DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I understand what you are saying...but there is a LOT of gray areas in life that don't have hard-and-fast rules. Believe me, I also have one of those who likes the black-and-white of solid rules. We often set our own "rules" for things if it will help eliminate gray areas.

In the situation of the 10-minute rule, I will simply inform DD that the 10 minutes begins once we exit the attraction. Problem solved. No need to worry about 1 tap-in or is there a 2nd tap. Too much gray in that.
This is exactly what we will do when we take our son. He needs consistency so this will give what he needs.

It’s not that simple because DAS users (and their family/friends/extended family) doesn’t appear to be that small of a small percentage of guests, which is why WDW is trying to reign in the program. I’m almost certainly going to be denied when I apply in July…and while I’m not sure we would have taken this trip (or purchased APs) if I’d known the changes were coming, I do appreciate what WDW is trying to do and why. I’m hoping that if DAS usage declines by 50-75% there will be more rides with shorter standby waits and/or it will be easier to acquire LL times with G+ as opposed to praying you can get Tiana’s Bayou Adventure for your kids before it sells out at 7:05AM if everything goes smoothly in the app. We also had to skip several rides on our last trip due to very long LL returns, so DAS isn’t even serving its purpose well for the children who cannot tolerate lines.

My guess is that Disney is hoping they will convert some DAS groups to G+ users and/or they can start charging more for G+ if it works better because there is more LL capacity (similar to how it works at DLR). If enough people stop coming, they will probably need to figure out how they can become more accessible without impacting park operations.
I really believe if they fix the Genie+ system to be more functional and useful there will be less impact on the former DAS eligible guests. While it stinks to have yet another cost associated with Disney if the system does work then it can be a big benefit for everyone. On our last trip we purchased the G+ because we knew in the future our family would likely no longer qualify for the DAS so we thought we would see how we can manage without it. The problem was the lack of availability of rides especially since we did not know the ins and outs of the system and did not purchase until in the park. At Epcot it was almost totally worthless. We were able to get a late booking for test track and the only other things available were those where the standby was not an issue in the first place (rides like Nemo). HS was a little better as the only ride blocked off the entire day was Slinky Dog, though if time physically in a park is an issue G+ may not work for some since you may have to wait a few hours for your LL time to open.
If availability really does open up I would agree Disney will get more to purchase it and/or can justify the price hikes they have done and will likely continue to do with it.

For our family I think combining that with taking advantage of extended hours when available and maybe doing a party or two instead of a day in the park will work. But it is not a solution for everyone and again rolling it out so abruptly when people were planning on being accommodated with the DAS pass just seems wrong.

Disney Parks is up overall but WDW is not (mostly the strength of the international parks, DLR had growth too). The WDW experience has been deteriorating for the majority of guests who are not DAS users (and I’d argue for DAS users in some ways as well— less operational hours, more ride breakdowns) for a few years— and most annual visitors w/o access to DAS are still lamenting the loss of FP+.

WDW is making this change because its large DAS user groups are interfering with WDW operations and making WDW visits less desirable for the majority of guests who are reporting lower guest satisfaction scores (and not returning). We were in that category and contemplating canceling our 2023 trip because the trips were grueling until my spine surgeon suggested we inquire about DAS— it was a huge game changer for our family—it went from trips being much harder than they were in 2019 (between my new disability and the 7AM daily stressful rituals) to easier than they were in 2019, even counting for my subsequent spinal problems—but I immediately realized why it’s so desirable for abuse, misuse, and overuse, and how easy it would be for a shameless person to fake.

Disney is trying to make the experience better for non-DAS guests because WDW is slipping.
WDW is slipping apart from anything having to do with DAS.

Shorter park hours, little to know streetmosphere, no evening parade, little new entertainment options, significant reductions in extra magic hours - constantly increasing prices for less experiences and benefits. If Disney truly cared about making the experience of the WDW parks better, addressing these things are all things that would help, from the perspective of virtually all guests.

We stayed at the Grand Floridian in 2006 for 340-350/night. Theme park view room, could see Cinderella castle perfectly from our balcony. We had extra magic hours that allowed us to be in MK til 2 or 3am. Characters and entertainment abounded. That same room is over $800/night (far outpacing increases due to inflation), and the extra magic hours experience is a joke in comparison.

There's a lot of reasons the WDW experience is slipping. DAS "abuse" or overuse is a tiny part of that in comparison to these other issues.

Last edited:
Here is where it says you cannot record the conversation:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/register/

It is shown here:

This isn't part of the T&Cs, but it is listed before you click Request Live Video Chat.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know whether this statement here is legally binding since it isn't under the T&Cs, but Disney is within their right to ban you permanently whether or not it is in their T&Cs or not.
Thank you...now I know I'm not dreaming it!!

She often gets twitchy in lines and often has panic attacks in certain places (think Guardians Pre-Show hallway of doom), and DAS has helped these symptoms
Sorry to read this. Just to be clear…your Mom expressed her issues standing in line to the CM and was denied?

Did the friends have active tickets for your dates or if APs did they have park reservations for your dates?
No, at least not with this trip. Another AP friend might join for a day this coming weekend, but we haven’t decided.

Either way, I would like to find out if I can add someone.

Again, Genie+ and/LL are not a fit for our needs. Without offering too much, we need to preplan in advance each park day, based on factors including weather, test results, and dietary issues. We need specific plans for shade, restrooms, and temperature controls. The planning can take hours, so as Passholders, we generally stick to our specific tried and tested "script" at each park. There are areas and attractions we don't visit, as they don't fit or have access to what we need.

Genie and LLdont allow and work into that type of planning scenario. They often require/recommend crisscrossing the parks, which is disastrous for us. So yes, we're aware, and no, these are not options.
I think people are missing the point of REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION. If you have lots of specific needs, including test results, to enjoy Disney, they'll probably help you out for a vacation.

If you say you plan on coming once a week, with your AP, with different people, they are probably going to back off the whole"going above and beyond" sort of thing.

But it isn’t DAS users that are causing the lower satisfaction scores, it is:
  • Larger numbers of breakdowns than there used to be
  • Less entertainment and fewer showtimes for the entertainment that is there
    • This also comes in the form of loosing things like Citizens of Hollywood, Main Street and other atmosphere like the atmosphere shows that used to be all over World Showcase
  • More nickel and dimming
  • More things closed
  • Longer food lines
  • Lower quality food
  • Lower quality and less variety of merchandise
  • Less ride maintenance (just look at the sad state of Figment, Carousel of Progress, etc.)
Address these issues and you will address guest satisfaction scores.
Totally agree with this. To address these issues, Disney would have to first admit they had a significant negative impact on guest satisfaction, then come up with the money to remedy at least some. Not going to happen.

DAS as a significant target is perfect. This is a group they can monetize… just buy Genie+… they don’t have to spend money… Disney makes money. The new return to line policy hasn’t been worked out because I believe they don’t think it will be a problem. Why? I think it’s simple… they don’t really expect people to do this, not on any large scale. Who wants to announce their issues, claw back through a line and figure out how to find their party in some indeterminate time when they can return? They don’t expect this to be a big issue because you’re going to buy Genie+. More money in Disneys pocket.

For the hail and healthy who can move from attraction to attraction it makes financial sense. But for a family that spends their day managing challenges it makes no sense… it’s just throwing money at a problem that doesn’t address the actual needs. Corporate thinking at its best. We have this great solution… now let’s find something to use it for.

All the problems listed above will persist because Disney lacks the will and any real interest in investing money to achieve it. Look at Disney’s IT… it’s an embarrassment in this day and age… won’t fix that either because it would cost money… they figure you love Disney so you’ll deal with it.

DAS holders were an untapped gold mine.. you can bet they are going to be tracking Genie+ sales.

I think people are missing the point of REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION. If you have lots of specific needs, including test results, to enjoy Disney, they'll probably help you out for a vacation.

If you say you plan on coming once a week, with your AP, with different people, they are probably going to back off the whole"going above and beyond" sort of thing.
I am hoping you are correct. We are out of state passholders, family of 3.

There were 5 trips this year with the DAS kiddo, 4 with just the 3 of us. She also came for 2 days with 2 friends, maybe a total of 15ish park days.

There were also trips with the other sibling and me solo (without her) where we just did the parks "old school".

Hoping they can see that we've never taken advantage.

I did speak to a CM about having tickets refunded. He said it would be an elevated conversation. Maybe buy the tickets - UT allows refunds. There is a 5% fee but when compared to the cost of a useless Disney trip, that's not bad.
Then, if you're not given DAS, have your tickets refunded.

Am I missing something with all the "useless trips", or "totally non refundable" trips? I mean, G+ isn't free, but if it is "lose a $5000 dollar trip" , or pay a few hundred for G+, or some ILLs to salvage the trip, isn't that an obvious choice?

Or are everyone who are depending on DAS just perfectly able to barely pay for their trip, with not a penny to spare?

Talk about coincidences.

Am I missing something with all the "useless trips", or "totally non refundable" trips? I mean, G+ isn't free, but if it is "lose a $5000 dollar trip" , or pay a few hundred for G+, or some ILLs to salvage the trip, isn't that an obvious choice?

Or are everyone who are depending on DAS just perfectly able to barely pay for their trip, with not a penny to spare?

Talk about coincidences.
This isn’t about genie+. Many of us who use DAS also buy genie+ and ILLs.

Talk about coincidences.
The problem is Genie+ doesn't work for us for example, there are a lot of rides we don't do, but will do others multiple times, Genie+ doesn't allow for that. Genie+ always has an end to the return times that due to needs you might not be able to to make and if you don't, then you can't go on that ride with Genie+ at all that day. Now, for some these aren't a big deal, for others these are deal breakers.

The problem is Genie+ doesn't work for us for example, there are a lot of rides we don't do, but will do others multiple times, Genie+ doesn't allow for that. Genie+ always has an end to the return times that due to needs you might not be able to to make and if you don't, then you can't go on that ride with Genie+ at all that day. Now, for some these aren't a big deal, for others these are deal breakers.
But that is asking for access that others, without DAS, don't have.

Of course others have access to ride an attraction multiple times, via the standby line. As others have stated multiple times in this thread Genie+ does not work for some DAS users due to the 1 hour return windows.
Ahhh, so everyone else can wait in standby all day for the popular rides, but you should get to reride them all day.

Gotcha

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter