DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I have noticed some people claiming there is no DAS abuse.
I've never heard anyone claim that there is absolutely zero abuse.

What concerns me is that there's no possible way of knowing whether or not a level of abuse exists that justifies taking measures that will exclude people with a genuine need or make things so difficult for them that they might just as well be excluded. And that so many people think they can tell who needs accommodations and who doesn't just by looking.

I've never heard anyone claim that there is absolutely zero abuse.

What concerns me is that there's no possible way of knowing whether or not a level of abuse exists that justifies taking measures that will exclude people with a genuine need or make things so difficult for them that they might just as well be excluded. And that so many people think they can tell who needs accommodations and who doesn't just by looking.
Every time someone like my sister takes a spot in the DAS line she is making an actual autistic child wait longer and impacting their actual legitimate use.

I honestly think Disney has a duty to try to weed people like her out for the sake of people with an actual need. At the moment they do absolutely nothing.

All she does is go to guest services and tell them my nephew has ADHD on the first day of a trip. It takes her about 5 minutes if there is no line.

Disney will also introduce a “return to queue” process that will allow a DAS guest to leave and then re-enter a line when necessary.

These changes come after Disney officials said DAS usage has tripled at the parks over the past five years. Disney hopes the changes will reduce misuse of the system by those who do not need the service.

“Disney is dedicated to providing a great experience for all Guests, including those with disabilities, which is why we are so committed to delivering a wide range of innovative support services aimed at helping our Guests with disabilities have a wonderful time when visiting out theme parks,” a Disney official said.

^^^That’s from:
https://www.wfla.com/news/florida/d...sability-service-amid-line-skipping-concerns/

Orlando Sentinel said the same about Disney officials citing the ‘tripled usage over 5 years’.

But it is paywalled https://www.orlandosentinel.com/202...-das-disability-access-queue-passes-changing/

The news outlets are not saying exactly how they’re getting that info from WDW. Maybe press release?
Not saying these writers didn't get the news from Disney but I can tell you they often scan blogs and forums and use these posts as "facts".

Actually, from Disney’s perspective, it doesn’t really matter what the level of abuse is. If so many people are using it DAS that it negatively impacts park operations, they have every right to modify accommodations.

This kind of made me feel like someone read it and thought, "oh, we better add something that shows DAS isn't the only accommodation we provide". That person told someone else who told someone else to add the words, "one of the programs" somewhere.
I don’t work in health care, but I do work in communications… I refer to this as Writing by Committee. ::yes:: :rotfl:

Actually, from Disney’s perspective, it doesn’t really matter what the level of abuse is. If so many people are using it DAS that it negatively impacts park operations, they have every right to modify accommodations.
Key. Offer accommodation to fit the need.

Clearly Disney believes DAS is no longer the accommodation Disney wants to leverage for everyone with a need.

That is their prerogative. It also is their obligation to offer an appropriate accommodation and that's what has a lot of folk on edge with the lack of knowing what they potentially are.

Key. Offer accommodation to fit the need.

Clearly Disney believes DAS is no longer the accommodation Disney wants to leverage for everyone with a need.

That is their prerogative. It also is their obligation to offer an appropriate accommodation and that's what has a lot of folk on edge with the lack of knowing what they potentially are.
Appropriate yet reasonable. No business is required to provide accommodations that negatively affect business operations, even if those accommodations would be considered appropriate by those seeking them.

Appropriate yet reasonable. No business is required to provide accommodations that negatively affect business operations, even if those accommodations would be considered appropriate by those seeking them.
Reminds me of the issues we had at the airline I worked for. Too many frequent flyers at the hub airports. Priority boarding didn't mean anything as half the plane had priority boarding. It led to adjustments in the benefits.

When everyone has priority, then no one has.

Wow, there’s a bunch of Tic Tock’s out there that explain how ‘easy’ it is to get a DAS pass under the old rules. “The asked me one question…ok, when are you coming?” This lady clearly has a need, but I could see where others might not.
[link removed by Angel Ariel]
I watched this video, and if it went down as the tik-toker indicates, then her situation was a Disney CM training issue. Sharing a diagnosis was never intended to be enough to get a DAS pass, so if the CM didn't ask any further questions, then that's absolutely on Disney's training.

Last edited:
I think the whole social media aspect made DAS blow up. I cannot count how many post I’ve seen on various groups similar to “my daughter had surgery and we leave for Disney in 3 weeks” and countless people say APPLY FOR DAS!

Or

“I’m worried grandma won’t be able to handle Disney and she refuses to get a scooter, she cannot stand or walk for long periods of time, can I get a DAS pass for her?”

Like I’m sorry for child had surgery, but that’s not what the system is for, and things like that ruin it.

I wish mods of the larger groups would not allow posts like that and I’ve actually messaged a few voicing my concerns months back, saying posts like those and comments just give fakers ways of obtaining information and also giving people false hope of getting a DAS when that’s not what it’s for.
In general I agree with you. WRT to the having had surgery - it depends on what the surgery was for and what the impact of it is on the person. If the surgery resulted in mobility impairment alone, then yes - agreed, that should be solved with a wheelchair or stroller as a wheelchair for the child (whichever fits the need best). But it's not like mobility is the only thing surgery can impact.

I watched this video, and if it went down as the tik-toker indicates, then her situation was a Disney CM training issue. Sharing a diagnosis was never intended to be enough to get a DAS pass, so if the CM didn't ask any further questions, then that's absolutely on Disney's training.
It was probably smart to take this potentially stressful interaction out of the CMs in the parks. They have enough on their plates too.

It was probably smart to take this potentially stressful interaction out of the CMs in the parks. They have enough on their plates too.
The CM the woman spoke to wasn't in the parks. She clearly describes pre-registration, which is the same process that CMs will continue to be doing the calls by with this new training. So Disney needs to up its game on training those CMs, or hte outcomes will likely continue to be similar.

The CM the woman spoke to wasn't in the parks. She clearly describes pre-registration, which is the same process that CMs will continue to be doing the calls by with this new training. So Disney needs to up its game on training those CMs, or hte outcomes will likely continue to be similar.
No, she said she sent her party for drinks at starbucks and walked into a place on mainstreet? Maybe I’m wrong. I think he point was it was pretty easy which was a good thing.

In general I agree with you. WRT to the having had surgery - it depends on what the surgery was for and what the impact of it is on the person. If the surgery resulted in mobility impairment alone, then yes - agreed, that should be solved with a wheelchair or stroller as a wheelchair for the child (whichever fits the need best). But it's not like mobility is the only thing surgery can impact.
The posts I see are for a healthy child who has an unexpected surgery done before a trip:
Appendix, broken bones, etc.

Something that would not qualify for a DAS alone. That’s why I get frustrated. Either postpone the trip until your child is well, get a wheelchair tag, a wheelchair, or consult with the doctor.

But it’s not surgery that is related to something that would qualify for DAS, which I would understand if that was the case.

No, she said she sent her party for drinks at starbucks and walked into a place on mainstreet? Maybe I’m wrong. I think he point was it was pretty easy which was a good thing.
I think we're talking about different videos. That wasn't the video that i'd clicked on. But with the clear request to stop posting links, I've edited that link out of my original post and will not revisit.

And the thing about the videos explaining how to get DAS is... people with developmental issues, anxiety issues, whatever you call it... most likely need these explanations to get through the call. You need to know for yourself what to expect. You need to prepare yourself for the call, to rehearse your talk in your head a hundred times before you actually make the call.

When I have to make that call, I have been getting ready at least the entire week before the call. Even when I get my doctor's note I need for Disneyland Paris, I rehearse in my head giving my note to the CM and of the entire process I have to get through.

Videos like this do help those who need it. Especially when it's your first time.

And they also help those who don't need it.

Yes, I get very flustered each time I have to register. I have to make notes, and remind myself to relax and speak clearly - otherwise I think I just try to blurt it all out too quickly. Not a script, but some key things I need to remember to include. The CMs have always been very patient with me, and asked additional questions if I wasn't clear... So some self-coaching is very helpful to me.

And a lot of it has to do with the first few times I did the online process I had a TON of technical issues... ugh. Didn't need that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter