DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I also have so many questions about this … like what is the condition that requires an emergency ride queue exit and how are they otherwise able to travel alone with a 5yo grandchild? I love my mom but I’d never let her take my (older elementary aged!) kids to a Disney park alone because it would be traumatic for them if she had a urgent bathroom need or other medical emergency and it would also be unsafe for them to be alone unsupervised while she was in the bathroom or incapacitated.

Since emotions are running high, I want to be VERY clear that I am not suggesting DAS holders shouldn’t take kids to parks (I am a current DAS user), only that this situation in very suspicious. Also, cast members won’t even let your kids on a ride under age 7 without a much older teen or adult to supervise so I SERIOUSLY doubt Disney is going to tell people their 5yo needs to wait alone.

The person got a ton of scrutiny in the post I was reading and she kept coming back to explain - it didn't sound like she was faking or pretending.

I agree DISNEY as a company do not want to tell guests to leave their 5 year old to wait in the line while the adult needs to leave the line. However, what I am trying to say is that CMs do not seem like they've been properly trained and it seems like their focus is solely on trying to reduce the usage of DAS and not applying common sense, going as far as telling someone they can use Return to Queue when the only other person in their party is a 5 year old child.

I read that person's comments. She reiterated she told the CM several times the she was going to be alone with a five year-old child and the CM still insisted the kid would have to wait by themself in the line for Grandma to come back (which is totally against Disney's own policy.)

I mean she could be lying but she seemed sincerely shocked in her posts.
The new DAS system isn't with cast members, though, right? I'm pretty sure that's why people now have to do video calls and can't speak to cast members in person to request DAS. So, I think when it comes time to go to the parks for the first time with the new changes, she can talk to a cast member at an attraction to see how the process works for her to use the return to queue accommodation if she's only traveling with a 5 year old.

I read that person's comments. She reiterated she told the CM several times the she was going to be alone with a five year-old child and the CM still insisted the kid would have to wait by themself in the line for Grandma to come back (which is totally against Disney's own policy.)

I also saw her post and I think she seemed completely emotional. I believe her first post said that “essentially” they told her the 5 year old could wait alone, which made me think when I read it that she was posting an emotional reaction. I didn’t and don’t think it was a verbatim or fully accurate accounting. Which is common when emotions are involved. I would imagine for many not getting the answers they want, emotions take over and they stop hearing what’s actually being said.

The person got a ton of scrutiny in the post I was reading and she kept coming back to explain - it didn't sound like she was faking or pretending.

I agree DISNEY as a company do not want to tell guests to leave their 5 year old to wait in the line while the adult needs to leave the line. However, what I am trying to say is that CMs do not seem like they've been properly trained and it seems like their focus is solely on trying to reduce the usage of DAS and not applying common sense, going as far as telling someone they can use Return to Queue when the only other person in their party is a 5 year old child.
Oh, I'm not suggesting she's faking or making it up. I'm just saying that, once she's in Disney World, I bet a cast member at the ride can explain the process to her. They said every attraction has its own return-to-queue process. So, I'm guessing if she asks how it works if she's by herself or with a 5 year old, the cast member at the attraction will be able to tell her.

Hearing some of the stories of people getting denied today is really sad though - a person who has epilepsy and was told if they feel a seizure coming on to just let it happen and then exit the line and head for first aid and they could return to the queue? One woman said she goes with her 5 year old grandchild and was told to leave the line and her 5 year old grandchild could hold her place in line. She repeated to the CM multiple times that it was a 5 year old, and the CM did not waver and repeated the 5 year old could wait in line by themselves.

The people being trained seem to be focused primarily on lowering the number of people using DAS and not looking at things on a case by case basis. I get the goal is to lower the number of people using DAS, but they don't seem to be applying much common sense here. Sure there are probably people who can get by without DAS and I understand asking more questions and trying to weed out potential abusers or people who perhaps could get away with a different service, but I think Disney needs to re-think what qualifies based on some of the above.

imho they seem to have gone from being too lenient to being obtusely strict. It is like the scales have been tipped way too far the other way.

What percentage of DAS users were cheaters? Those cheaters will find a way. It's a matter of time and probably not a long time. Bet they're already sharing how to beat the new rules.

And these are the people tasked with deciding who gets DAS? Holy cow, you can tell this person doesn't have children or has never been around them.

It’s not just abuse, it’s overuse.

And I question the veracity of anyone claiming that a CM told them to let a 5yo wait alone.
Keep in mind that reports might not be true and to take everything with a grain of salt (large grain).
There are definitely people posting things in various places just to cause worry and trouble.
For example, I've seen Facebook posts where people have said 'stroller as wheelchair' tags will no longer be given out. They also said only 'actual wheelchairs' will get a tag and that parents with children who had used the tags with a stroller would just need to carry their child.
That's clearly false since the stroller information is still on the websites and they even added a reason that wasn't there before - an adult who is using the stroller as support for their own disability.

I would disagree on what could be considered reasonable accommodations.
I ultimately imagine that any lawsuits coming will focus on this issue. I also imagine Disney believes they will win or they wouldn't be offering the reasonable accommodations they are offering.

My main reason for being suspicious of that story is that, multiple posts throughout the day on this thread and across other threads have mentioned asking how the return to line queue would work, only to be referred back to the company policy stated on the website that they need to check with individual attraction cast members to determine how that would work. What are the odds, that this woman was told something else entirely, but also that concretely and matter of factly that she would have to then force her 5 year old to stay in the line to hold her spot and a cast member told her that? Maybe it happened, I don't know...it just would seem to go against everything that has been stated throughout the day, and also would seem to go against the current bathroom pass policy for non-disabled guests who need to leave the general queue as it is if they or someone in their party has to rush to the bathroom.

The new DAS system isn't with cast members, though, right? I'm pretty sure that's why people now have to do video calls and can't speak to cast members in person to request DAS. So, I think when it comes time to go to the parks for the first time with the new changes, she can talk to a cast member at an attraction to see how the process works for her to use the return to queue accommodation if she's only traveling with a 5 year old.

DAS video chat is still with with Disney CMs but the CMs are on the new Accessibility Team and have been trained by Medical Professionals from Inspire Health Alliance. The Inspire Health people are also available to help advise CMs during calls.

You're right that CMs inside the park no longer handle DAS requests, it is only available via video.

I ultimately imagine that any lawsuits coming will focus on this issue. I also imagine Disney believes they will win or they wouldn't be offering the reasonable accommodations they are offering.

My main reason for being suspicious of that story is that, multiple posts throughout the day on this thread and across other threads have mentioned asking how the return to line queue would work, only to be referred back to the company policy stated on the website that they need to check with individual attraction cast members to determine how that would work. What are the odds, that this woman was told something else entirely, but also that concretely and matter of factly that she would have to then force her 5 year old to stay in the line to hold her spot and a cast member told her that? Maybe it happened, I don't know...it just would seem to go against everything that has been stated throughout the day, and also would seem to go against the current bathroom pass policy for non-disabled guests who need to leave the general queue as it is if they or someone in their party has to rush to the bathroom.

It sounded like she was told something like "The other member of your party will have to wait in the standby line" and she said something back like "umm the only other member of my party is a five year-old" and the Cast Member like wasn't processing why that was a problem, despite her repeating that, which I can believe.

We get into rote work routines and if somebody's just memorized "other members of the party stay in the standby line and meet back up at merge" and is not actually listening to why someone is refuting that point, since they've likely been told to try and push the alternative options really strongly, I could see the above situation or similar ones happening.

It sounded like she was told something like "The other member of your party will have to wait in the standby line" and she said something back like "umm the only other member of my party is a five year-old" and the Cast Member like wasn't processing why that was a problem, despite her repeating that, which I can believe.

We get into rote work routines and if somebody's just memorized "other members of the party stay in the standby line and meet back up at merge" and is not actually listening to why someone is refuting that point, since they've likely been told to try and push the alternative options really strongly, I could see the above situation or similar ones happening.

This is exactly my point - I realize today is the first day and I'm sure all of the new Accessibility CMs were probably under a lot of pressure and stressed from talking to a lot of people today, but there seems to be a priority on pushing people away from DAS and in some cases they are not applying common sense. The 5 year old example may just be an error of the CM's part but the epilepsy one was also disturbing to read. The person mentioned they had multiple people on the zoom call, one of them was apparently a psychologist? I believe it was the psychologist who said that the person could use the return to queue option for epilepsy.

These were just 2 of the denial stories that stuck out in my head today. I'm sure in the coming days and weeks we'll hear from more people and hopefully Disney will be reviewing some of these cases and hopefully re-evaluate their training.

But it is disconcerting to hear these stories.

the whole point to the change is to limit people abusing the system correct? I don’t think the new rules will prevent that.
I would love to see the data comparing universals policy vs Disney policy. The Universal program requires medical proof.
I don’t want to fight anyone.
I have applied for both Universal and Disney for my 4 year old daughter in the last few weeks. She should still qualify under the new rules but I wont find out until June 13th. We have a very unique case when it comes to party size and I am anxious to find out what they say. Their answer will change how often we are able to go to the parks.

I can say that Universal went above and beyond Disney in the accommodations that they offered her. Due to her severity and age, she received something most don’t. (I don’t want to get into specifics.) It is good for 6 people for an entire year. My daughter and I LOVE Disney and we go to both Disney World and Disneyland once a year, but if she enjoys Universal we will probably switch to one Disney trip and one universal trip each year if they continue to be that much more accommodating and if Disney cannot make exceptions to the party size when truly needed.

I’m thinking there was definitely just a miscommunication here.

Editing my response. I shouldn’t guess what I think will happen.

Last edited:
… she said something back like "umm the only other member of my party is a five year-old" and the Cast Member like wasn't processing why that was a problem, despite her repeating that, which I can believe.
I get that. That is EXACTLY how I felt on my call a couple days ago. Like what I was saying just literally was not processing with the CM. Luckily for me it was under the old system.

The thing is, they don’t have to “push the alternative options”, since the CM has the final say. It’s not like the guest can say nope, none of that works, give me the DAS.

The thing is, they don’t have to “push the alternative options”, since the CM has the final say. It’s not like the guest can say nope, none of that works, give me the DAS.

Push as in make people aware of and route them toward those options. Obviously the guest can't demand DAS. But if the CM is suggesting inappropriate to the point of being downright dangerous alternatives (that a blind person get an ECV or someone leave a five-year old on their own for an indeterminate amount of time) that's not acceptable.

There's a difference between "This option will not work for me and I'll need to rethink my plans if I'm no longer eligible for DAS." and "This option will likely cause harm to myself or others if I do as you suggest."

Disney absolutely has a goal of giving DAS to less people and recommending alternative accommodations instead, so far the only accommodation they have to offer is the return to queue.

The training the CMs have been given is certainly to push the return to queue accommodations as much as possible to reduce the use of DAS.

I guess there are different interpretations of what "push the alternative options" means, but I didn't read that to mean that CMs are trying to encourage you to accept them, rather they are literally pushing the alternative options, like forcing them onto you - which like you said, ultimately the CM has the final say.

Except there’s arguably not enough to go around if it’s resulting in the return lane (LL or other if it’s a non-LL ride) being too long for some disabled guests to access the ride through.
I've noticed the increase in the LL lines. But, as I've said before, the problem here stems from Disney's greed. They decided to monetize the fast pass system. This puts them in a direct conflict of interest situation with providing these accommodations. And this is what I'm saying.

They've found a way to make more money. Now, the originally post I commented on was suggesting that we try the new accommodations first, then push back for something that we know works. My point is that we're doing that on our own dime, while Disney is pulling in the cash. How about I get extra days at a resort and at the parks for each day that their new accommodations don't work for me? That's a ridiculous all, right? So why witless it be fair to ask someone with a disability to shoulder that cost, on top of shouldering the added risk of a life altering health event?

Thank you.

At this point my concern is the FIVE largely prepaid trips in the next 3 months where we will be either limited to a very small group of attractions or unable to enjoy the parks at all. As a family that purchased passes to enjoy our last summer together at a place where we've vacationed magically for decades before kids move away, I'm beyond pi#$#÷ off.
Won’t getting Genie+ help with riding the headliners? Or rope dropping?

Push as in make people aware of and route them toward those options. Obviously the guest can't demand DAS. But if the CM is suggesting inappropriate to the point of being downright dangerous alternatives (that a blind person get an ECV or someone leave a five-year old on their own for an indeterminate amount of time) that's not acceptable.

There's a difference between "This option will not work for me and I'll need to rethink my plans if I'm no longer eligible for DAS." and "This option will likely cause harm to myself or others if I do as you suggest."
As I said earlier, I don’t believe that story about the five year old at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter