Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the government will have new guidelines that will be put into place for each State and the counties within the state.

Low, Medium, High risk. With lower risk counties being able to reduce their social distancing policies.

Seems more information will follow soon......

So if this news is correct its going to be up to Orange county really to make decisions on what can and can not open.

Stupidest move ever 🤦

This lack of update from disney I know is driving a few of my cast member friends crazy. (I.e. paid, reopening, etc) It's not just people's vacation plans.

There are a lot of people in limbo due to no announcement from disney - people who have trips, TAs, CMs, third parties that work for disney, even suppliers of Disney don't know if they need to preparing deliveries or not. It's a lot of people waiting to know.

With the new relief package that will be signed soon, WDW may be able to temporarily lay off a good part of the CM's knowing that here in Florida the high limit on unemployment benefits is only $275, the relief package adds $600 for 4 months. Quick math...that's about $25 an hour pre tax...or up to $875 take home tax free per week for 4 months. This money will also not be taxable income at the end of the year.

Long story short this will be a huge savings to the bottom line and maybe why they are waiting to make an announcement.

With the new relief package that will be signed soon, WDW may be able to temporarily lay off a good part of the CM's knowing that here in Florida the high limit on unemployment benefits is only $275, the relief package adds $600 for 4 months. Quick math...that's about $25 an hour pre tax...or up to $875 take home tax free per week for 4 months. This money will also not be taxable income at the end of the year.

Long story short this will be a huge savings to the bottom line and maybe why they are waiting to make an announcement.
Actually unemployment is considered taxable income by the IRS.

Not sure that this is a realistic comparison by Mr Gates. It’s apples and oranges.

The difference in the spread of the virus in China as opposed to the spread in the US - is the quick and complete handling of the crisis in China once it was realized what was happening. It was a full and complete shut down, not piece meal. Everything at the epicenter of Wuhan province was completely & immediately closed from businesses and schools to public transit and Lunar New Years social gatherings. The full closure of the country came very quickly after that. The World Health Organization had the highest praise for how things were done - holding them up as a model to be emulated.

A lack of national leadership combined with a State by State handling of this crisis in often times slow and incomplete responses and a scary lack of resources could mean a very different outcome in terms of timeline and length. There are still those who hold the power who believe that this is a gross over reaction.. just last night one State Governor overturned the counties in his state who had enacted their own shelter in place or social distancing requirements. Not helpful and from what we know works - it’s ill advised.

Strong clear limits hopefully in the short term is what will get things returning to normal quicker.. what the new normal is remains to be seen.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
The US has now passed the cases in Spain, is less then 500 cases from those in Italy.. and at this rate will surpass China in the next few days.

A frightening reality check 🙁

Eh, I exepct will be the leader soon, if not already. We're testing a lot more, plus a much bigger population than Spain and Italy (roughly 330 mil vs 60 mil and 45 mil). I wouldn't trust anything China is saying. I bet they have way more than what they're reporting. I believe our death rate is a lot lower than Italy's at the moment still.

Eh, I exepct will be the leader soon, if not already. We're testing a lot more, plus a much bigger population than Spain and Italy (roughly 330 mil vs 60 mil and 45 mil). I wouldn't trust anything China is saying. I bet they have way more than what they're reporting. I believe our death rate is a lot lower than Italy's at the moment still.
Italy’s death rate is over 10%. The US death rate stands at just under 1.5%.

But statistics can be misleading. Yesterday, my county was at 96 cases and a 0% death rate. Today, we have lost two people and we are up to 156 confirmed positive cases. Suddenly we are at a 1.2% death rate.

We are the leader now.

Interesting take. Perhaps mgmt waited for clarity on the relief bill so they could be assured CMs would be "taken care of" till Disney World reopens.

I've been lurking on this thread for a couple of weeks now. I'm a HS marching band director and I had a group of 106 set to arrive at Pop Century on April 15. Our travel agency had us booked through Disney Youth Groups and we've been going back and forth for weeks! Because we are a group we couldn't cancel, just reschedule. And we were responsible for all 32 rooms. So basically we all went, or people lost their money. What a nightmare. Well Disney finally let us cancel for a full refund yesterday, but it's going to be weeks/months before we get the money back. I'm really disappointed that Disney hasn't announced a closure yet. This isn't the way Disney usually operates.

Our marching band is in the same situation, but as of now has been unable to cancel and be issued a refund. We had 105 people arriving on 4/15, also checking into Pop. Were you able to get a full refund on everything including park tickets? I wasn’t sure how park tickets refunds would be handled since these have already been linked to each person’s MyDisney Experience so they could make their fastpass reservations.

It's going to be Easter when it reopens.

That's what the President said, and his supporters in local and state governments are going to follow suite.

The "back to work" and "cure worse than the disease" memes and conversations are already out there. As of today they are on the far right, but you're starting to see some slippage to the center. You're also starting to see data that suggests that a) many many many many more people are infected and many others have already had it, survived without serious notice and are now immune and b) the mortality rate is lower, maybe by an order of magnitude. WSJ had researchers saying that yesterday. We'e also starting to see the limits of self isolation and lockdowns that aren't really lockdowns, especially with a virus that can survive on surfaces for a long period of time. When they sold the public on flattening the curve, most of those diagrams didn't actually have durations on them, but if you look into it you'll see that the model for flattening has the duration into April of 2021. Clearly that was never going to be sustainable.

So what you're going to see over the next week -- probably starting Monday, though maybe on the Sunday shows -- is the conversation going to "we need to diligently protect our most vulnerable," with senior centers and rest homes and such all being on mandatory quarantine. Social services are going to be offered to those most vulnerable outside of controlled facilities, but the responsibility for avoiding infection is going to he shifted towards them. Then, that next week will be slowly ramping things back up for normal operations, and WDW will follow along.

My source is https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

And it now shows that we have more reported confirmed cases in the US than China has reported. (I still don’t trust government of China to have been transparent with anything regarding this virus).

I don't trust china either. but yeah it was about an hour or so ago that all the media started reporting we were in the lead. Guess that site was just a little behind in updating.

Still though now a spot we want to be in at all.

I don't trust china either. but yeah it was about an hour or so ago that all the media started reporting we were in the lead. Guess that site was just a little behind in updating.

Still though now a spot we want to be in at all.
Haven’t we now tested far more people than any other country?

It's going to be Easter when it reopens.

That's what the President said, and his supporters in local and state governments are going to follow suite.

The "back to work" and "cure worse than the disease" memes and conversations are already out there. As of today they are on the far right, but you're starting to see some slippage to the center. You're also starting to see data that suggests that a) many many many many more people are infected and many others have already had it, survived without serious notice and are now immune and b) the mortality rate is lower, maybe by an order of magnitude. WSJ had researchers saying that yesterday. We'e also starting to see the limits of self isolation and lockdowns that aren't really lockdowns, especially with a virus that can survive on surfaces for a long period of time. When they sold the public on flattening the curve, most of those diagrams didn't actually have durations on them, but if you look into it you'll see that the model for flattening has the duration into April of 2021. Clearly that was never going to be sustainable.

So what you're going to see over the next week -- probably starting Monday, though maybe on the Sunday shows -- is the conversation going to "we need to diligently protect our most vulnerable," with senior centers and rest homes and such all being on mandatory quarantine. Social services are going to be offered to those most vulnerable outside of controlled facilities, but the responsibility for avoiding infection is going to he shifted towards them. Then, that next week will be slowly ramping things back up for normal operations, and WDW will follow along.
I wouldnt put.money on that if I were you

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter