Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have too and they deserved to be. Something it is hard not to want to reply to something off-topic even if you know your reply is still going to be off-topic.

A thread like this is tough to mod since people do want to discuss things outside of just disney at times. I think the mods here do a good job at being fair about thing. I have no complaints (even when I have posts deleted).

I've had that hand dealt to me as well (and is usually is well-deserved). I know this....I would not want to be a moderator on this board at this unprecedented time. I have trouble sleeping now let alone with the mess that would bring.

Is construction still on-going at WDW (i.e. EPCOT) or have they backed off? If construction is considered essential and they are still working, what a great time to put hammer to nail and make some real progress while you don't have to worry about guests. They would also hire a bunch of add'l workers to help with the increased work load.

That would also help to get people back into the parks: Come see the whole new stuff we built while you were away!

Assuming they have the stomach to spend...spend...spend during a global shutdown! And yes, I know I am being optimistic.

Is construction still on-going at WDW (i.e. EPCOT) or have they backed off? If construction is considered essential and they are still working, what a great time to put hammer to nail and make some real progress while you don't have to worry about guests. They would also hire a bunch of add'l workers to help with the increased work load.

That would also help to get people back into the parks: Come see the whole new stuff we built while you were away!

Assuming they have the stomach to spend...spend...spend during a global shutdown! And yes, I know I am being optimistic.
They've halted all construction.

Actually per a report I just got some things have resumed. I would imagine not everything but apparently not nothing either.

Hopefully Epcot is part of that. Wiith all those barriers up, it would be almost impossible to do any kind of social distancing which could be an issue if they open in June. Having room to spread people out will likely be needed and that is an issue in epcot's current state

Speaking as someone who had a post deleted a few days ago :) ...There's plenty of data and models and judicious criticism of the limits of the data and the sensitivity of the models out there from experts, often on venues that have some sort of editorial control. That's the place for getting data needed for informed guesses.

But why should they not be then allowed to share that data here? When it DIRECTLY relates to the discussion of theme park operations/re-opening etc... Especially when the #1 reply to such a comment often will be: "Source?"

But why should they not be then allowed to share that data here? When it DIRECTLY relates to the discussion of theme park operations/re-opening etc... Especially when the #1 question to such a comment will be: "Source?"
Because much of that data is as one poster used, uk data, or global data, or even us data. None of that is relative to florida or orlando. The virus is progressing at different rates in different places and has a different impact in each. The only information directly relative to WDW truly is what's happening in Florida. Because that has the largest impact on their decisions based on government decisions here.

Because much of that data is as one poster used, uk data, or global data, or even us data. None of that is relative to florida or orlando. The virus is progressing at different rates in different places and has a different impact in each. The only information relative to WDW truly is what's happening in Florida

Disagree. The decisions of re-opening will be based on the US as a whole. Unless they plan on only allowing Floridians.

Disagree. The decisions of re-opening will be based on the US as a whole. Unless they plan on only allowing Floridians.
If the government in florida isnt allowing people in that does effect the decision. If the peak isnt u til mid may and lasts through june but in georgia it is in mid april and lasts through may. Georgia rules will have no bearing on florida hence Disney. Local and state at the moment have much more effect on disney than national. Orange county is locked down. Florida soon will.be as a state. What is going on here has more bearing on disney than what is going on in Oklahoma. If oklahoma allows foreign flights or opens up travel but florida doesnt. Wdw isnt effected by oklahoma. And as we've seen in the us. Due to the various time frames it is a state by state decision. Not the fed.

Not if they had healthcare for their family through Disney. Paying for Cobra will leave them in a much worse position.
Unfortunately that's not something disney can take care of. My company certainly didnt when it laid me off due to the virus impact on corporate financials

If the government in florida isnt allowing people in that does effect the decision. If the peak isnt u til mid may and lasts through june but in georgia it is in mid april and lasts through may. Georgia rules will have no bearing on florida hence Disney. Local and state at the moment have much more effect on disney than national. Orange county is locked down. Florida soon will.be as a state. What is going on here has more bearing on disney than what is going on in Oklahoma. If oklahoma allows foreign flights or opens up travel but florida doesnt. Wdw isnt effected by oklahoma. And as we've seen in the us. Due to the various time frames it is a state by state decision. Not the fed.

I understand that. But Disney can't financially survive on Florida attendees only. They rely on the rest of the US and world to support them. So if cases are still exploding elsewhere the in US, they would be fools to open up and allow them to attend. So, they'll either have to a) restrict it to Flordians only while it continues elsewhere. Which begs, can they afford to? or b) wait until it has settled down throughout the US

This only works if you are assuming FL will be the last hit. If they are in the middle, or if other areas linger longer, then what happens in other areas will absolutely affect FL. WDW is not a FL park like a Six Flags would be. It's a local, national, and international park. So some businesses in FL may open long before WDW would. The supposition that only FL matters to WDW is simply incorrect. It may matter most, since WDW will not open until FL says it can, but it won't be the only factor. Not by a long shot.

Unfortunately that's not something disney can take care of. My company certainly didnt when it laid me off due to the virus impact on corporate financials
Oh, I completely understand that. I just think many people thinking people are going to better off because they are getting "more" in unemployment are missing the big picture situation for many of these people.

This only works if you are assuming FL will be the last hit. If they are in the middle, or if other areas linger longer, then what happens in other areas will absolutely affect FL. WDW is not a FL park like a Six Flags would be. It's a local, national, and international park. So some businesses in FL may open long before WDW would. The supposition that only FL matters to WDW is simply incorrect. It may matter most, since WDW will not open until FL says it can, but it won't be the only factor. Not by a long shot.
I think it is going to have to work it's way through the worst for the whole country before they can reopen. It does no good to reopen only to create a new hotspot that can spread across the country.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter