Cruise questions

3DisneyNUTS

<font color=green>can't think of anything witty!<b
I was wondering if they have special classes for kids on the cruise? My son is 3 1/2 and currnetlky we are in the battle of potty training. Hopefully by the time we book the trip (dec 2004 is a pssibility) he will be trained. He is excluded from alot of stuff because he isn't potty trained and I would assume the same thing will occurr on the ship.

Oh he had a stroke in utero so there is a medical reason he is delayed. He also has a speech delay so just in case you were wondering it isn't just a potty issue although he is really good around same aged peers. The biggest obstacle is the potty issue. He even handles the speech delay better than expected. He has an awesome ability of making his wants known with children so he is socialy advanced for his age. :)

I am just wondering about this since I don't want the trip to be boring for him or tell him he cannot do a certain activities because of his potty delay.
Hopefully he will overcome this and the question will be moot LOL
Steph

He can't be excluded because he has a medical reason that he isn't potty trained. I have never sailed on Disney but do sail on Princess with 2 kids with Spina Bifida and the Princess kids program is fantastic.

There has been some discussion about whether the ADA applies to the cruises. Some say it doesn't because they are not registered in the US. Others say it applies to any ships that dock at a US port (if it does apply, the ADA would require them to accomidate his medical need).
We have not gone on a cruise, but I've read lots of posts from people who have and the cruise kid's clubs have accomidated the special needs of kids with disabilities. What you would need to do is figure out what needs he has that would require them to do something differntly than if he did not have special needs. In the case of toileting, in the past, people have reported things like getting a beeper so they can come and toilet their child when needed.
Here's a link to the official Disney page about cruising with disabilities. There was a "contact Us" link on that page to email questions, so hopefully you can send your questions to someone.

Oh my gosh I never even thought of this. The beeper idea is fantastic! I am going to speak with the cast member when I book it and see what will need to be done to accomodate. Chris has off from school this week (he goes to a special ed preschool.) So I have started no diaper today and he had 3 accidents but went about 7times on the potty. He seems to be picking it up better now but he is also 3 1/2 so it may just be a reoccuring problem for us. He may never fully get it. Like today I had to bring him in every half hour to make sure. But I am off topic LOL.

Both of you have gave me alot of info Thanks :) These boards are great!

Originally posted by SueM in MN
There has been some discussion about whether the ADA applies to the cruises. Some say it doesn't because they are not registered in the US. Others say it applies to any ships that dock at a US port (if it does apply, the ADA would require them to accomidate his medical need).

Those who say that the ADA does not apply to DCL because is is not registered in the U.S. are incorrect, as I have stated before.

The fact is that the 9th Circuit has dictated that foreign cruise lines are exempt from the ADA.

but

The 11th Circuit has stated that the ADA applies to foreign flag cruise lines when they embark and disembark passengers at U.S. ports.

The ports that Disney uses, at least for now, are in the 11th Circuit

therefore,

the decision of the 11th Circuit is the one that the Disney Cruise Lines must follow until the matter is resolved by the Supreme Court.

The potty issue, however, regardless of the cause, is not necessarily an ADA issue, but one of the health and safety of the people on the ship. I doubt that anyone with raging incontinance problems, whether child or adult, would be very welcome in many public places, including ships, and no amount of citing of the ADA would reverse that sentiment or would someone next be requesting an accommodation that because a disabled child/adult had an incontinance problem based on a disability they should be allowed to use the swimming pools?...ICK!

The potty training rule in the clubs applies to all the children.

Originally posted by videogal1
Those who say that the ADA does not apply to DCL because is is not registered in the U.S. are incorrect, as I have stated before.

The fact is that the 9th Circuit has dictated that foreign cruise lines are exempt from the ADA.

but

The 11th Circuit has stated that the ADA applies to foreign flag cruise lines when they embark and disembark passengers at U.S. ports.

The ports that Disney uses, at least for now, are in the 11th Circuit

therefore,

the decision of the 11th Circuit is the one that the Disney Cruise Lines must follow until the matter is resolved by the Supreme Court.

The potty issue, however, regardless of the cause, is not necessarily an ADA issue, but one of the health and safety of the people on the ship. I doubt that anyone with raging incontinance problems, whether child or adult, would be very welcome in many public places, including ships, and no amount of citing of the ADA would reverse that sentiment or would someone next be requesting an accommodation that because a disabled child/adult had an incontinance problem based on a disability they should be allowed to use the swimming pools?...ICK!

The potty training rule in the clubs applies to all the children.

Do all the kid's clubs go in the pool? I don't think I would be comfortable leaving my son if they were swimming and he definitely would not be going in the pool if he is not trained.

I am sorry that Videogal is misinformed. I won't even go into the ADA discussion again, but as far as your child is concerned, if there is a medical reason he isn't potty trained, then yes, the ship will try their best to accomodate him since he is age appropriate for the children's programming. There's a special "ear" in the Mickey pool that is dedicated to toddlers in swim diapers, and no, the children's programs don't take the children there due to safety/liability issues, but you could. While there's a specific policy that states children must be fully potty trained in order to participate, accomodations are made based on your child's needs once you are on the ship and speak to the counselors. ---Kathy

Originally posted by dclfun
I am sorry that Videogal is misinformed. I won't even go into the ADA discussion again, but as far as your child is concerned, if there is a medical reason he isn't potty trained, then yes, the ship will try their best to accomodate him since he is age appropriate for the children's programming. There's a special "ear" in the Mickey pool that is dedicated to toddlers in swim diapers, and no, the children's programs don't take the children there due to safety/liability issues, but you could. While there's a specific policy that states children must be fully potty trained in order to participate, accomodations are made based on your child's needs once you are on the ship and speak to the counselors. ---Kathy
Thanks Kathy.
Whether Chris had a disability or not I could never leave him in a group for swimming at 4 years old. Too little not to have one on one attention for a pool IMO.
I spoke with a disney rep concerning all of this and he told me to speak with everyone once we are on the ship just like you suggested. I am getting so excited to go :)

Stephanie- I'm going on a 7 night western DCL cruise in May. Please let me know if you have any questions or anything you'd like me to check on. I've been on two other DCL cruises since I've been in my chair. You and your family are in for a great time! ---Kathy

Originally posted by dclfun
Stephanie- I'm going on a 7 night western DCL cruise in May. Please let me know if you have any questions or anything you'd like me to check on. I've been on two other DCL cruises since I've been in my chair. You and your family are in for a great time! ---Kathy

AWWW thanks so much Kathy! The one thing you can do for me is have a great time then tell me all about it when you get back. I am so excited about going!!! I cannot WAIT!

I can't think of anything for you to find out since I think they will just decide on a case by case thing. Plus I don't know Chris may be potty trained by then. Since things went so wrong with his birth I am an over planner and a worrier. I try to prepare for worst case scenario all the time now. I drive my DH NUTS! LOL

as far as your child is concerned, if there is a medical reason he isn't potty trained, then yes, the ship will try their best to accomodate him since he is age appropriate for the children's programming. There's a special "ear" in the Mickey pool that is dedicated to toddlers in swim diapers, and no, the children's programs don't take the children there due to safety/liability issues, but you could. While there's a specific policy that states children must be fully potty trained in order to participate, accomodations are made based on your child's needs once you are on the ship and speak to the counselors. ---Kathy
I have a feeling that one of the reasons for the "wait and speak to the counselors" is that they are the ones who know what their resources are on the ship and can really decide how/what to do. Plus, that way, they can get a better idea of what your child is like and what his needs are.
My DD was one of the pioneer children with disabilities in regular day care settings. She's now 18 and when we were looking to move from a home day care setting to a day care center when she was 3, several told us that ALL children needed to be toilet trained before they could go to day care. We had been informed by a state day care consultant that was not the case; that if her inability to be toilet trained at 3 was as a result of her disability, they would need to accomidate her needs, if it was reasonably possible (keep in mind, this was almost 16 years ago). The preschool we finally choose figured out a way to accomidate her needs - they had one staff member assigned to bathroom duty and no food handling. Since some of the 3 year olds who were not disabled had accidents or sometimes needed toileting help, it was a good solution for everyone and was a reasonable accomidation.
And, when we moved and had to change day cares, the afterschool program TOLD us (we didn't have to mention it) that they would have to accomidate a child who could not be completely continent because of their disability.
Most people who know they are incontinent take precautions like wearing diapers, attends, or incontinence pads to contain their urine and/or stool and are out in the community every day. Someone who is not making any effort to contain their urine or stool would not be handling their part of the situation. Accomidation sometimes requires co-operation.
Swimming in a pool is a totally different situation (except the toddler pool, where no one is expected to be continent, just to wear swim diapers - and FYI, there are adult swim diapers too) . The ADA does not require that any accomidations be made that would put others at risk. They have to be reasonable accomidations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter