DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Folks -- it was discussed right here last week, Friday, post # 4532
As @SueM in MN and I both commented at that time, it is unlikely to be accurate. It sounds more like a rogue CM trying to share "useful" information but seriously missing the mark. Most likely, that CM isn't even going to be trained on the new qualifications because it will be an entirely different department from the current Guest Relations staff.
That's not the post I'm remembering, because this person specifically mentioned understanding time/wait time. I hope it's not accurate, but it seems weird that the X poster is claiming to have just been told today. We're a week out from hopefully getting some real answers, I think everyone is just getting really anxious.

That's not the post I'm remembering, because this person specifically mentioned understanding time/wait time. I hope it's not accurate, but it seems weird that the X poster is claiming to have just been told today. We're a week out from hopefully getting some real answers, I think everyone is just getting really anxious.
Actually, some of the posts following that did discuss understanding waiting in a line. It could well be the same mis-informed CM.

Just did our DAS registration for our May 31-June 11 trip. We were connected to CM in less than 10 minutes.
Given the upcoming changes and some people's experience with more condescending CMs, I was pretty nervous.
  • I am the one who usually gets DAS for a non-developmental disease (although I do have the cognitive issue but I consider it less of an emergency situation compared to my first issue).
  • Daughter (17) also qualifies under cognitive issue but we've only ever registered for myself.
  • Party size: 7 for the first 3 days of our trip, then 6. Husband is flying with us to get us all set up and make sure we're fine and then my brother will "look" after us.
  • My daughter and myself are APs.
Originally, I was thinking to register both of us because I've been having more frequent and urgent issues and I didn't want my daughter to have her own problems if I could not handle a planned park day.

The CM I talked to was amazing and very empathetic. I told him our reasoning and explained why I was thinking we needed two DAS holders. He didn't press for more info or more elaboration on why conventional lines are difficult for us, other than what I gave him.
  • CM suggested having my daughter as the DAS holder and he would ask for a party-size exception, which was granted.
    • He mentioned that it was good I called in now vs. later because with the new rules would have been a lot more difficult to get a party exception.
  • CM also started our DAS day on our non-park arrival day instead of first park day, in case we needed to make some changes to our schedule, which I appreciated.
  • CM did not tell us when the DAS expired or mention the 10-minute rule. He did say he could see I've used DAS before and asked if I had any questions and if I wanted to go ahead with pre-selects. I opted not to do pre-selects because we don't use them. I'd rather not take up those timeslots in case someone else using DAS really does need them.
Overall, we had a great experience registering and I now feel this immense amount of relief!
The bolded line is going to be extremely important for my trip and I know it's something that is going to come down to the CM and my unique situation. Of all the years I had to go over 6 people with 7 this year (one off year, next year will be 5, and next will be 4 on going, previously always did 6 or less) they crack down.

Getting approved for DAS will be a huge hurdle, and party size will be even harder to deal with.

Thank you for your update that you did get an approval for 7 people under the old rules.

Sorry if it’s been posted many times (I’m sure it has) - but how do you actually get onto these online video chats with CMs?
I’ve only ever used the in-app chat and Guest Relations in person.
Just want to know in advance so I know what to expect! Thank you everyone :)

Edit: also been seeing posts that imply you can just jump into a video chat with a wait time, instead of scheduling in a date and time in advance?
Disney have said they can provide you an iPad at Guest Relations in person to then speak with a CM about DAS after 20th May, so I assume I’m right with this assumption?
The in-app chat is a link to the Disney general chat function, not to the specific chat for DAS registration. Some people have reported using the Accessibility Information tab in the app; that link takes you to the website link for disability information. It's best to just go to the Disney website using your computer, tablet Internet browser or smartphone internet browser.

There has never been a way to schedule a date and time in advance for DAS Registration at WDW or DL. The only place I've ever seen it brought up was in Facebook comments from people who had never registered for DAS previously - they just assumed it would be scheduled

The link to begin a DAS Registration video chat for WDW is on this page

Actually, some of the posts following that did discuss understanding waiting in a line. It could well be the same mis-informed CM.
I hope so - given that both were reports of cast members at Disneyland there is that chance. Though I'd argue that a person reporting their experience and what they've been told is not misinformation - not anymore so than anything posted here. If anything again it is the cast member(s) spreading such until we know more.

Either way I am waiting on May 20th for real information and for someone to actually be denied.

I hope so - given that both were reports of cast members at Disneyland there is that chance. Though I'd argue that a person reporting their experience and what they've been told is not misinformation - not anymore so than anything posted here. If anything again it is the cast member(s) spreading such until we know more.

Either way I am waiting on May 20th for real information and for someone to actually be denied.
or if approved, what changes for them in any capacity, if at all

not looking forward in a week, but glad the speculating/arguing will stop and it will become an informative thread at that point lol

If anything again it is the cast member(s) spreading such until we know more.
And after we got over the hurdle of the first several pages of this thread that were hard for the moderators to even keep up reading, we've been trying hard to keep speculation and misinformation to a minimum. It creates confusion (just like that twitter post did) and added worry for many. While the experience of receiving the misinformation was real, the information itself is inaccurate. Misinformation from a CM is still misinformation.

I’m anxiously awaiting the new rules myself. I hope we get some answers next week. I’ve been putting off planning a fall trip this year while I wait for the changes. This thread has been my primary source of information, it’s extremely helpful. Theres tons of misinformation in Facebook groups, Reddit, Twitter, etc.

For our trip last week Tuesday May 7 and Wednesday May 8, so all "old" rules.

We registered on April 13. DS was told that the DAS would be good for the length of the trip (tickets from DD 20 DCP, so needed park reservations and she needed to scan in first at the park entrances). 4 members of party.

DS filled out a form for advanced selections, but did not receive any. Not a big concern for us.

We bought ILL$ both days and purchased Genie+ for our MK day. Along with DAS return times, we used LL the vast majority of the time. The waits were not long, (although we did not ride 7DMT).

No 10 minute rule in effect yet.

I noticed only 1 other party that was likely DAS. I only suspect this because I heard one party member tell another in their party that they needed to scan in first. (Our family had that conversation every time we came up to a touch point. "Does DS need to go first? Yes, this is a DAS." or "No, this was Genie Plus or Individual lightning lane, and it doesn't matter who goes first.")

We had a couple of rides go down during our DAS wait time or Genie+ window. In each case, DS was allowed to make a new DAS selection or I made a new Genie+ reservation, respectively. Then we were issued a guest recovery pass in MDE and rode the rides in question when they came back up. The process seemed to be the same for DAS and Genie+.

We are at Disney currently as well. Yesterday MK. Today AK. Can confirm no 10 minute wait. No LL backups either although we did skip Haunted Mansion because it was really backed up went we got there so I can’t accurately judge. We didn’t see many DAS at MK but saw many, many at AK. Not sure why the difference.

Only used one of our Advanced Selections and it was for Lion King 😂😂

I'd love some advice--my daughter is our DAS user and we are going to Aulani in a couple weeks. Last night, my husband and I decided we're going to try to go to Disneyland on our way home, which puts us arriving on....June 18. We aren't planning to tell our kids, but now I'm concerned about registering her in person on the first day of a new system in DL (we've never been either so I'm not familiar). I'm considering just telling her we're doing it for...some future trip or something. Worth possibly blowing a surprise or chance it and register in person for our first time ever on the first day it rolls out?

I'd love some advice--my daughter is our DAS user and we are going to Aulani in a couple weeks. Last night, my husband and I decided we're going to try to go to Disneyland on our way home, which puts us arriving on....June 18. We aren't planning to tell our kids, but now I'm concerned about registering her in person on the first day of a new system in DL (we've never been either so I'm not familiar). I'm considering just telling her we're doing it for...some future trip or something. Worth possibly blowing a surprise or chance it and register in person for our first time ever on the first day it rolls out?
I'd register in advance and tell her it's for a future trip- better safe than sorry.

I’d also register in advance. I’d tell her you need to register for the “new system” for the next time you might go.

Currently at WDW this week and can say they are attempting to implement the newer DAS policies now. I have two children with disabilities. My 9 year old is visibly disabled with a developmental disabilities. My 17 year old daughter has a neurological disability and looks "normal". When we visited MK guest relations on May 11th they granted the request for my son without any issue. However, the first cast member told my daughter you are not disabled and you don't qualify. Proceeded to ask her what her disability was. I was outside town hall when she came out of the building in tears. My wife was still getting our sons DAS. I returned and ask to see a supervisor. Regardless of the changes they should never treat a minor this way. The CM told her they could provide her with a wheelchair to accommodate mobility issurs. Yet her neuroligal disease goes far beyond needing a place to sit in line. The CM asked why she needed the das if her brother had one. Hello a 9 year old with severe developmental disorders and 17 year old don't ride the same things. At that point i asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor parroted the new policy. To which I informed them didn't go into effect on the 11th. I inquired as to which disabilities would qualify in the future. But the supervisor could not give a definitive list. Basically said autism like disabilities. Too which I asked if my son who has another developmental disability would qualify. She said she wasn't sure and we would have to contact the professionals.... After arguing for 20 minutes regarding my daughter the supervisor said they'd allow her to have one this time. Yet, the damage was done. My daughter's week has been ruined by this treatment.

Overall a nightmare. We are AP and DVC members. My daughter was humiliated by these CMs. And she no longer wants to visit Disney. The magic is dead for our family. And without a DAS she really can't go to Disney. So after 15+ years of being AP holders we will not be renewing our passes.

I understand the need to prevent abuse from individuals without a disability. Yet Disney has gone overboard. And regardless of the new policies, CMs should never tell anyone that is disabled that they aren't. I'll keep my thoughts to myself and how the CMs in general no longer understand the Disney Magic.

So if anyone tries to get a DAS in person this week be prepared to be treated poorly.

Not sure if this article is correct, but it states Inspire Health Alliance workers will do the interviews:

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local...lities-with-lifetime-bans-from-parks/3304642/
It says if "“if it is determined that any of the statements a guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true" How would Disney know because they don't want any guest's medical information.
NOTE PLEASE I am not encouraging anyone to cheat.
Just wondering how, unless someone is dumb enough to tell a CM, "Hey, I really don't have ______ condition. I faked it in order to get DAS.".

It says if "“if it is determined that any of the statements a guest made in the process of obtaining DAS are not true" How would Disney know because they don't want any guest's medical information.
NOTE PLEASE I am not encouraging anyone to cheat.
Just wondering how, unless someone is dumb enough to tell a CM, "Hey, I really don't have ______ condition. I faked it in order to get DAS.".
I wouldn't put too much credence in random articles that are popping up now.
We'll know more details direct from Disney soon enough.

I'd register in advance and tell her it's for a future trip- better safe than sorry.
I’d also register in advance. I’d tell her you need to register for the “new system” for the next time you might go.
I'll just tell her they started a new system so we're supposed to register for it now since it came out. Thank you!

That or can anyone think of a plausible reason to need DAS for Aulani lol? (She's almost 9, she won't be that be gullible)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter