Cruising The Canal May 1, 2015 (Roll Call in Post 1)

So, now we are a few pages into this thread, I thought I would get a roll call going and see if there are any volunteers to organise a FE exchange?

If you would like me to add you to the Roll Call, please post below with the names of everyone in your party (and kids ages) and whether you have main or late dining. If you are happy you can also include your stateroom number (or Deck if you don't want to give the number).

Should we include any other details at this stage? How about where everybody is from?

Some shore excursion ideas:

DH and I did a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Wonder a couple of years ago. We did the shore excursion in Puerto Vallarta that goes to Las Caletas. It was fantastic!! The water was so clear and almost a turquoise color, the lunch buffet was outstanding and I paid $25 for a back massage. In addition, kayaking and drinks (including alcohol) were included. This was the highlight of our trip. The employees were hospitable and Las Caletas had a fun tropical feel to it (tropical birds, lizards, trees, huts, etc.). In Cabo we did a boat tour of some kind which dropped us off at a boat dock area with shops, so we had lunch at the Cabo Wabo (bland and overpriced) then took a boat taxi to/from the beach.

We felt very safe in Cabo. In Puerto Vallarta not so much, with the exception of the shore excursion we were on. When the excursion was over, my DH took a long walk across the street to Walmart and said it was kinda sketchy and dangerous (nutty drivers- not a wide shoulder to walk on). When trying to get back through customs one of the guards stopped DH and asked him what he was doing with the beer (in a mean voice) and my poor DH said he thought he was going to get arrested. The guard then winked and said he would like to confiscate it and have a few with him. :laughing:

This past October we did the Western Caribbean cruise while in Cozumel and enjoyed the Cozumel Beach Break- Playa Mia Grand Beach and Water Park excursion. DH loved it and I liked it, but it was a stormy day and the ocean was not desirable to swim in and it was dirty looking. However, the lunch buffet was great, nice swimming pool, kids pool and again free alcohol. It looks like the price has gone up and I don't think it would be worth the $72 pp. I don't remember paying that? We felt safe in Cozumel, but disliked how we were dropped off at some mall that we had to walk though just to go back to the ship. It was like going through a maze. This is how they get you to walk past all the shops to make one last ditch effort to sell stuff.

Hi everyone! This will be second and was a bit concerned our twin boys now 6 1/2 would not have as much fun going from the Fantasy to the Wonder. But sounds like may of you have already been on here and enjoyed!!!!!

Yep pulling them out of school but I know it will be worth it!

Just asked to join the FB page too and will write more later.

I too am already excited even though a year away!!!!!

Connie

Thank you! That makes me feel better! :goodvibes We have always enjoyed the Wonder! :flower3:

Yep, the Fantasy was beautiful but just far too big, although I wish the adult only areas on the Wonder were better. Satellite Falls is, without a doubt, the thing we most enjoyed about the Fantasy. I still prefer the smaller, more intimate ships though.

Hi everyone! This will be second and was a bit concerned our twin boys now 6 1/2 would not have as much fun going from the Fantasy to the Wonder. But sounds like may of you have already been on here and enjoyed!!!!!

Yep pulling them out of school but I know it will be worth it!

Just asked to join the FB page too and will write more later.

I too am already excited even though a year away!!!!!

Connie

Hi Connie and welcome to the group :)

For the Roll Call:
Athene & Brendon Stateroom 5020 First Seating dinner.

I just sent in a request to join the facebook group as well! I can't really check it out until tonight. (darn work for getting in the way of cruise dreaming!)

We were on the Fantasy in November and thought it was a beauitful ship, but much prefer the Magic and Wonder for the smaller size/number of cruisers, as well as the fact that you really do get to know the crew more on the smaller ships. (The movie theater is far superior on the new ships though!)

I can't wait to go to Puerto Vallarta! I told DH that he has to be Gopher! When I was little I would get home from Kindergarden just in time for the Love Boat and was in love with Gopher. And it seemed like they always went to that port!

So, now we are a few pages into this thread, I thought I would get a roll call going and see if there are any volunteers to organise a FE exchange? If you would like me to add you to the Roll Call, please post below with the names of everyone in your party (and kids ages) and whether you have main or late dining. If you are happy you can also include your stateroom number (or Deck if you don't want to give the number). Should we include any other details at this stage? How about where everybody is from?

Roll Call:
Stateroom 2608
Main Dining

Jason Morland 28
Charmaine Morland 32
Jude Morland 3
Baby#2 (still in my belly)

We are from Las Vegas, Nevada

We are booked pixiedust:

Our principal was great! He just asked that the kids speak to their teachers beforehand and get all of their assignments. He also felt the educational experience of the trip would far exceed any time lost in the classroom.

So excited!

Glad the principal agreed. Welcome aboard :thumbsup2

Roll Call:
Stateroom 2608
Main Dining

Jason Morland 28
Charmaine Morland 32
Jude Morland 3
Baby#2 (still in my belly)

We are from Las Vegas, Nevada

OMG, we were in Las Vegas for the first time last summer and loved it so much. I honestly didn't expect much but it was one the highlights of our trip (getting upgraded at the Caesar's Palace didn't hurt ;)). We definitely will go back there- hopefully soon.

For the roll call:
Alexandra (37) Bernd (41) and Leonie (11) in 6640

Egon (60), Elisabeth (60) in 6638

We are from Vienna and are scheduled for main dining.

For the roll call:

Lesa Ledbetter, 57, late dining and stateroom 7131. I live in Kingsland, TX about an hour west of Austin.

I just send a request to join the FB page. My name is Cynthia Brooks Thanks :)

Hey guys, just a heads up that I found a documentary type of show about the Panama Canal. It's called "Stanley on the Go" about a retired news broadcaster who cruises on a Crystal Cruise through the PC.

I have my DVR set to record it this Saturday. I'm not sure if this is only U.S. television, or Canada, UK, etc also. On that site there's a link to click to search the channel in your area.

Here's a link to the network's site, with info about this episode:

http://www.rl.tv/shows/stanley-on-the-go/

April 5 - 6:00 AM

Crystal Cruise - Panama Canal

First Stanley visits the engine room before the ship transitions the Panama Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Stanley sees it all -- locks opening and closing and the Panamanian pilot giving instructions on the bridge.

We get to spend time at WDW with my aunt and uncle only to watch them leave for Port Canaveral to take the DCL EBTA cruise this coming May. That is going to be hard! :( However, I always wanted to take a Panama Canal cruise. I'm with your daughters I wish the cruise was going to be on the Magic, but I love the Wonder and know no difference! :lovestruc. All the itineraries we like or can afford have been on the Wonder.
We did two MR cruises on the Wonder (our first two cruises) and loved her. Our next two cruises were on the Magic (the EBTA and the first Med) and we loved her just as much. We've never been on the new boats and I don't really have any interest in them.

If you would like me to add you to the Roll Call, please post below with the names of everyone in your party (and kids ages) and whether you have main or late dining. If you are happy you can also include your stateroom number (or Deck if you don't want to give the number).

Should we include any other details at this stage? How about where everybody is from?
Roll Call

Kirbo (Kirsten), Mr Kirbo, DD (10 at time of sailing), DD (10 at the time of sailing)
Some shore excursion ideas:

DH and I did a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Wonder a couple of years ago. We did the shore excursion in Puerto Vallarta that goes to Las Caletas. It was fantastic!! The water was so clear and almost a turquoise color, the lunch buffet was outstanding and I paid $25 for a back massage. In addition, kayaking and drinks (including alcohol) were included. This was the highlight of our trip. The employees were hospitable and Las Caletas had a fun tropical feel to it (tropical birds, lizards, trees, huts, etc.). In Cabo we did a boat tour of some kind which dropped us off at a boat dock area with shops, so we had lunch at the Cabo Wabo (bland and overpriced) then took a boat taxi to/from the beach.

We felt very safe in Cabo. In Puerto Vallarta not so much, with the exception of the shore excursion we were on. When the excursion was over, my DH took a long walk across the street to Walmart and said it was kinda sketchy and dangerous (nutty drivers- not a wide shoulder to walk on). When trying to get back through customs one of the guards stopped DH and asked him what he was doing with the beer (in a mean voice) and my poor DH said he thought he was going to get arrested. The guard then winked and said he would like to confiscate it and have a few with him. :laughing:

This past October we did the Western Caribbean cruise while in Cozumel and enjoyed the Cozumel Beach Break- Playa Mia Grand Beach and Water Park excursion. DH loved it and I liked it, but it was a stormy day and the ocean was not desirable to swim in and it was dirty looking. However, the lunch buffet was great, nice swimming pool, kids pool and again free alcohol. It looks like the price has gone up and I don't think it would be worth the $72 pp. I don't remember paying that? We felt safe in Cozumel, but disliked how we were dropped off at some mall that we had to walk though just to go back to the ship. It was like going through a maze. This is how they get you to walk past all the shops to make one last ditch effort to sell stuff.
I second Las Caletas! We loved it and are thinking of booking it again. The girls were seven at the time. We also got to see a whale and her calf on the boat ride back to the port.

Hey guys, just a heads up that I found a documentary type of show about the Panama Canal. It's called "Stanley on the Go" about a retired news broadcaster who cruises on a Crystal Cruise through the PC.

I have my DVR set to record it this Saturday. I'm not sure if this is only U.S. television, or Canada, UK, etc also. On that site there's a link to click to search the channel in your area.

First Stanley visits the engine room before the ship transitions the Panama Canal from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Stanley sees it all -- locks opening and closing and the Panamanian pilot giving instructions on the bridge.

Thank you for sharing! I set my DVR as well. popcorn::

I second Las Caletas! We loved it and are thinking of booking it again. The girls were seven at the time. We also got to see a whale and her calf on the boat ride back to the port.

Wow! What a neat experience!

Roll Call
Kathleen and Ron from Santa Rosa,Ca area Deck 7 mid ship can't remember room # I have second seating now but am debating about changing it. We have so many sea days this time it wouldn't be a big deal and late dining is so late I feel like I was missing things.
Because we do not have children with us we have always had the late but I am not sure it really makes a difference.

Wow, that sounds great. Unfortunately, not available in the UK :sad2: Maybe I will be able to find it on youtube or the interweb after the event ;)

that must have been a great experience. I looked at the whale watching excursions but see that they are seasonal and won't be available when we sail. Will definitely consider las caletas though. Sounds similar to Nachi Cocom at Cozumel.

Roll Call
Kathleen and Ron from Santa Rosa,Ca area Deck 7 mid ship can't remember room # I have second seating now but am debating about changing it. We have so many sea days this time it wouldn't be a big deal and late dining is so late I feel like I was missing things.
Because we do not have children with us we have always had the late but I am not sure it really makes a difference.

I know what you mean about the dining, Kathleen. We always do late but did main dining on our last cruise since we were a large group and most wanted to eat erarly. DH and I found it far too rushed though and much preferred our usual habit of leisurely getting ready, going to see the early show and then sitting in the lounge with a drink before dinner.

Roll Call
Staterooms - Deck 2
Late Dining

Gabe 33
Jasmine 34
Abella 8
Bridgette 4

Orangevale, CA

Interested in FE, but have never been part of one so I'm not sure I could handle being the organizer :(. But I could be an assistant!!

Roll Call:
John
Jen
Belle (13 on trip)
Ireland (11 on trip)
Gabs (8 on trip)

Deck 8

We live in Arizona

Would love to do FE!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter