to concentrate on themselves and their own actions.

My coworker has been ordering catering service for her family of 6 as she’s overwhelmed right now with everything going on. I agree let’s not jump to conclusions where we don’t know all sides of the story.
People need to concentrate on themselves and their own actions.
Yes, I've ordered beef on a bun for 20 and split up into 4 packages to share with friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter