Crockpot and Easy Meals "Index post 372"

Guinness Meat Pie

3 lb-stewing beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
3 c. whole baby carrots
14 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 c. Guinness stout or similar (most liquor stores sell single cans)
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry, defrosted

Put all ingredients in slow cooker (except pastry), stirring well until mixed. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours or until beef is very tender. Spoon mixture into 13x9 inch pan. Do not use all gravy if it will not fit in pan.

15 minutes before serving: On a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry into a 14x10 inch rectangle. Lay pastry over pan, letting extra hang over sides. Bake at 450 for 10 to 15 minutes or until pastry is browned and flaky. Serve immediately.

Recipe Tips-
I get steak tips if on sale instead of stewing beef
Coat beef in flour and lightly brown in skillet before putting in crock-pot
Transfer meat and veggies to baking dish first, then add some flour to gravy to thicken before you transfer to baking dish
I sometimes do about 2 lb beef and less than 3 c. carrots and it comes out fine
Puff pastry is available in the frozen section where you get frozen pies and piecrusts. There are typically 2 sheets in a pack, but since many are square you need to use both to cover the baking dish.

Here is a beef stew that uses V8 as the base...

Vegetable Beef Stew

2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 lb stew beef, cut into ¾ inch cubes
2 Tbsp cooking oil
2-½ cups cubed potatoes
1 cup frozen cut green beans
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 cup sliced carrot
1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
2 tsp instant beef bullion granules
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
½ tsp dried basil or marjoram
¼ tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
2-½ cups V-8 or similar vegetable juice

Note- the above amounts are for a 3-½ to 4 quart crock-pot (round). If you use a 6-quart (oval) you can make 1-½ to 2 times the amounts listed, I always put in more beef than this lists.

Place flour in plastic bag. Add meat cubes and shake until meat is coated with flour. In a large skillet lightly brown half meat in 1 tablespoon oil, turning to brown evenly. Brown remaining meat in remaining oil. Drain off fat.

In slow cooker layer potatoes, green beans, corn, carrots and onions. Add meat. Add bullion granules, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, basil, pepper and bay leaf. Pour juice over all. Cover and cook on low setting for 10 to 12 hours, or high setting for 5 to 6 hours or until meat and veggies are tender. Discard bay leaf.

This is the easiest and tastiest meal I make in my crockpot

Beef Roast
1 Can mushrooms
1 Bottle BBQ sauce

Add all 3 in the crockpot cook for 8 hours on low. Serve over rice or noodles.

Next night shred the beef and serve as pulled sandwiches

Chicken Marsala

4 or 5 frozen chicken breasts(I use the individually wrapped ones from BJ's)

1/2 onion chpped

1 can of cream of mushroom soup

1 soup can of marsala wine

salt

pepper

garlic powder

sliced mushrooms

Place chicken in crock and add soup, wine and onions, s+p and garlic

Cook on low for 6 hours adding the fresh mushrooms in the last 2 hours. I serve with whire rice or noodles

a family fave here is chicken cordon bleu...

thin sliced chicken breasts w/a slice of ham & a 1/2 slice swiss rolled up and toothpicked (i usually do 2-3 lbs of chicken w/1/2 lb ham, 1/4 lb swiss) placed in the crock pot like you are playing jenga (two horizontal, two vertical on top, etc)[LOL]

pour over the top two cans cream of celery soup

cover and cook on low all day

serve over rice or noodles

ENJOY! :)

I combined a couple of the mexican chicken recipes from here and it was amazing.

5 boneless chicken breast
1 cup of salsa (I would have used 2 cups)
1 can of drained black beans (used a small can, but could have used 2)
1 can of drained corn

add the chicken first and then the other items on top
i cooked it on high in the crock pot for about 5 hours, checking to make sure the chicken was under the fluid. added 1 package of dry mexican seasoning about 1/2 way through. Turned it down to low and cooked it 1 more hour.

in the last 1/2 hour, i added 1 cup of cream cheese, not sure if this was really needed.

just before serving i pulled the chicken apart. Put in a casorole dish, with crunched up mexican chips in the bottom and sprinkled some shreaded cheese on it.

We served it with a salad and potatos. My sons liked the tenderness of the chicken so much they put in torteas (spelling) and ate them like a wrap.

Whaaaat? Where do you keep them all? I have two crock pots and my husband thinks I'm overdoing it! (He even gave one of them away (errg!) and was surprised when I went out and bought another one to replace it.)

:lmao: I have a "crock pot area" in my pantry. They are all at easy levels to get to. You never know what size you'll need! One Christmas, I had 13 crock pots all going. We had to get power strips for enough outlets :rotfl:

Crock Pot Beef Roast and Gravy

1 Beef Roast (whatever is on sale and will fit in your crockpot)
1/2 half a packet Lipton Onion Soup Mix
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup (I use Campbell's Healthy Request)

Put the roast in the crockpot, stir the Lipton Soup Mix into the Cream of Mushroom Soup, pour over top (it will be thick, smooth it around with a spoon). Cook all day on low. Serve with noodles or mashed potatoes.

Ok, I ususally sear the roast in a frying pan before putting it in the crockpot, friends assure me this is unnecessary.

Here's another vote for crockpot365!!! My favorite is the Rotisserie Chicken....I make it at least three times a month!!!

I cannot eat gluten, so I'm so happy to find that site (the author and family don't eat gluten, so all the recipes are gluten free - or can be).

I cannot eat gluten, so I'm so happy to find that site (the author and family don't eat gluten, so all the recipes are gluten free - or can be).

Thank you for posting this! We're recently gluten free and I was a little bummed that nearly all the recipes in this thread contained gluten, I'm going to check out that site now!

Erin

I make this recipe every other Sunday...

Sunday Slow Cooker Short Ribs

3-4 lbs short ribs
1 tbsp mustard
1 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce (I use Jack Daniels original)
one medium onion chopped
1/4 cup flour

Place the short ribs in the cooker, add onions on top
Mix all remaining ingredients together then pour over ribs
Cook on low about 7 hours

I also made this Chicken and Dumpling recipe the other day and it was amazing!

Slow Cooker Chicken N Dumplings
3-4 chicken breasts (I use Perdue fit n easy with all fat trimmed off)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup onion diced or you can use minced onion (about 2 tbsp)
1 chicken bullion cube
1 and 1/4 cup water
1 large can of homestyle biscuits

Combine everything (except biscuits) into slow cooker and cook on low for 5-6 hours
30 minutes before serving tear biscuit dough into pieces and add to cooker. I usually up the heat to high for the last 30 minutes.
It is absolutely tender and delicious! Almost as good as Cracker Barrel.

This is in my crock pot now. I did add bread crumbs to firm up the loaf, looking forward to dinner it's a cold day hear in cental Texas.

Sounds yummy. I love crock pot meals!

One of my favorites:
Smothered Meat Load

1 lb of ground pork
1 lb of ground beef
1 can of evaporated milk
1 can cheader cheese soup
1 container of mushrooms
1 box of beefy onion soup mix (Knorr or Wylers)
1 egg
1 package of O Brian Potatoes. (by Oreida - hashbrowns that have green pepers and onion in it)

Mix pork, beef, egg, milk, one package of beefy onion soup mix and half a can of cheader cheese soup together.

Pour package of o Brian Potatoes into the crock pot covering the bottom completely.

form the meat mixture into a ball and place in the center of the potatoes. You do not want the meat to touch the edge of the crockpot. Potatoes will protect the bottom.

Pour remaining cheader cheese soup, cream of mushroom soup and mushrooms over the top

Turn on low and cook for 8 hours! :)

My whole family loves this!

I originally got this one from www.allrecipes.com, but modified it. It is the easiest recipe I've ever made and everyone who tastes it loves it!

Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken

2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 bottle buffalo wing or hot sauce ( I use either Red Hot or Steve and Edy's)
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing mix

Place chicken breast in crock pot, sprinkle dressing mix over chicken and pour wing sauce on top.

Cook 6 - 8 hours for frozen chicken breasts or 4-6 hours for fresh chicken breasts.

Shred chicken with two forks when finished and serve on rolls.

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

1 onion, chopped
2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 (16 oz) can pinto beans, undrained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, undrained
1 package taco seasoning or 4 tablespoons
1 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 (12 fluid oz) can beer or cola
Shredded cheddar cheese
Sour Cream
Tortilla Chips

Place the onion, diced tomatoes, pinto beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and beer in your slow cooker. Mix together. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slower cooker on low heat, cover and cook for 5 hours.

Remove chicken from soup and shred. Put shredded chicken back in soup and continue to cook for 2 hours.

Serve topped with shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream and crushed tortilla chips.

Rediscover Hotmail®:

I make this all the time! However, I substitute the can of beer with chicken broth...the beer made the flavor off to us. My daughter loves - better than canned soup, thicker and more of a meal!

One of my favorites:
Smothered Meat Load...
form the meat mixture into a ball and place in the center of the potatoes. You do not want the meat to touch the edge of the crockpot. Potatoes will protect the bottom.
Pour remaining cheader cheese soup, cream of mushroom soup and mushrooms over the top

Newbie question here but why don't we want the meat to touch the edge? I've never worried about that before but rarely use my crockpot. Is that just with this dish or is it a general guideline for all recipes? :confused3

I've never tried to bake sweet potatoes or corn on the cob in the crock, but it sounds interesting. I am going to make some of these next week.
Probably the meat shouldn't touch the sides so it doesn't get overdone or burnt. I usually put the roast or chicken in the center and the veggies around the edge like you do for the regular oven. When I make meat loaf I put lightly crunched up foil under it so all the grease is away from the meat, then strips of foil to lift it out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter