Cruising with 3 yr old in October - Canada, Bahamas, or Eastern Caribbean?

DisneyPandaBear

Earning My Ears
Planning a cruise for October, first time with our 3 almost 4 year old (November birthday). Trying to decide between 4 night Canada, Bahamas 4 night, or 7 night Eastern Caribbean. All are HOTHs. cease of the 3 year olds first time I was thinking a shorter cruise would be better but the 7 night is looking good. I really wanted Canada but my husband wants warm instead. Because of the dates we can travel Bermuda is not an option. Am I over thinking it or should I go with my first instinct of a shorter cruise to test the kid?

Planning a cruise for October, first time with our 3 almost 4 year old (November birthday). Trying to decide between 4 night Canada, Bahamas 4 night, or 7 night Eastern Caribbean. All are HOTHs. cease of the 3 year olds first time I was thinking a shorter cruise would be better but the 7 night is looking good. I really wanted Canada but my husband wants warm instead. Because of the dates we can travel Bermuda is not an option. Am I over thinking it or should I go with my first instinct of a shorter cruise to test the kid?
Is your kid generally a good traveler? I would go with the 7 night. But, a 4 night Bahamas is a good trial and worth it (we've done 2 four nights over the years). I would not do the Canada one with a little one, because I feel like beach/pool time will be important. When DS is a little older, we'll probably try a Canada trip (or I might go with friends).

I like the 4 night Bahamas as a tester cruise. My friend took her kids on an 8 night cruise and said for her kids that was the worst mistake ever. They were done by day 5, she recommends starting out in the 3 to 5 night range. Because there's nothing worse than your kids being absolutely miserable for the last 3 to 4 days of a vacation.

I like the 4 night Bahamas as a tester cruise. My friend took her kids on an 8 night cruise and said for her kids that was the worst mistake ever. They were done by day 5, she recommends starting out in the 3 to 5 night range. Because there's nothing worse than your kids being absolutely miserable for the last 3 to 4 days of a vacation.
That’s my fear. Good to know it’s just not my own anxieties.

That’s my fear. Good to know it’s just not my own anxieties.

Knowing her kids, I'm surprised she went that long, one is a complete home body and starts to rebel when they travel to see her sister. Even the one that likes traveling was completely DONE on day 4 or 5. And those kids are 4 and 6.

We're doing a 4 night Bahamas cruise with our kids as a tester cruise, they'll be 3 and 7. I toyed with the 7 night, but I didn't want to find myself on day 5 wishing we had just done the shorter cruise.

I would do a 4 night Bahamas and stay on the ship in Nassau. Port excursions can be trickier with little kids but Castaway Cay is super easy.

One word of caution. We took our 3 YO on a
Wish cruise in September/Oct that was supposed to be a 4/3 back to back, but ended up being a 6 nt cruise (the 4 night was extended because of hurricane Ian, and the 3 nt was canceled). Our daughter had a wonderful time overall! But there were a couple of things we ran into which we did not expect. First, hurricane season- while the crew did a great job avoiding the worst of the storm impacts, especially during the day, they were booking it at night, and we were on an upper deck so we really felt it. More importantly, our daughter had never been on a big ship, and she felt that seasickness, or at least her body and brain did- she vomited overnight.. I think three times. We spent time in the infirmary to rule out other things, it was not pleasant. Having to call housekeeping for bedding changes at midnight- not pleasant! So unless you are sure how your kid will react, I would avoid hurricane season, or mitigate risk with a shorter cruise and lower deck. Second, and this is specific to the wish really, she did not like the main dining rooms- marvel and arrendelle mainly. They are very loud and intense, if you don’t know what you’re getting into, and we had marvel on our first night which started her off on the wrong foot. Everyone’s kids are different, but that was our experience. Again, she loved the cruise overall, especially all the character interactions, pools, and castaway.

Is your child very into Disney? We did 7 day eastern Caribbean in 2017 when my dds were 4.5 and 1.5 and they loved it. There were a lot of days at sea, but they were Princess-crazy and we easily booked the days with the princess meets, BBB, tea, movies, pool, dance parties and kids club. If your child is less obsessed with all things Disney, the other itineraries might be better not even so much for total days as much as total days at sea.

Another reason I'd be inclined for the 4 night Bahamas, looking at that 4 night Canada route, those might be rough choppy seas (and cold).

Only you know your kid. My daughter celebrated her 3rd birthday on a 7 night Disney cruise. Prior to that she did a 14 night b2b on another line. She had a good time on all. I'd go for the 7 night. The 4 night is over before you know it (3 is over in a blink). I also agree about going for the warmth! At least you can swim/go to the beach. We were on a Bermuda HOTHS last October and it was not the best beach weather.

Seven night gets my vote. We have been cruising with Disney since DD was 3 months old. Great fun for all ages. Plan things that you know your little one will enjoy. It will be over so quick.

Is your child very into Disney? We did 7 day eastern Caribbean in 2017 when my dds were 4.5 and 1.5 and they loved it. There were a lot of days at sea, but they were Princess-crazy and we easily booked the days with the princess meets, BBB, tea, movies, pool, dance parties and kids club. If your child is less obsessed with all things Disney, the other itineraries might be better not even so much for total days as much as total days at sea.
Yes very. We’ve been to Disney world a lot. Maybe too much. Her tenth trip is this summer. And we are from Michigan. And she is only 3.

I really want to do bbb and the tea. She has classic only child syndrome that when she sees another kid she wants to be their friend so I think she will love the kids club. She be just shy of 4 when we go too so I think a good age to start.

If we do Bahamas we will only get off at castaway cay so it’s like 2 days at sea for us. But that’s why I’m leaning towards eastern carribean more. More time to play on the ship.

Another reason I'd be inclined for the 4 night Bahamas, looking at that 4 night Canada route, those might be rough choppy seas (and cold).
Yeah it’s between Bahamas and eastern Caribbean now.

Although I’m still shooting for my Canada cruise in the future. One year….

Only you know your kid. My daughter celebrated her 3rd birthday on a 7 night Disney cruise. Prior to that she did a 14 night b2b on another line. She had a good time on all. I'd go for the 7 night. The 4 night is over before you know it (3 is over in a blink). I also agree about going for the warmth! At least you can swim/go to the beach. We were on a Bermuda HOTHS last October and it was not the best beach weather.
I’m also thinking that with 7 nights she’ll warm up to the kids club and want to play in there a bit. I think on the shorter trip she might still be a bit overwhelmed.

At this point in life, go with your husband’s wishes. He has stated a preference.
he really just wants the shorter one so he can go to Disney World beforehand. I figure I’m giving him the warm weather I should get the 7 nights haha.

We go to Disney World enough. My 3year old has already been ten times. Time to branch out but I mean not too far. Got to keep it Disney.

What dates was your Bermuda cruise? I'm looking at one in early October and the beach is my top priority.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter