• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I just spent a chunk of time on another forum where Len posted. Several gut/immediate responses.

1. I want to cancel our June trip. This is too much for me. We presumably will still qualify under the old system, but now the anxiety for the call is way too much. While I know we don't know the new system, I feel guilty for even asking for DAS (family of all ADHD, varieties and degrees)
2. the comments and judgements on the other forum can be interpreted as very hostile towards DAS users
3. again, extreme guilt (and some shame) that we ever qualified for any DAS service v. other Nero diversities.
4. I am terrified of the judgement - Disney DAS CM, the ride lines. other people in line
5. that forum seems to have determined that ADHD will not be included under the new DAS and again 1-4.

I realize futile but going to email Disney regarding qualifying for DAS and park tickets. I don't want to spend $$$ on tickets (for the two of them) if we don't qualify and DH cancels the trip. I have an AP, our resort stay is booked, I would love to qualify for length of stay DAS and then buy tickets.
I just wanted to say that I understand what you’re saying about judgment: talking about my “condition” (IDK what else to call it at this point - I guess it falls under the “and similar” verbiage WDW is using) in detail is extraordinarily difficult with someone who is an expert on the subject, let alone random strangers. So first, my advice is to ignore the judgment online: you don’t know these people, they don’t know you, and you owe them nothing in the way of explanation or emotion.

But I also want to tell you that I’ve requested DAS in person with multiple different CMs and while there’s been a spectrum of understanding ranging from personal experience to probably not having a clue what having my “condition” is like, every single CM was kind, polite, reasonable, and most importantly, NON-judgmental. Questions on their part have always been helpful, not an attempt at a “gotcha!” These are the customer service pros of the parks: you don’t get that job if you’re not very good at knowing how and what to say to someone dealing with a difficult situation. And under the new program, the CMs will be receiving even more training to handle difficult situations - I expect them to be sensitive to Guests’ worries and judgement-free, too.

But I also want to tell you that I’ve requested DAS in person with multiple different CMs and while there’s been a spectrum of understanding ranging from personal experience to probably not having a clue what having my “condition” is like, every single CM was kind, polite, reasonable, and most importantly, NON-judgmental. Questions on their part have always been helpful, not an attempt at a “gotcha!” These are the customer service pros of the parks: you don’t get that job if you’re not very good at knowing how and what to say to someone dealing with a difficult situation. And under the new program, the CMs will be receiving even more training to handle difficult situations - I expect them to be sensitive to Guests’ worries and judgement-free, too
I've done the DAS interview for my DS at least 5 times. Only once was the CM a little 'more,' if you will. A little attitude in questioning, etc. That was last May. All the others have been fine. Agreed. I just feel uncomfortable discussing nero diversity issues in depth with someone given a few hours of training, likely waiting to hear certain words from me. As much as I am extremely grateful for DAS and it has been a game changer on our trips, I still don't like a corporation having our diagnosis.

Maybe there's a transition time?
I just spent a chunk of time on another forum where Len posted. Several gut/immediate responses.

1. I want to cancel our June trip. This is too much for me. We presumably will still qualify under the old system, but now the anxiety for the call is way too much. While I know we don't know the new system, I feel guilty for even asking for DAS (family of all ADHD, varieties and degrees)
2. the comments and judgements on the other forum can be interpreted as very hostile towards DAS users
3. again, extreme guilt (and some shame) that we ever qualified for any DAS service v. other Nero diversities.
4. I am terrified of the judgement - Disney DAS CM, the ride lines. other people in line
5. that forum seems to have determined that ADHD will not be included under the new DAS and again 1-4.

I realize futile but going to email Disney regarding qualifying for DAS and park tickets. I don't want to spend $$$ on tickets (for the two of them) if we don't qualify and DH cancels the trip. I have an AP, our resort stay is booked, I would love to qualify for length of stay DAS and then buy tickets.

Sorry that you don't feel supported; especially in this forum. Filter out the agitators; focus on the benefits and reassuring words of others.

I am hopeful that Disney is going trying to do the right thing here. They are pivoting away from one size fits all DAS and back to a GAC type tiered accommodation. -- We have very little on WHAT this looks like come implementation.

The unknown sucks and very scary indeed and something the Disabled community is all too often accustomed to any time traveling outside the confines on our daily routines

Some words and advice: keep your vacation. Visit Disney and its surroundings. We do not know what Disney parks will have for accommodations for RIDES with queues. There's SO MUCH MORE to Disney.

I have faith that Disney will make reasonable accommodations with those with disabilities. I have more faith in CMs than any other institution/company -- even as they pivot away from DAS as the single solution.

well the hope is that when Disney makes a massive change like this, that they announce it with 100% clarification regardless how far out they announce it, sad reality is that didn't happen

But are you holding Disney to a different standard? You just posted about Canada's Wonderland -- but neither the disabilities page of their website nor the guest assistance guide even mentions providing accommodations for anyone with medical conditions other than "guests with mobility restrictions or cognitive impairment to access attractions." And best that I can find, a guest doesn't have an option to pre-register for accommodations; they are directed to "visit Guest Services upon their arrival at the park" at which time accommodations are determined and explained.

I've done the DAS interview for my DS at least 5 times. Only once was the CM a little 'more,' if you will. A little attitude in questioning, etc. That was last May. All the others have been fine. Agreed. I just feel uncomfortable discussing nero diversity issues in depth with someone given a few hours of training, likely waiting to hear certain words from me. As much as I am extremely grateful for DAS and it has been a game changer on our trips, I still don't like a corporation having our diagnosis.
They shouldn't need (nor do they want) your diagnosis - they want (and need) to know your needs as they pertain to waiting in a standby queue.

I also go to a forum where people are hostile to DAS users but you what, I need DAS and I'm going to apply with zero guilt. Some people, adults mind you, are acting like 5 yr olds throwing temper tantrums. These people will never be happy that disabled people get accommodations. Don't allow them to make you feel guilty because that is exactly what they want. I was shocked at the lack of humanity shown towards their fellow human beings.

Disney decides who gets DAS and I believe that those qualified will get accommodations of some kind.

Maybe there's a transition time?

Sorry that you don't feel supported; especially in this forum. Filter out the agitators; focus on the benefits and reassuring words of others.

I am hopeful that Disney is going trying to do the right thing here. They are pivoting away from one size fits all DAS and back to a GAC type tiered accommodation. -- We have very little on WHAT this looks like come implementation.

The unknown sucks and very scary indeed and something the Disabled community is all too often accustomed to any time traveling outside the confines on our daily routines

Some words and advice: keep your vacation. Visit Disney and its surroundings. We do not know what Disney parks will have for accommodations for RIDES with queues. There's SO MUCH MORE to Disney.

I have faith that Disney will make reasonable accommodations with those with disabilities. I have more faith in CMs than any other institution/company -- even as they pivot away from DAS as the single solution.
presumable we will fall under the "old" DAS version for our June trip. I just don't want to spend over a grand on tickets we won't use. We spend hours at the resort every day. DH can usually only handle 2 hours before he has to leave and DS and I can handle 4-5. Then we are usually done for the day. Pool, dinner and maybe DS and I go back into the parks in the evening.

I guess I can sum it up by saying I feel extremely silly. Back to all the posts I've read that essential say theme parks = lines and masses of people. If lines and people are problems, then why do I repeatedly go sort of thinking. I love GOTG but nothing sets my ADHD worse than that ride. fear of getting pushed and others on top of me, the open rooms, no lines or structure, the two preshows that seem to go on forever. KILLS me, but the most fun ride I've ever had at disney. I guess that's the answer....

But are you holding Disney to a different standard? You just posted about Canada's Wonderland -- but neither the disabilities page of their website nor the guest assistance guide even mentions providing accommodations for anyone with medical conditions other than "guests with mobility restrictions or cognitive impairment to access attractions." And best that I can find, a guest doesn't have an option to pre-register for accommodations; they are directed to "visit Guest Services upon their arrival at the park" at which time accommodations are determined and explained.
That's the issue I have had with that park, but they were willing to listen to all situations and base it after the conversation and emails with me

I emailed them ahead of time because I knew I would have issues in person

I like to think Disney's program has been at a higher standard than other parks, or at least more accepting than others over the past 2 decades

I like to think Disney's program has been at a higher standard than other parks, or at least more accepting than others over the past 2 decades
And perhaps that's the problem - we all need to stop looking at Disney as a place that will always do everything better and start recognizing that they're a business that has as its first obligation the obligation to make money for its shareholders. As such, they shouldn't be expected to do anything more than the legal minimum if doing so will impact the bottom line.

And in the case of the existing DAS abuse and overuse, I don't mean that last statement in the context of "push guests to buy Genie+", I mean it in the context when the people who buy Genie+ or ILL don't feel that they're getting their money's worth because the LLs are so long, when people in standby have to wait and watch while bloated LLs go past them, they make decisions about whether or not it's worth it to go back to Disney...which impacts their bottom line.

I expect every business to do what is required per the ADA - nothing more, nothing less.

presumable we will fall under the "old" DAS version for our June trip. I just don't want to spend over a grand on tickets we won't use. We spend hours at the resort every day. DH can usually only handle 2 hours before he has to leave and DS and I can handle 4-5. Then we are usually done for the day. Pool, dinner and maybe DS and I go back into the parks in the evening.

I guess I can sum it up by saying I feel extremely silly. Back to all the posts I've read that essential say theme parks = lines and masses of people. If lines and people are problems, then why do I repeatedly go sort of thinking. I love GOTG but nothing sets my ADHD worse than that ride. fear of getting pushed and others on top of me, the open rooms, no lines or structure, the two preshows that seem to go on forever. KILLS me, but the most fun ride I've ever had at disney. I guess that's the answer....
Ignore the people saying just don't go. They don't understand, clearly don't want to try to understand - and it's not worth the energy or thought time to try to get them to understand.

Explain your accommodation needs to Disney. ADHD is a developmental disability, and it is a spectrum of needs. Try to get it in writing from guest relations that you'd qualify for a refund if for some reason you are denied. (Others have shared they've been told they'd be able to get a refund for this reason). Do what works for you and your family, and ignore those who just don't get it.

And perhaps that's the problem - we all need to stop looking at Disney as a place that will always do everything better
Again - Disney has nowhere to put any responsibility for this thought process than themselves. It has been a mantra I of how the company has been run for decades - a source of pride, even.

They can be a business, make a killing for their shareholders AND still do better than the average Joe on accommodations. None of this is either/or territory.

I forgot to mention, the reason you don't see any more on their website is because they changed the wording of who qualified late last year

In previous years they had more broad terms like disney has had in years past

Or get an ECV so that no one has to push anyone around. Seems reasonable.
I sorta had to laugh because while I wasn't 6 when I was 11 I wheeled my dad around the parks in a wheelchair ironically due to a boot (diabetes related at that time). Now that was not a good idea and was exhausting and tiring. At 11 I could say I was able to do it but barely. Scooters weren't as common then either, an ecv would have been amazing to do and in the late '90s it's not like many places were really built for ecvs or wheelchairs, not compared to today. Now there's a lot more available and attention paid to this. I know at DLR the queues are more tight and haven't been updated nearly to the same level at WDW but at least at WDW there's a lot more over the decades done in the mobility aspects.

A question that few will probably run into, but I’m throwing it in the ring in case anyone calling over the next few weeks happens to have the same situation! (I don’t want to clog up the lines calling myself, when I don’t have a need yet.)

Has anyone received information about how DAS users can change their party members after May 20? I think I saw someone say that nothing DAS-related will be handled in parks after May 20, and am wondering how one would change who’s part of their 4-person party on the fly - or if the ability to do so will simply cease to exist. This mostly pertains to APers who visit with different people at different times, but maybe also to ticket holders traveling as a non-family group larger than 4 in which the DAS user might want to have fellow Guests A, B, and C ride with them day 1, but Guests B, C, and D ride with them day 2. Surely that wouldn’t require a virtual call every day, would it???

And perhaps that's the problem - we all need to stop looking at Disney as a place that will always do everything better and start recognizing that they're a business that has as its first obligation the obligation to make money for its shareholders. As such, they shouldn't be expected to do anything more than the legal minimum if doing so will impact the bottom line.

And in the case of the existing DAS abuse and overuse, I don't mean that last statement in the context of "push guests to buy Genie+", I mean it in the context when the people who buy Genie+ or ILL don't feel that they're getting their money's worth because the LLs are so long, when people in standby have to wait and watch while bloated LLs go past them, they make decisions about whether or not it's worth it to go back to Disney...which impacts their bottom line.

I expect every business to do what is required per the ADA - nothing more, nothing less.
That reputation of Disney is what has given them their popular status and why they have a global presence, it's why people consider it a dream vacation.

If a company forgets that and just look bottom line, it can eventually tarnish your image

That reputation of Disney is what has given them their popular status and why they have a global presence, it's why people consider it a dream vacation.

If a company forgets that and just look bottom line, it can eventually tarnish your image
I agree, to a point. However, in the examples I gave above, we're still talking about reputation, just from a different point of view.

This is what is happening now though. There are lots of guest complains about long standby line, how the only way to enjoy rides is with Genie+ and there are complains from Genie+ users that they aren't getting their money's worth from it.

Purely from a numbers perspective and assuming the numbers that have been floating around are true. If 8% of my guests are very happy, but 50% are unhappy and a percentage of those 50% are paying extra, who should I focus on???

Not to mention a favorite destination of people with disabilties. They absolutely have room for improvement, but they're still a lot more accessible than many other vacation spots, which makes people with disabilities and their families choose a Disney trip. The company makes a LOT of money on disabled guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter