Credit Card - essential??

Netty

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone!

Is it really essential to have to use a credit card for car hire at the airport? We have paid our fly drive etc, but usually find that we are asked to give credit card details , when getting the car.

Thanks
Jeanette

:bounce:

You should not have to give them a CC if you have pre-paid the fully inclusive insurance and taxes etc.

I pre-paid Virgin's extortionate fully inclusive car insurance in March (this year) and dollar still wanted a CC imprint, but this may have been due to upgrading the car at the desk.

The year before i handed them the voucher and didn't ask for a CC.

I think they get into the habit of asking for a CC at the desk, as most people use plastic in the states.

Paul

Just a quick point that friends of mine do not have a CC and when it cane to collecting the car Dollar insisted on a CC. All prepaid no upgrade both in 30s so they had to call home and get a family members card deyails for security. I truely have never heard this before and wouldn;t of thought possible until it happened to them. Maybe a just as a backup.

Oh dear ! Well in that case forget my last post !

I still can't see how they can still ask for a CC as security though. Afterall, thats what you pay the inclusive insurance for isn't it ?? They also have your home address from your driving licence aswell. Unfortunately, i think it has become a fashion to take a CC imprint for almost everything in the US.

When i checked in at the Hard Rock in March, the receptionist told me i could charge to my room, using my room card, she gave me 3 different figures per day ie $100/150/250 (i think) etc. What she didnt tell me was my CC would have a hold put on it for that amount eg $250 per day @ 7 nts = a $1750.00 hold ! I pointed this out to Virgin when i got back and they sent me the standard £100.00 Virgin Voucher for my inconvenience !!

I totally agree. I never would of believed that they would be so picky over a CC unless I personally knew someone first hand whom it had happened to.

Just think Dollar are being too nosey.

I think it is pretty near impossible to hire a car in the US without giving them some sort of Credit Card number - regardless of if you have prepaid everything or not. We usually use our debit card, and nothing is ever taken out of our account, but it seems to satisfy the car hire place.

Bev

I've never had a credit card. I think you'll find that a debit card (ie cheque guarentee card, cashpoint card) will be sufficient.

I emailed Dollar about this and i get a reply saying that as i have virgins top insurance they wouldn't be needing a credit card imprint from me

they never asked me for a cc in march when we travelled. just aswell as i don't have one.

Well it looks like we'll have to take the plastic then, just in case!
:rolleyes:

Just didn't want to end up using it while we we're there as it take s me months to clear it!! Thanks for helping me ;)

Jeanette x

We haven't had problems using a debit card before, but I would be knocked over backwards if they accepted a cash point card or a cheque guarantee card... :confused:

I have realised that my husband and I must be going American: we are big debit/credit card users (although we always pay off our credit cards at the end of the month). I always like to have some cash on me (feel uncomfortable if I don't), but tend to use cards to pay for almost everything (and very rarely ever cheques)...

Boo

Boo Boo, I think you are right, it needs to be a Debit card. In a lot of cases, this also doubles as your cash point/cheque guarantee card, but the crucial bit is that is must have a VISA or MASTERCARD logo on it. My Barclays Connect card hasa VISA symbol on it.

Bev

Yes, Bev. American Express and Diners Club credit cards will also be okay, but "Switch" cards may well not be.

Boo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter