Covid travel UK-US ... or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
What on earth (or in imagination) is the connection between Harry Potter and York? :confused3
The Shambles looks like diagon alley and was apparently the inspiration when J.K Rowling was writing the first book.
Apart from that, there's nothing at all regarding a connection but I think a lot of businesses have just gone with this one similarity and started up some harry potter themed activities/shops 😉

As many of you know, we are meant to be flying out on the 30 August, but clearly that isn't going to happen! Frustratingly, Virgin are still holding on to our money, I just wish they'd get on with cancelling it, so I can refund park tickets and other stuff etc, it's pretty annoying that they are still seemingly claiming that those flights will go ahead.

We have a 'backup' trip booked for December (DVC members so doesn't involve much of a financial outlay to have a 'backup' trip), but as things stand I can see that being cancelled too. I feel as if there MIGHT be a sweet spot around October/November this year when you can travel, but if/when the virus creates another wave over the Winter I can see EU/UK travel to the US being shut down again until Spring '22.
BA just cancelled our flight to Tampa on 31st August so we will not be going then as planned. Wondering whether we rebook for October or November. We Just bought DVC for a big family get together in September 2022 that is further complicated as one of our sons is in Australia which is even less likely to open up for travel any time soon.

Wondering whether we rebook for October or November.
If you mean this year then I admire your optimism in even thinking about it. :)

As I've said elsewhere, booking a minimal deposit/easy refund thing like a Disney resort is fine. But I wouldn't (haven't) book(ed) airline tickets until the US says it will be open for me at that time. Even my travel insurance is 'pending' as I have nothing to lose*.

( * In theory I could lose my £50 Disney deposit (though probably not), but the insurance costs more than double that, so there is no point in buying it until I need to pay an airline.)

I lived in jersey for 2 years in the late 90's and still go back to visit friends. Fantastic place.
It's very tempting, especially as Southampton airport is only a couple of local bus rides away (free pass because ancient person :) ).
BUT ... October weather isn't too warm there. Shame.

It's so complicated with all the flippin' rules, etc, that my main plan at present is that when my 2021 WDW trip is finally killed off, say early October, I will walk into the local travel agents and say: "Holiday, now, 25°C give or take, minimal covid restrictions. Whatcher-got?"

Of course I'll probably still be having to wear a mask, so they will hear "Hohihay no, enyive see if or ake, nominal Ovid eggsinctions, whats a rot?" and look a bit non-plussed. Thus the impact will be somewhat reduced 😖

If you mean this year then I admire your optimism in even thinking about it. :)

As I've said elsewhere, booking a minimal deposit/easy refund thing like a Disney resort is fine. But I wouldn't (haven't) book(ed) airline tickets until the US says it will be open for me at that time. Even my travel insurance is 'pending' as I have nothing to lose*.

( * In theory I could lose my £50 Disney deposit (though probably not), but the insurance costs more than double that, so there is no point in buying it until I need to pay an airline.)
I would only rebook the flight with some airmiles we have that we can cancel up to 48 hours before we fly. I wouldn't book accommodation until I knew the US had opened up to the UK. No risk of losing any money

I have resort booked for October 2021, resort and flights for December 2021 and Easter 2022. October is just a punt on US suddenly opening. If December flights are cancelled, I have decided to put WDW on hold for a couple of years and explore elsewhere.
Pleasing (but also irritating), we have friends from US visiting now without any quarantine requirements! ‘Special relationship’?!😂

There are two articles in Reuters today. One gives hope, the other not, so I'd say things are just about the same overall.

These are them if you're interested:

Exclusive-U.S. developing plan to require foreign visitors to be vaccinated -official
5 min read.

I saw that first one, cool, I have multiple printed and digital copies of my Vaccine Cert and QR code, how do they want it, colour printed, black and white printed, a screen cap, the PDF or in the Irish Covid Tracker Ap :rotfl2:

Also Ursula von der Leyen has now started commenting publicly, so good news for Ireland but not so much for you guys cos, you know, the word that must not be said.... B :confused3

I saw that first one, cool, I have multiple printed and digital copies of my Vaccine Cert and QR code, how do they want it, colour printed, black and white printed, a screen cap, the PDF or in the Irish Covid Tracker Ap :rotfl2:
I think that is probably a real issue. US beaurocracy is (in)famous, so having to deal with all these different systems, and indeed vaccines, is going to try them sorely.

Also Ursula von der Leyen has now started commenting publicly
That never seems to turn out well for anyone :)

I think that is probably a real issue. US beaurocracy is (in)famous, so having to deal with all these different systems, and indeed vaccines, is going to try them sorely.

thinking logically for a minute and using my professional brain, my guess is that if they ask for vaccine proof it will be added to the ESTA online form and much like how DCL is doing right now, you upload a PDF or JPG. Then when we go to the US Homelands Security Agent either at Dublin Airport or at the USA arrival airport, when they scan your passport it will show up on their screen and they can verify the upload with the passport and the person standing in front of them.

you upload a PDF or JPG
Of what?
I don't know what Eire has but in England we can uses the NHS App (Not the pingy one, the actual one) to generate a QR code, which you can print and could upload. That is then scanned by 'people who need to verify you'. But ... it's only valid for 2 weeks when you would need to regenerate it.
Wales, Scotland and NI may be different because "Why make life simple?"
Lord knows what the rest of Europe is doing - I heard they were working on something but not if they got there yet.

Of what?
I don't know what Eire has but in England we can uses the NHS App (Not the pingy one, the actual one) to generate a QR code, which you can print and could upload. That is then scanned by 'people who need to verify you'. But ... it's only valid for 2 weeks when you would need to regenerate it.
Wales, Scotland and NI may be different because "Why make life simple?"
Lord knows what the rest of Europe is doing - I heard they were working on something but not if they got there yet.

Ireland and the other 26 EU countries have a a common EU Digital Vaccine Cert with a QR code. It is being sent to people either as a pdf document by email or a physical piece of paper. The QR code can be scanned and saved in Ireland Covid Tracker or in your phones mobile wallet or people are carrying printouts or photocopies of the cert with QR Code. This QR code is being used for indoor dining, and access to various places in many countries in Europe, Disneyland Paris are scanning the QR codes to access the parks.

For the ESTA , my guess is that you would have to generate your QR code from the NHS App and upload that. Thats what everyone is doing to the Disney Magic UK cruises.

Yeah I am hoping to go in November and knowing my luck I'll be the first scottish covid passport they'll see in orlando and wont know what they're looking at.
If it ever happens I'd hope this is something they check before you get on the plane. They are checking your tests at that point already, so it's a logical extension.

But as logic seems to have been loudly dropped from human behaviour the last few years I don't expect that will happen. :rolleyes:

I'm just inside my 60 day mark so still making all my dining reservations etc!

The only thing I'm holding off is park tickets... I'd rather get an AP, so waiting to see what they do there - but having to keep an eye on park reservation availability. If they start filling up before the AP comes out, I'll have to go with a 14-Day ticket so I can get the reservations in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter