Daily room checks

Well, that didn't really provide much of an answer. You need to add more context and I'm not sure why you ended it with a question mark. Thanks to @gottalovepluto for explaining it.
I don't actually need to do any of that. I'm not sure why you asked and it wasn't the primary focus on this thread. I've posted other places on these boards explaining it and the information on the policies is readily available on Disney's site. If you wanted more context, you could have explained why you were asking. But thanks for your unsolicited judgment.

They are checking for human trafficking with these checks, no matter what they call them. WDW would be a good place to hide kids like that, according to what I read about this and Disney. I suspect they are still doing these checks for this reason.
I had heard it was because of the Las Vegas shooting and it was to check for firearms or other dangerous objects. Objectively, that's understandable, but I guess if trafficking was the concern, I don't know why the checks have to be daily and how checking the rooms when guests aren't in it would address that. Regardless of the concern(s), I am at a loss as to what all of he surface touching by staff has to do with it. I don't love it regardless, and it's not something I've encountered at any other hotel I've stayed at, but it would bother me a lot less if they just would just look around without touching.

Agree with Super J. We don’t see the need to do it daily. Does this happen at Disney Springs hotel too? Maybe we’ll consider that or Bonnet Creek area for next trip.

Agree with Super J. We don’t see the need to do it daily. Does this happen at Disney Springs hotel too? Maybe we’ll consider that or Bonnet Creek area for next trip.

They know when you come back to the room. I have dogs and leave the “I have dogs” sign on the door, so they won’t enter when I am not there. Without fail, when I come back to take them for their mid-day walk, someone appears within 10-15 minutes, usually just as I have returned from walking them. I have to put them back on their leashes and drag them out of the room again while some rando comes in to touch every surface in the room by flicking switches, turning faucets on and off, and jiggling door handles because “safety.” It was one of many things that has us visiting Universal over Disney these days.
I thought part of the instructions when traveling with a pet included scheduling a time for housekeeping and/or room-check? That would solve you having to take the dogs back out again.

I had heard it was because of the Las Vegas shooting and it was to check for firearms or other dangerous objects. Objectively, that's understandable, but I guess if trafficking was the concern, I don't know why the checks have to be daily and how checking the rooms when guests aren't in it would address that. Regardless of the concern(s), I am at a loss as to what all of he surface touching by staff has to do with it. I don't love it regardless, and it's not something I've encountered at any other hotel I've stayed at, but it would bother me a lot less if they just would just look around without touching.
Have been present for about half a dozen checks. Never saw them touch anything besides a door handle to peak in a bathroom which I told them was unoccupied. This touch it all report is an oddity.

I thought part of the instructions when traveling with a pet included scheduling a time for housekeeping and/or room-check? That would solve you having to take the dogs back out again.
I asked that at the front desk both times and they refused to schedule security checks saying they had to be “at random” and said if I wanted housekeeping to let them know but they couldn’t guarantee a time so I’d just have to wait with the dogs and leave when they came or place the dogs somewhere else for the day. At AOA we ended up being next to the housekeeping area so we’d chat while I had the dogs on walks and I would just change out my own towels from the cart and if they saw me they’d just ask if I wanted them to run in really quick and freshen up, take trash out, etc while I walked the dogs and I’d say sure if I needed something. I tipped them for being accommodating. No one at the front desk or housekeeping or security was rude, nor was I to them, but the “checks” were just weird.

Have been present for about half a dozen checks. Never saw them touch anything besides a door handle to peak in a bathroom which I told them was unoccupied. This touch it all report is an oddity.

It happened both stays - every light and every faucet. I went on the boards and saw other complaints about that at the same time so I know I wasn’t alone in this experience. During my 2021 stay, masks were still required in the indoor areas of the resorts and parks, etc so I did stop by the desk just to say hey, I understand you have a policy but could you please do a reminder or something for them to wear a mask and not to touch anything. The CM just kept repeating the clearly scripted response that the security checks “have a procedure that must be followed and are for your safety.” They offered to have housekeeping come wipe things down but I said no I had my own wipes, but it was more just an issue I saw with what they were doing and if people didn’t know that had happened, they are assuming the rooms are their clean space vs someone coming in after touching who knows how many high-touch surfaces. The CM just kept repeating the same line so I just gave up. I still don’t understand it. Maybe they got enough feedback and changed it?

Disney resorts are private property. They are entitled to set their own rules about things like security. What exactly they are looking for is NOT something they are going to publicly discuss for reasons that should be obvious. One way to defeat any sort of security measure is know the details of what they are doing. Disney probably has a number of safety protocols being a high profile destination, some that are more obvious than others.

Last time we were at Disney we were mostly away from our room during the day at one of the parks. Our room was made up while we were out. If someone from security also visited our room while we were gone we never knew and didn't really care. When in the room, it makes sense at ANY hotel to lock the inside latch so someone from the staff can't walk in unannounced. We have done that for YEARS long before any of the current security discussions.
I definitely agree with you 100%. To be clear in case this was directed at me at all, the times where I was walked in on while showering or getting dressed, we didn't blame that on security. We understand why they do the checks. I take forever to get showered, changed, and do my make up and hair, especially late afternoon after leaving the parks and switching over to dinner mode. My husband often takes a walk, which I encourage, rather than waiting on me. Often our latch is left open so that he can go in and out. I wasn't upset that security walked in. My post was just a joke that they come back again anyway and aren't easily embarrassed by compromising situations. Honestly I'm sure it's a very uncomfortable job to go into people's rooms not knowing what to expect on the other side of the door.

We've had relatively good luck with the security checks. One time, I was resting in the bedroom, so DH just asked the CM to be fairly quiet-instead he didn't even enter the bedroom. Afterwards, we joked about how we could have hidden lots of things in the bedroom. And twice, we've scheduled our room check times "I'm going to take a nap after lunch, so please don't come in for the room check until after that", and they didn't come in until after 4:00-4:30.
Only once did we have an odd encounter. The housekeeper came to the door and asked if we needed new towels or anything. DH said we were fine. Then a few minutes later we got a phone call-"Why wouldn't you let housekeeping in? We need to do the daily room check!" So DH said he could- then when the supervisor came in, he stormed around, opened doors, didn't say one word to us, then left.

I agree. We stayed at Universal last November and we did not have any "room checks" at all. I wonder if only certain parks are doing this? I've never seen it at Universal before, and have never heard of it from friends who stay at Universal a lot.

They are checking for human trafficking with these checks, no matter what they call them. WDW would be a good place to hide kids like that, according to what I read about this and Disney. I suspect they are still doing these checks for this reason.
:thumbsup2 Friends that worked at Disney confirmed this to me.

I had heard it was because of the Las Vegas shooting and it was to check for firearms or other dangerous objects.
Anyone who brings along those types of objects are not leaving them out for CMs to see. Given CMs are not supposed to touch anything of the guests they wouldn't see it. AND Las Vegas was a person in a room with a great vantage point ... not sure why any Disney Value or even Moderate resort would have a vantage point. Their "advantage" is lower priced rooms in a prime location.

Objectively, that's understandable, but I guess if trafficking was the concern, I don't know why the checks have to be daily and how checking the rooms when guests aren't in it would address that.
They are trained to look for specific items that look out of place for the guests registered in to the room. They could then report back what objects they saw that would trigger more checks.

It is not a mistake that many guests get checks while they are in the room, because they are putting eyes on guests, part of their check. I agree with you that once should be enough for any guests, but the randomness is to potentially catch something. :rolleyes:
Regardless of the concern(s), I am at a loss as to what all of he surface touching by staff has to do with it. I don't love it regardless, and it's not something I've encountered at any other hotel I've stayed at, but it would bother me a lot less if they just would just look around without touching.
It is weird for sure as are the dumb excuses like "checking your fridge" "checking your air vents" "checking the tub" etc. I think they just came up with a script because they need an excuse for what they are doing because what they are doing makes no sense on the surface ESPECIALLY since no other hotels are doing this.

I agree. We stayed at Universal last November and we did not have any "room checks" at all. I wonder if only certain parks are doing this? I've never seen it at Universal before, and have never heard of it from friends who stay at Universal a lot.
When Disney started all this I was actually getting letters in my Hilton rooms stating they would not be doing room inspections like other hotels and for us to enjoy our stay. Have experienced it no where else.

I actually stopped staying on property after some bad experiences with this. I have never let them in the room. I had a trip (last straw) when I was followed to my room. They expected me to open the door which I told them I would not do and told them to use their key. I waited outside for them to do the light switching, tub exploration. When I finally did return I spoke to the front desk about it, that I would not be letting them in with myself and child there so we needed to figure out a block of time I would be gone. It worked out. Last couple times no issues but we are gone most the day. If they should come knocking on my door I would ask them to wait until I got my son's shoes on and we would exit the room shutting the door behind us. They can use their master key to enter the room. I have no assurance they are actually CMs asking to come inside my room.

Fortunately my last few onsite trips we've had no issues.

Why would human traffickers pay hundreds of dollars to stay at a WDW resort as opposed to some cheap no-tell motel? And how likely is it that a WDW maid with no law enforcement training would be able to recognize the signs?

The only time we saw anyone at Pop was occasionally on our every second day cleaning. They might have come in the other days, but no sign of them in the afternoons when we were usually in the room for a couple hours. One day they came for cleaning at around 8:30 and we were just leaving so they had no problem coming back, and it happened they came back around 2 just when DD was inside going pee and again they didn't mind coming back later!

I'm curious to learn why some people believe that Universal hotels don't have daily checks. Do these guests stay in their room 24 hours/day?
I take my dogs, so they won’t go in if the sign is on the door and I therefore don’t get housekeeping and I have never had anyone come by to say they needed to do a check or been contacted about the same. I bring a puppy cam just to keep an eye on them when I’m out (and for coverage in case anyone alleges an issue) and I have never seen anyone enter when I am not there. I believe they say in their disclosures that they can enter your room for checks but I have never experienced it.

If this is the case, perhaps Disney needs to do better background checks on their own employees who have been arrested and charged with sex crimes.

I'm curious to learn why some people believe that Universal hotels don't have daily checks. Do these guests stay in their room 24 hours/day?
Quite possibly they take a more nuanced and intelligent approach than Disney’s one size fits all, “every room gets checked every day” model. For example, when you have a family with a history of multiple visits over the years, there is a zero chance that they are planning some kind of atrocity, and it is an utter waste of everyone’s time to be banging on the door demanding to do the daily check. On the other hand, a first-time visitor, possibly paying cash for the room or with an unusual amount of luggage, might justifiably attract a bit more attention.

I wonder if Disney is legally required to perform these daily checks. Common sense dictates that it's not economical for them to do these tasks. There has to be a good reason for them to risk angering their more volatile guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter