Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
It amazes me how many people who have reservations for value resorts are disparaging OKW and SSR as if they are not massive upgrades to what they booked. Disney, if they actually move you, are giving you a room that is far superior, in a resort that actually feels like a resort. As a DVC owner, who had stayed in values, moderate, and deluxes, I speak from experience; you should be excited to stay at SSR or OKW as they are really nice upgrades.

I'll take what I get and be happy about it (as long as it isn't a FW Cabin.. then I will be sad) but I actually wanted Pop. The new room renovations are great.. I love the easy dedicated one stop bus system. My Mom likes Pop and was super excited about the skyliner.

Also, not all of these upgrades give us two beds, which means I get 5 nights on a sofa bed. Not exactly my ideal situation. I don't consider moving from a bed to a sofabed a big upgrade and sleep quality is important to me.

It amazes me how many people who have reservations for value resorts are disparaging OKW and SSR as if they are not massive upgrades to what they booked. Disney, if they actually move you, are giving you a room that is far superior, in a resort that actually feels like a resort. As a DVC owner, who had stayed in values, moderate, and deluxes, I speak from experience; you should be excited to stay at SSR or OKW as they are really nice upgrades.
People like what they like... It's irrelevant what others think. Some people like the in your face style of values, some people feel that deluxes and dvc are too fancy, etc.
I personally only stay deluxe, for many reasons. And, I LOATHE OKW and SSR. SSR especially. It's like renting any old air bnb condo off site, with an on-site price tag. OKW is similar. Plus I lived in the Keys, so have no interest in it.

people choose resorts for different reasons....my kids are super excited about the pirate rooms at CBR, and the Skyliner access is impossible to replicate no matter how "superior" another resort may be. There are a lot of factors that go into choosing a stay, and feeling like a "resort" isn't always one of them.
Also, for example, SSR has a queen bed and a sofabed (or pull-down, in the renovated rooms). For people who don't sleep in the same bed together who'd booked a resort with two double or two queen beds in the room, this could be a serious negative. At least OKW still has two queens, I believe. But they also have stairs in many of the buildings--another serious negative. Not to mention the lack of a food court or QS.

So it's easy to see why some people aren't happy about being moved. And, as @NashvilleMama wrote, people like their resort of choice for very different reasons.

Possibly. Even so, the math is still the math, and you’re looking at 5,000 rooms managing the volume of a total of 35,000 (or 14% of total capacity). The math doesn’t work.

Also, interestingly, as you note, Disney has NOT pulled all availability of DVC resorts from DVC members, so that even further reduced the availability to rebook value and mod guests. Finally, looking just now, I’m clear to book whatever I like (non-value) at Jambo for 7/15-7/18. That’s a change!

edited: add Jambo as now available to book for DVC

Yes,, but they could still pull if they want. We still don’t know how many people have canceled..I think there is a lot of DVC not typically there...but, from what has been speculated to me is that Disney is in no rush to open any of their own resorts if they can handle things using DVC and Ft Wilderness.

So, as long as they can, I would be very surprised if we see announcements for other resort openings in July...

SSR would be great with DS nearby. OKW is technically walkable to Disney Springs as well if you’re feeling froggy.

OKW is easily the best social distancing Hotel you can stay at with its massive rooms, massive balconies, and parking right outside your building so you can avoid the resort buses.

The only reason SSR has its reputation is because Disney overbuilt it. If it was 1/3 smaller I don’t think it would have its reputation, but it’s just so big that there’s more supply then demand

Not if you need 2 real beds & you get stuck in a studio with one bed & a sleeper sofa. As much as I can’t stand the values (sorry just my opinion), I need 2 beds.

What if you are an AP holder? You won't be able to book a room??

Based on what was released, it doesn’t seem like it...but then again, they also didn’t mention that they may be only accepting park reservations during those 4 days for 2020 stays either, and that is what seems to be the info shared with many TAs.

SSR is a challenging resort if you do not have a car; that is a consideration. :)

I really wish that they would figure out a way to do a day of reservation for a different park than you were in. I can't imagine that everyone that reserves a park will be there all day. It would be nice if they could build in the option to check availability for later in the day at the parks and "hop" to those even if you had a reservation for a different park earlier in the day. Obviously it would require canceling the park you had so you could free up that spot, but it would be nice if you could switch mid-day or something. I'm sure they won't, but it would be nice, especially if they ever go back to normal hours in the evening.

Yeah kinda. They didn’t have information about AOA but once I brought up my peasant status it sounds like I would get moved somewhere. If it was upwards then no cost if to pop I would get a partial refund. Honestly I wanna go to AOA and Pop would be my resort of choice if AOA was closed but I am not a picky peasant. If it’s a campsite then a tent it is.
Well, I may be a peasant, but a tent is a hard no for me :sad2:

I think it may be only through 2020. There is some rumors of truth to that though. I guess people with 2021 will find out Monday unless we get some official word before then from Disney.
I sure hope so! I'm now on my third reservation during this mess, lol, and I haven't received "the" e-mail but see that plenty of folks who have stays in 2021 or are ticketless have, so I guess we'll all find out at the same time!

Also, for example, SSR has a queen bed and a sofabed (or pull-down, in the renovated rooms). For people who don't sleep in the same bed together who'd booked a resort with two double or two queen beds in the room, this could be a serious negative. At least OKW still has two queens, I believe. But they also have stairs in many of the buildings--another serious negative. Not to mention the lack of a food court or QS.

So it's easy to see why some people aren't happy about being moved. And, as @NashvilleMama wrote, people like their resort of choice for very different reasons.

I agree and everyone has their preferences...including those of us who own DVC! So, when a guest finds out where the move is, it then becomes a real decision is it still worth it for them to go...regardless of what it normally costs for the new place.

I am not an AKV person and will not book those resorts, even if it saves me points. I bought RiV last year to add to my home resorts, and sold BWV, even though points at BWV were less per night,

I really hope that as many cash guests as possible who have to be moved because resort is still closed get something they feel allows them to still go!

Yes,, but they could still pull if they want. We still don’t know how many people have canceled..I think there is a lot of DVC not typically there...but, from what has been speculated to me is that Disney is in no rush to open any of their own resorts if they can handle things using DVC and Ft Wilderness.

So, as long as they can, I would be very surprised if we see announcements for other resort openings in July...
With the park reservation system live in less than 48hrs, I would hope they’ve already pulled what they intend to offer cash guests. Otherwise going to be a lot of disappointed people with park reservations and no place to stay....and a lot of disappointed people with open resorts and limited park reservation options. The making of a bad day for CMs on Monday, if this is truly Disney’s plan.

I really wish that they would figure out a way to do a day of reservation for a different park than you were in. I can't imagine that everyone that reserves a park will be there all day. It would be nice if they could build in the option to check availability for later in the day at the parks and "hop" to those even if you had a reservation for a different park earlier in the day. Obviously it would require canceling the park you had so you could free up that spot, but it would be nice if you could switch mid-day or something. I'm sure they won't, but it would be nice, especially if they ever go back to normal hours in the evening.

I anticipate that will happen at some point..

With the park reservation system live in less than 48hrs, I would hope they’ve already pulled what they intend to offer cash guests. Otherwise going to be a lot of disappointed people with park reservations and no place to stay....and a lot of disappointed people with open resorts and limited park reservation options. The making of a bad day for CMs on Monday, if this is truly Disney’s plan.

Any DVC owner who has not yet booked, knows things can go to CRO within 60 days. If someone is still waiting to book as a DVC member, and can’t at this point, because it disappears, it’s on them.

I know they have asked people to confirm but only through July 11th..once Monday hits, if hey open it up for many dates, that is when they may actually pull the room as some will cancel when they find out where they are going. We simply don’t know

I’m booked in a non DVC WL room July 11th and haven’t been switched yet. Have they started with July 11th arrivals yet?

I’m booked in a non DVC WL room July 11th and haven’t been switched yet. Have they started with July 11th arrivals yet?

No. The rumor is you can call Monday and they will tell you where you are going if you are keeping the dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter