D.O.C.'s = Dis'ers of Color (Disney Fans of Color)

Would you like a dedicated/featured Forum for D.O.C.'s Dis'ers Of Color & Allies

• Total voters
Does a

Did you know the Movie “Red Tails” was completely private funded 100% by the amazing Mr George Lucas?
George shopped the story around to every movie production studio, and not a single Studio was willing to produce this film.

At a premiere of his film, and again on "The Daily Show," Lucas has said he financed the movie himself because Hollywood doesn't want to finance expensive movies with all-black casts. "They don't believe there's any foreign market for it, and that's 60 percent of their profit," he told "Daily Show" host Jon Stewart. "I showed it to all of them, and they said, 'No. We don't know how to market a movie like this.' " He also made an oblique reference to the aerial combat footage: "This is as close as you'll get to ["Star Wars"] Episode VII."

True enough, no doubt. But Lucas begs the question: Did this have to be an expensive movie? Was the purpose to make a blockbuster, or to make a statement? I imagined a film that contained more history and drama — and that was angrier.

Another World War II story, featuring a storyline driven by a Black cast is Mr Spike Lee’s “Miracle at Santa Anna”

Peace, Love and Light,
AKL Ranger

Lucas is the real deal. Let's put the movies aside (IMO the prequels are vastly superior to the sequels but that's another debate)...

My favorite Lucas story is that he wanted to put a massive production studio on his property in California. But his neighbors (rich, white, conservative... real fun group) pitched such a fit that he had to abandon the project.

So how did Lucas retaliate? He decided to build over 200 units for low-income housing. It would be a massive center with a pool, rec center, farm etc. The whole project cost about 200 million, which Lucas paid for himself.

“We have enough housing for millionaires here,” Lucas said. “We need some housing for regular working people.”

Gotta be the most beautiful, generous, and badass form of revenge I've ever seen. God bless ya, sir.

I didn’t know any of that about Lucas - that’s awesome! We started watching the HBO movie about the Tuskegee airmen with Lawrence Fishburne (I still remember how he was credited as Larry in Apocalypse Now - he was such a baby back then!). One of the actors made me think of Tony Todd, although the voice was completely wrong. So I looked up the original Candyman and it’s on Netflix. That movie scared the pants of me back in the day. Why I thought streaming it after midnight was a good idea, I‘ll never know. Anyway, I see Jordan Peele wrote a new version to be released this year. I’m debating whether I have it in me to watch it. Sorry for the hijack, I was thinking back to the earlier horror discussion.

Last edited:
I didn’t know any of that about Lucas - that’s awesome! We started watching the HBO movie about the Tuskegee airmen with Lawrence Fishburne (I still remember how he was credited as Larry in Apocalypse Now - he was such a baby back then!). One of the actors made me think of Tony Todd, although the voice was completely wrong. So I looked up the original Candyman and it’s on Netflix. That movie scared the pants of me back in the day. Why I thought streaming it after midnight was a good idea, I‘lol never know. Anyway, I see Jordan Peele wrote a new version to be released this year. I’m debating whether I have it in me to watch it. Sorry for the hijack, I was thinking back to the earlier horror discussion.
I recently rewatched the original Candyman- IT HOLDS UP! I love horror. Not sure if it was mention earlier but Larry was in Nightmare on Elm Street Dream Warriors. Best movie in the series, IMHO.

I recently rewatched the original Candyman- IT HOLDS UP! I love horror. Not sure if it was mention earlier but Larry was in Nightmare on Elm Street Dream Warriors. Best movie in the series, IMHO.

Watching Candyman is the most scared I have ever been watching a movie - but I remember watching it when I was in like middle school with a bunch of friends and we were trying to scare each other while watching it, so I was never sure how much was from that or the movie on it's own.

How excited are people for "Black is King"? I know I'm insanely pumped for new Beyonce. It saddens me that there was to be a tour announcement but because of C-19 we won't get that. I remember being super ready for Lemonade. This has the same feeling. Just real and unapologetically Black.

How excited are people for "Black is King"? I know I'm insanely pumped for new Beyonce. It saddens me that there was to be a tour announcement but because of C-19 we won't get that. I remember being super ready for Lemonade. This has the same feeling. Just real and unapologetically Black.

I haven't had a chance to really find out more about it. I think I've seen some advertisements but I'm still not sure what it is exactly?? Looks beautiful from the glimpses though! I really need to step up my Disney game, I'm so slacking!

I’m still waiting for the new Kanye album that was supposed to drop last Friday. I’m in an emotionally abusive relationship with that man.

I haven't had a chance to really find out more about it. I think I've seen some advertisements but I'm still not sure what it is exactly?? Looks beautiful from the glimpses though! I really need to step up my Disney game, I'm so slacking!
Similar to Lemonade in that it is a visual album.

Not sure if everyone is keeping up with the NBA season but the restart kicked off tonight - they are playing in a "bubble" setup,quarantining at Walt Disney World.

They have "Black Live Matter" on all the courts and the players are able to have messages on their jerseys in place of their name.

This was what was played before the first game

Really late to this thread. Just wanted to let you know I want to consider myself as an ally. As a white Christian male, I can see only some of the injustices you've pointed out. But, I'm willing to listen and learn. Hopefully, I can use the info to better understand others of color. I have two adopted hispanic kids. I want them to grow up in a color neutral society. Thanks for this thread.
Welcome Home @Tiki Birdland ,
I hope you feel welcomed to ask questions, learn, listen and expand our Disney family into not only a Diverse Family, but a more inclusive family. The goal of this thread, is create an inclusive space for People of Color and our allies plan Disney travel, share our experiences from the point of view as people of color along with our allies. Trust me, even inside the Disney bubble, the subtle “Disney difference” experienced by families of color will surprise you. From experiences with Disney Cast members blocking the only Brown person in a group from boarding a Private Boat “oh, you are with them?”, to the absolute rudeness or white supremacy Finger/hand sign flashing. I invite you start at the beginning of this thread, read heart warming stories of support from allies and interesting points of view.
Although I understand your intent of wanting your children to grow up in a ”color neutral” society, be aware things like systemic racism is very real and intrenched deeply within corporate America,
Please do not be shy.
Once this Covid pandemic settles, we are planning to host Family Reunion style meet-ups in the parks. My vision for theses Dis D.O.C.’s Reunions will be a wonderful opportunity to see the parks through each other’s eyes, share a meal or two and pose for the worlds largest “Family Photos” LOL.

Wishing you Peace, Love and Light,
AKL Ranger
Keeping Jambo House free from poachers. 🦓 🇰🇪 🦁

Lucas is the real deal. Let's put the movies aside (IMO the prequels are vastly superior to the sequels but that's another debate)...

My favorite Lucas story is that he wanted to put a massive production studio on his property in California. But his neighbors (rich, white, conservative... real fun group) pitched such a fit that he had to abandon the project.

So how did Lucas retaliate? He decided to build over 200 units for low-income housing. It would be a massive center with a pool, rec center, farm etc. The whole project cost about 200 million, which Lucas paid for himself.

“We have enough housing for millionaires here,” Lucas said. “We need some housing for regular working people.”

Gotta be the most beautiful, generous, and badass form of revenge I've ever seen. God bless ya, sir.
Mellody Hobson: A Few Things to Know About George Lucas' Wife
George Lucas said "I do" to Mellody Hobson on Saturday June 25, 2013 at his Skywalker Ranch in Marin County, Calif.
The new Mrs. George Lucas obviously made for a beautiful bride, but there's a lot more to her than just being the Star Wars creator's wife.
Here are five things you need to know about Mellody Hobson.
1. She's Smart, Successful and Financially Savvy: Hobson has been the president of Ariel Investments, a Chicago-based investment management firm, since 2000.

2. She's a Mentor: Speaking with Leanin.org, Hobson explained that her firm's founder and then-president, John W. Rogers, Jr., took an interest in encouraging her from her first day at Ariel Investments, and she's determined to pay that forward. "Now, as the President of Ariel Investments, I work hard to mentor and encourage our youngest teammates," she said. "While there are many stories to share from my years at the firm, I often echo the advice of my mentor, 'What is the worst thing that could happen?'"

3. She's All Over the Place: Mellody is chairman of the board for DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. as well as a director of Groupon Inc. and Starbucks Corporation. Busy lady! She’s a board member at Estée Lauder, Starbucks (where she chairs the audit-and-compliance committee), and DreamWorks Animation (where she chairs the entire board). For many years she was a contributor to ABC’s Good Morning America; she now works for CBS News and is on the boards of too many philanthropic organizations to list.

5. She Gives Back: Per Forbes, Mellody "works with a variety of civic and professional institutions," which include serving as board member of the Field Museum, the Chicago Public Education Fund and the Sundance Institute.

George Lucas is a dotting Dad!
Here is George with wife Melody Lucas and their Darling Daughter, “Everest.“

Wishing you all Peace, Love and Light, :wizard:
AKL Ranger
Keeping Jambo House free from poachers.
🦓 🇰🇪 🦁

I'm so excited - huge Beyonce fan here! Lemonade is one of the only albums I listen to start to finish without skipping any tracks. It's perfect IMHO.

I only got to see her perform live once (Mrs. Carter Tour in 2013). Been dying to see her again ever since!

I love that she's using her platform to produce such interesting work. Looking forward to Black is King.

D.O.C.s week in review,
Hello my fellow D.O.C,’s extended family. I hope you all had a good week and that you all are staying safe. Anyone get into “Good Trouble” this Week?
The final memorial service for the Honorable Rep John Lewis was televised today (July 30, 2020). The life lessons from such a powerful icon for the fight for Civil Rights, lessons we can only hope to aspire to. For those who did not know Rep John Lewis was truly ahead of his time, for Mr. Lewis was not just fighting for Civil Rights for People of Color, he fought for Women‘s Rights, Voter’s rights, economic justice for everyone of every color, Veterans Rights, Native American Indian Rights, and LBGT+ Rights.
Days Before His Cancer Diagnosis, Rep. John Lewis Embraced the"Moral Obligation " to Act on the Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women Crisis"

Visit the link to Indian Country Today and watch the video with Rep. John Lewis and Native American journalist Vincent Schilling.

https://indiancountrytoday.com/life...-get-into-good-trouble-3vix2JNVlk6AKgDCIsOEOQ

With all the bloodshed Rep Lewis experienced, he continued insisting the message "non-violence, Peace & Love, and Love everyone."
That is why he is the first African American Elected Official to lay in state under the US Capitol Rotunda. Although Rep Lewis was the second African American person to lay in state under the US Capitol Rotunda. The first African American person to lay in state under the US Capitol Rotunda was Rosa Parks, October 30, 2005.
May this post inspire all of you to take a moment to read about a Civil Rights hero who fought for Black, Brown Asian, Hispanic, Latino, White, Straight, LBGT+ voices.
In that spirit may we all learn from each other and share our experiences, supporting each other and our love of all things Disney.

Wishing you all Peace, Love, and Light. :wizard:
AKL Ranger
🦓 🇰🇪 🦁

Last edited:
D.O.C.s week in review,
Hello my fellow D.O.C,’s extended family. I hope you all had a good week and that you all are staying safe. Anyone get into “Good Trouble” this Week?
The final memorial service for the Honorable Rep John Lewis was televised today (July 30, 2020). The life lessons from such a powerful icon for the fight for Civil Rights, lessons we can only hope to aspire to. For those who did not know Rep John Lewis was truly ahead of his time, for Mr. Lewis was not just fighting for Civil Rights for People of Color, he fought for Women‘s Rights, Voter’s rights, economic justice for everyone of every color, Veterans Rights, Native American Indian Rights, and LBGT+ Rights.
Days Before His Cancer Diagnosis, Rep. John Lewis Embraced the"Moral Obligation " to Act on the Murdered and Missing Indigenous Women Crisis"

View attachment 514828

View attachment 514829

Visit the link to Indian Country Today and watch the video with Rep. John Lewis and Native American journalist Vincent Schilling.

https://indiancountrytoday.com/life...-get-into-good-trouble-3vix2JNVlk6AKgDCIsOEOQ

With all the bloodshed Rep Lewis experienced, he continued insisting the message "non-violence, Peace & Love, and Love everyone."
That is why he is the first African American Elected Official to lay in state under the US Capitol Rotunda. Although Rep Lewis was the second African American person to lay in state under the US Capitol Rotunda. The first African American person to lay in state under the US Capitol Rotunda was Rosa Parks, October 30, 2005.
May this post inspire all of you to take a moment to read about a Civil Rights hero who fought for Black, Brown Asian, Hispanic, Latino, White, Straight, LBGT+ voices.
In that spirit may we all learn from each other and share our experiences, supporting each other and our love of all things Disney.

AKL Ranger
🦓 🇰🇪 🦁
It was a beautiful ceremony - I watched the whole thing. What a sendoff for a person who made such an impact. It felt like a celebration of his triumphs.

The images from Selma are ones I remember learning in school so vividly. Insane to think how those images parallel with what's happening today.

Did anyone read his Op Ed that was released yesterday?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/opinion/john-lewis-civil-rights-america.html
My favorite line: "When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war. So I say to you, walk with the wind, brothers and sisters, and let the spirit of peace and the power of everlasting love be your guide."

He believed in the people, especially young people. I want to honor his memory by voting in November.

D23 Gold Membership on sale 23% Off!

Looks like Disney Company found another way to raise much-needed capital. The D23 Disney Fan Club is offering Gold and Gold Family Memberships at a savings of 23% off.

The sale ends tonight Friday 7/31/20 at 11:59 PM

To take advantage of this sale you must enter Promo Code:
D23EXCLUSIVE
https://d23.com/d23-membership/
https://d23.com/d23-membership/

AKL Ranger
🦓 🇰🇪 🦁

Just finished watching Black is King - Pretty stellar movie - absolutely gorgeous. Made me think of a mother telling a story/giving advice to her child - obviously some specific for a mother of a black child, but much of it was very universal. Some of the style reminded me of home movies.

Favorites song was Mood 4 Eva and Brown Skin Girl was lovely. Spirit sounded most like something readymade for a typical Disney movie

I also loved My Power.

Like @TheMaxRebo said, visually stunning. I really respect Beyonce's knack for visual storytelling. You can tell she goes to great lengths and puts a lot of care into the planning. Lemonade was another stunner. Her tours are meticulously planned as well. Homecoming was just plain fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter