Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I might have seen this a couple times, but we're not all like that. The only time I tell someone I'm DVC is when I use my discount. Or if I want to got to the Top of the World. I just wanna have fun, and save a little bit of money if I can
Yeah, I really disagree with the notion that most APs or DVC members are like this. It ignores the silent majority who you have no idea are AP/DVC.

Masks are only an issue due to the selfishness of a lot of people. And those people who break rules on masks and social distancing in places where they are required should be removed from those places so they have no opportunity to be selfish. Then those people will be the example and those who follow rules can enjoy their experiences.

People generally will follow rules as long as they view those rules as reasonable. Wearing face coverings in a crowded store during a fast-spreading pandemic is probably something most people would find reasonable. However, forcing people to wear masks while laying down on a pool lounger in the hot son 6 feet away from everyone else is something most people won't find reasonable.

It's unfortunate that during this pandemic, there seems to be a segment of people that have gone WAY overboard with their restrictions and lockdowns and decided to force that on everyone else. And that's resulted in full-scale pushbacks. There is also a tremendous amount of conflicting information, not just from politicians, but from the news media and even scientists.

I really think the extra month proves that they are trying to do the right thing both from a safety and a customer service standpoint. I’m willing to bet that, by the time they open, the new guidelines will be so well integrated that it will look like they’ve always been there. They are willing to take the time and the money to do this right.
Or do they think that's when they'll be enough business to make it worth it for them. All other signs are pointing to the latter. And bonus they get to spin it as we were the only company to not open so we could do it more safely than all those others who don't care about their guests.

Obey rules and you won't be shamed. Too bad. Sometimes people have to be called out and ostracized for outing others in danger and not following rules. Its the same at universal. No different at all
I don’t plan to break rules, but I’m shocked by the number of ppl who would motivated by this. I could give a darn about what other ppl think about me on Twitter or anywhere.

Not drinking the mask kool aid. No matter how they try to market them, it’s going to make for a miserable time in the Florida summer heat. Can’t imagine how parents are going to keep masks on small children. We just pulled the plug on a $14k stay between Disney and Universal July. First time we cancelled in 25 years. Always do 2 trips a year. Will return when things hopefully get back to some sort of normal. A Disney World trip is complex in normal times. This pandemic will complicate things exponentially.

So far there have been no reports at City Walk and Disney Springs of people passing out due to masks.

It's only May the hottest parts of summer are coming. Second how long can you spend in disney springs partially open really a few hours at most? The theme parks are a whole different animal wearing a mask all day and mostly being outside.

The problem they will face on really hot days is everyone will want to get inside stores and restaurants and they can only let so many people in! Way way way less than normal. Think how packed the main stores are on hot days. You are gonna see people wanting a break from masks and sitting in restaurants much longer. They will have such little capacity , you can see the problems. They can only hold so many people in the reduced capacity stores, restaurants, or mask break areas. Disney has so much to solve , they can't really change the entire experience this quickly. If your a local or some special situation then sure go for it, but for a family to spend savings on a trip that will be so limited i just hate to think that. Really encourage those people to delay who can. Go when its fun again. You really can't expect Disney to change pretty much the entire experience in such little time. Transportation i see being the real weak link here and just so hard to solve. People are gonna be baking the heat, already exhausted watching buses 1/4 full leave.

Chapeck CNBC interview - Actual quote"
"at Walt Disney World, we believe that we will be at least able to cover our costs opening up the parks"

If you think they are throwing unlimited cash out to open, they are going to be watching costs more than ever in disney history. The accountants are going to be putting a cost on everything.

Obey rules and you won't be shamed. Too bad. Sometimes people have to be called out and ostracized for outing others in danger and not following rules. Its the same at universal. No different at all

Having that view means you assume a random picture with no context tells the whole story. If you stand up at a table while you are eating and a random blogger snaps your picture and post it on Twitter with zero context to shame you, you wouldn’t be saying too bad. We have already seen pictures took at angles to shame people for not social distancing when they are actually properly social distancing. But let’s get that ostracization train rolling at full speed.

Lol...oh please...it is not solely or even primarily only about safety...it's a out money and "enough money/reward." You can say that it's not; but it is (after all it is a business.) Reduced hrs. is the OPPOSITE of what would help with social distancing. Not opening all parks and water parks is the OPPOSITE of what would help with social distancing.

Look around, all other water parks are opening; let me guess those parks don't care a out safety right? Give me a break at the end of the day it's about money while obviously taking reasonable precautions to not get bad PR regarding safety etc. Disney has decided they need more bang for their buck than other places...to make it worth it for them. This stinks A LOT for a customer, but is smart business sense...at least short term.

Maybe you should vote with your wallet, eh?

People generally will follow rules as long as they view those rules as reasonable. Wearing face coverings in a crowded store during a fast-spreading pandemic is probably something most people would find reasonable. However, forcing people to wear masks while laying down on a pool lounger in the hot son 6 feet away from everyone else is something most people won't find reasonable.

It's unfortunate that during this pandemic, there seems to be a segment of people that have gone WAY overboard with their restrictions and lockdowns and decided to force that on everyone else. And that's resulted in full-scale pushbacks. There is also a tremendous amount of conflicting information, not just from politicians, but from the news media and even scientists.
This! And now it’s become some sort of badge of honor like it makes you a good person b/c you wear a mask....outside by yourself.

It's only May the hottest parts of summer are coming. Second how long can you spend in disney springs partially open really a few hours at most? The theme parks are a whole different animal wearing a mask all day and mostly being outside.

The problem they will face on really hot days is everyone will want to get inside stores and restaurants and they can only let so many people in! Way way way less than normal. Think how packed the main stores are on hot days. You are gonna see people wanting a break from masks and sitting in restaurants much longer. They will have such little capacity , you can see the problems. Disney has so much to solve , they can't really change the entire experience this quickly. If your a local or some special situation then sure go for it, but for a family to spend savings on a trip that will be so limited i just hate to think that. Really encourage those people to delay who can. Go when its fun again. You really can't expect Disney to change pretty much the entire experience in such little time. Transportation i see being the real weak link here and just so hard to solve. People are gonna be baking the heat, already exhausted watching buses 1/4 full leave.

Chapeck CNBC interview - Actual quote"
"at Walt Disney World, we believe that we will be at least able to cover our costs opening up the parks"

If you think they are throwing unlimited cash out to open, they are going to be watching costs more than ever in disney history. The accountants are going to be putting a cost on everything
Yes I realize that. Though if you don’t think May in Florida can be hot... well it can be... 89 today with 93% humidity isn’t exactly pleasant.

Yes I also realize many don’t spend more than a few hours at Disney springs but many don’t go a few hours without eating or drinking either so you likely will have opportunity to take you mask off.

Thats why I said Universal is the guinea pig here. No way Disney wanted to be first. They also have the social distancing squad and like I said zones to take off your mask. Disney isn’t unreasonable. They are working to accommodate. If that doesn’t work for you it’s probably best to not go to theme parks for a while.

Not sure what you’re trying to tell me with the quote. I have seen the interview several times now. I know what Chapek said. It’s what Disney has been saying for weeks now and why would they open a park if they were going to lose money?

I think it’s probable that social distancing and not cost cutting is driving the staggered hours. They will need way more busses that usual to get guests to each park without them sitting on top of each other. Even with resort capacity limited, it’s likely that they will not be able to safely transport guests simultaneously from the hotels to all four parks while maintaining some degree of safety. So if one park opens at 8, but the next doesn’t open at 9 (and so on) that frees up a bunch of busses to get people to each rope drop.

Or do they think that's when they'll be enough business to make it worth it for them. All other signs are pointing to the latter. And bonus they get to spin it as we were the only company to not open so we could do it more safely than all those others who don't care about their guests.

Why can't Disney want to make business worth it for them, and also care about their guest and cast as well? It can't be both?

It's important to buy in and believe in what you do, so that's good for you. I'm not saying Disney doesn't care about ppls safety, however money is a huge factor in what they do every day and this is no different. I will say that I'm saddened and somewhat surprised by the many things being reported that they're doing to "cheap out" so to speak. This whole pandemic is costing everyone tons of money...it's costing all businesses tons of money, Disney included, but I would expect more from one of the most successful companies.

I will also add that they've had months to figure this stuff out and other parks that have already reopened, so again they should already be ahead of the game, but instead seem to be behind in all aspects, communication, opening, the things their willing to cut/reduce etc.

Like I said we're big WDW fans usually, but this mess has really been one big disappointment after another and I think it just adds salt to the wound when I see other companies handling it much better and attempting to do/give more to their guests.
What exactly are they “cheating out” on?

They have had months to figure it out and they are doing so. The plan revealed today wasn’t decided 10 minutes before it was revealed. Their systems are already overwhelmed. You announce every little detail at once and it causes mass chaos. Us Disney fans should be used to how Disney operates by now. Announce something but add details later. They’ve always done that.

This is a very selfish mindset on display.

I have decided that the rules set by this business are not reasonable to me so I will not follow them.

I have determined that the restrictions have gone overboard and inconvenienced me so I will push back against them.

Not drinking the mask kool aid. No matter how they try to market them, it’s going to make for a miserable time in the Florida summer heat. Can’t imagine how parents are going to keep masks on small children. We just pulled the plug on a $14k stay between Disney and Universal July. First time we cancelled in 25 years. Always do 2 trips a year. Will return when things hopefully get back to some sort of normal. A Disney World trip is complex in normal times. This pandemic will complicate things exponentially.

thunderstorm or pouring rain. Which Florida in summer is frequent. You are gonna tell people they cant crowd in stores when it starts to pour, they wont listen! Its a mob seeking shelter. They will pack in the covering. Things are so complex, no way Disney can reinvent the entire experience and keep social distancing at all times. Its way too large a mission. What will the new rule enforcement team do when its pouring rain or thunder physically push people out of the stores you know they flock there and be packed and crowded and not distant at all. I know why disney wanted more time this is so complex you peel the onion and it just keeps getting more complex, and so different.

The skyliner how on earth can they clean those between riders, i heard maybe odd/even numbers each direction to air them out a little and no sharing. Not really sure that is enough if someone infected rides before you would still be just minutes. That is going to really hurt capacity in any case and after skyliner opened they retired alot of buses to save money. This whole thing seems like it would be infinitely more expensive to correctly socially distance the entire experience. Disney will be watching its money closely.

thunderstorm or pouring rain. Which Florida in summer is frequent. You are gonna tell people they cant crowd in stores when it starts to pour, they wont listen! Its a mob seeking shelter. They will pack in the covering. Things are so complex, no way Disney can reinvent the entire experience and keep social distancing at all times. Its way too large a mission. What will the new rule enforcement team do when its pouring rain or thunder physically push people out of the stores you know they flock there and be packed and crowded and not distant at all. I know why disney wanted more time this is so complex you peel the onion and it just keeps getting more complex, and so different.

The skyliner how on earth can they clean those between riders, i heard maybe odd/even numbers each direction to air them out a little and no sharing. Not really sure that is enough if someone infected rides before you would still be just minutes. That is going to really hurt capacity in any case and they retired alot of buses to save money. This whole thing seems like it would be infinitely more expensive to correctly socially distance the entire experience. Disney will be watching its money closely.
This isn’t your normal crowds so finding shelter during a storm shouldn’t be a major issue.

Skyliner should actually be relatively easy to clean. Fogger cleaning tactics have been used on these for years. With reduced capacity already in place fog every other or something along those lines and guests fill the ones not being cleaned and on the next trip you do the opposite cabin. Fairly simple. The CDC has also said that surfaces don’t spread the disease as much as originally thought.

I think it’s probable that social distancing and not cost cutting is driving the staggered hours. They will need way more busses that usual to get guests to each park without them sitting on top of each other. Even with resort capacity limited, it’s likely that they will not be able to safely transport guests simultaneously from the hotels to all four parks while maintaining some degree of safety. So if one park opens at 8, but the next doesn’t open at 9 (and so on) that frees up a bunch of busses to get people to each rope drop.
Or they could do away withbus transportation or inform of only limited bus transportation and keep longer park hrs. if it was truly mainly about safety...but wait the, you'd have lots of ppl. driving and then they might go off property and spend a few dollars...well that wouldn't be good, so no we'll just keep bus service and shorten hrs.

We almost exclusively use Disney transportation from the moment we land at MCO to when we leave, but I would understand and wouldn't have an issue with this and it gives guests a choice...but it might take away from their bottom line which is the first priority.

I'm not even saying that making money shouldn't be a huge priority, but to those who actually think all this stuff is mainly about safety...come on let's be realistic and look at the facts. It's a business after all, but personally I am disappointed on how much their want for the most they can get for the least amount seems to be taking over.

Why can't Disney want to make business worth it for them, and also care about their guest and cast as well? It can't be both?
Of course and obviously it should be, however it seems like it's much more leaning towards spending as little as possible which in turns negatively affects a customer's experience. It just seems they're much more on that side of the spectrum than other businesses around them, which is disappointing and frustrating for a fan/customer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter