Crush Coaster compared to other Coasters

Scarlet_J

Mouseketeer
I'm trying to get an idea if my kids will like it. My 5 year old just meets the height requirement (if I'm doing my inches to meter conversions correctly!), but my 9 year old is not too keen on the big coasters.

Would anyone be able to compare it to coasters from WDW? If I know how it compares to 7 Dwarfs Mine Train or Big Thunder Mountain, I could determine if they'd like it or not.

My 9 year old was fine with the Mine Train, but she wouldn't go on big thunder mountain. That was about a year ago, so she may be more adventurous now. My 5 year old is pretty adventurous so I think she'd be fine with anything she's tall enough for.

To be honest: Crush is a pretty hefty ride... it is faster and more intense than BTM, and definitely more intense than SDMT.
It also twists and turns around, which makes it faster and makes that you get "disoriented".
So... maybe it's a bit much for your kids...
I don't know your children, but I think 5 is a tad young for Crush in any case.

What you CAN do, is go to the Crush attraction and take a look. Most of the ride is indoor and in the dark, but a small part (in the beginning of the ride) is outdoors, and you can have a look at the riders from the sidewalk, so to say (close to the entrance).

And if you do decide to go on: try to get (your children) on the ride in the "backwards" seats. The seats on Crush are 4-in-a-turtle, and then 2-by-2 back to back. The ride turns around at the beginning, so "backward riders" have the larger part of the ride facing front - which is less scary and much more comfortable and enjoyable, if you ask me!

I haven't been on it since right after it opened, but the spinning is like Primeval Whirl. It's so much better than Primeval Whirl, though.

It's worse than BTMRR I think, just because of the spinning, but I would say not as bad as Rock and Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror or Space Mountain. I think it really depends on the child; some five year olds would love ToT, for example, yet the seven year old I took came off in a state of shock! :rolleyes2

I was really surprised when I tried it for the first time.... I was expecting a "cozy" kind of slow ride. But wow - it was not what I imagined. It was pretty crazy. Very fast, swirlling and in the dark. I really really liked it! If I has to compare it to a ride in Disneyland Anaheim, I would say Space Mountain. Not the same, but in my opinion comparable. :)

Thanks so much for the replies. It really helps. I'm thinking it might be a little too much for them, but I think I'd really like it! I just need to wait until my younger one gets older. She'll go on all the coasters with me and my older one and my husband can go do something else.

For sure I'll attempt Big Thunder Mountain first and see how that goes. We also have a trip planned to Hershey Park in a few weeks so I can see how they do one those coasters.

I think that the speed of the coaster itself it very much like BTMRR, however the turtle sheel spins on itself and that makes this coaster terrible for people who suffer from motion sickness. I like it very much, but I cannot do it or I can end very sick at the end.

Like other's have said, its kind of a cross between a dark ride, Primeval Whirl at AK and Space Mountain. Aside from the initial hill and drop (which can pretty much be seen outside the ride), the first part of the ride is quite slow and contains scenes from the movie. About halfway through it becomes more like Space Mountain in that its a roller coaster that you can't really see where you are going. But unlike Space Mountain, you are spinning as well (like Primeval Whirl in AK). Also like others have said, people who have motion sickness find this ride really tough. My Dad only could do it twice our whole trip because of the spinning. Definitely do BTMRR first to see what their reaction's are but Crush's Coaster is much more intense in my opinion. Also it usually gets the longest lines at the Studios so if you do want to try it, definitely rope drop it as lines easily get to about one hour right away and it breaks down A LOT.

I'm appreciating this post. My kids will love this - I'm nervous about it myself. I ride everything but Tower of Terror (hate drops) and Primeval Whirl - bc it appears to spin - a lot. I love Mater and the tea cups - but if my husband gets carried away spinning tem I feel really sick. The OP mentioned Hershey Park and there is a laugh track ride (I'm spelling it wrong). It sounds similar in that you sit 4 to a car, back to back, it is part roller coaster but it also spins. Has anyone done both and can compare? I was okay with that as it seemed to rotate more based on a curve in the ride rather than nonstop spinning which I have seen on Primeval Whirl.

Crush does rotate with the curves of the tracks, but as you're in the dark the sensation is amplified. My DD, who was 10 or 11, cried during the whole ride.

Crush's Coaster is quite possibly my favorite ride I've been on in any Disney park (both US parks and Paris). I highly recommend trying it if you think it might be okay. It is so much fun!

I agree with everyone ,its quite a ride.I would not recommend little kids going on it unless they love big rides/those kind of rides. Three years in a row i have been there and every time there has been at least one little kid behind me in the queue that the parents forced on the ride who i then see coming out in tears at the end!

It is pretty intense - I'm sure I read somewhere that Disney don't recommend it for under 8's, but that was years ago.

If you go onto youtube and look at the Sonic Spinball ride at Alton Towers it's very similar. The ride at AT is outdoors so you'll get a better idea of the twists and turns it might have.

They lock you in pretty tight which is your first clue. As a pure roller coaster it really isn't much compared to Everest, but between the darkness and the sharp turns and spinning, the first time you are like wow this is amazing. We rode this twice on the first day and then braved it again the second and that was enough for us for EVER.

My girlfriend was very afraid as we went in, she doesn't go in most rollercoasters or thrill rides. She got scared beforehand due to all the warning signs but thought it wasn't that bad afterwards. We found out later that they have the exact same text on the warning signs at Big Thunder Mountain, a rollercoaster she handles just fine.

+1 for being surprised by this.

I was there last Friday for the Star Wars night and the queue was pretty short so gave it a go with my brother in law. We were both chatting away quite happily as we sat in the shell expecting a fairly sedate experience but were pretty quickly caught off guard as it took off! It's not Rock n Roller Coaster, but there are some pretty heavy banking sections and some surprising drops. We happened to be sat backwards to begin with - part of the ride is forwards and part is backwards no matter where you start as far as I can tell, but it felt like we had more time going backwards than we did going forwards, so I'd say that could be a bit more of an extreme experience too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter