DAS Help

Nana2Callie

DIS Veteran
Question please - I'm not sure if the DAS is what I need or something else. I travel with my granddaughter who has special needs which includes social anxiety especially with strangers. So standing in line for rides without me is really stressful for her. I would like to be able to walk through the line with her (not necessarily riding the attraction). This has been very hit and miss in the past if the cast members would allow or not - especially if it was a Lightening Lane. I'm happy to exit at the ride entrance. Please advise.

I'm not sure DAS will be granted unless the child needs to avoid being in a standard queue environment. It sounds more like she needs you to accompany her in the queue but she'll ride the attraction alone. Yes?

There is no reason you can't accompany her through ANY queue. Then at/near boarding inform the CM you won't be riding and they'll direct you to the chicken exit. Every attraction has a "chicken exit" for non-riders. You don't even need to mention when first joining the queue so no need to be denied entry.

If using the LL, you will both need a Genie+ or ILL$.

Yes I think that is where we experienced the issue - Lightening Lanes and Genie+ as I didn't purchase for myself since I'm not riding.
That would be the issue. Everyone entering the queue must have Genie+ or ILL$. They have no way to flag you (or any guest) as a non-rider. If they allowed people "but I'll use the chicken exit" the queue would be full of extras who don't actually end up exiting.

Yes I think that is where we experienced the issue - Lightening Lanes and Genie+ as I didn't purchase for myself since I'm not riding.
You will need to purchase for both of you if you want to stand in line with her. Comes under same thing as having to purchase for a child to wait with parent and not ride. Not talking about rider swap but an older child who is tall enough to ride but doesn’t want to ride and has no one to wait with

Is she able to wait in the standby lines without a problem as long as you are with her? If so, then a DAS wouldn’t be appropriate, as it is for people who are unable to wait in the standby queue.
Yes but to the OP point if they are buying Lightning Lanes and Genie+ The GD would be waiting by herself as OP will not be buying Genie+ to just stand in line with her.

Some may say she is just trying to game the system others won’t.

The only way to know is to ask Disney if that would qualify.

I would apply for DAS for her indicating the extended time in a Que around strangers is too difficult for her. There’s a difference between queuing and riding with strangers. You should not have to pay for a Genie+ for yourself when you don’t ride the ride. Unfortunately, this semi independent system is not accommodated by Genie, which leaves the only accommodation method to be DAS. So long as she is going on the ride, you can go with her and you do not have to ride.

When our daughter was younger, but old enough to ride by herself I had to go through the line with her and then go through the bypass for any ride that caused me motion sickness, which was a whole bunch of rides. She could handle the ride but not the line by herself.

Yes but to the OP point if they are buying Lightning Lanes and Genie+ The GD would be waiting by herself as OP will not be buying Genie+ to just stand in line with her.

Some may say she is just trying to game the system others won’t.

The only way to know is to ask Disney if that would qualify.
The DAS is so that people who can’t use the standby line can use the LL instead. OP said nothing about her granddaughter not being able to wait in a regular queue (so long as she isn’t alone), so I don’t see how the DAS would apply here.

The DAS isn’t in place so that people don’t have to buy Genie+…if the issue isn’t related to the granddaughter being unable to wait in a regular queue, then OP should buy Genie+!for herself as well for when her granddaughter uses it.

I would apply for DAS for her indicating the extended time in a Que around strangers is too difficult for her. There’s a difference between queuing and riding with strangers. You should not have to pay for a Genie+ for yourself when you don’t ride the ride. Unfortunately, this semi independent system is not accommodated by Genie, which leaves the only accommodation method to be DAS. So long as she is going on the ride, you can go with her and you do not have to ride.

When our daughter was younger, but old enough to ride by herself I had to go through the line with her and then go through the bypass for any ride that caused me motion sickness, which was a whole bunch of rides. She could handle the ride but not the line by herself.
The DQS is not intended to be an accommodation for people who can’t wait in line by themselves - it’s an accommodation for people who can’t wait in the standby line at all. Trying to get a DAS in this case would be, IMO, abusive in that it is to avoid buying a Genie+ for the non rider.

OP is welcome to request DAS, though if her request is what was stated in the first post it will likely be denied. If they are able to wait in the standby queue together, no need to spend extra $$ for either of them. DAS is not intended to give shorter queues without buying G+.

The DAS is so that people who can’t use the standby line can use the LL instead. OP said nothing about her granddaughter not being able to wait in a regular queue (so long as she isn’t alone), so I don’t see how the DAS would apply here.

The DAS isn’t in place so that people don’t have to buy Genie+…if the issue isn’t related to the granddaughter being unable to wait in a regular queue, then OP should buy Genie+!for herself as well for when her granddaughter uses it.
DAS is not so that those who can't use the standby line can use the LL instead.

DAS does utilize the lighting lane entrances but that is not the purpose of DAS.

I'm sorry I couldn't see the post as I was doing it on my phone. I accidentally replied to your post instead of the one by
You will need to purchase for both of you if you want to stand in line with her.

As far as not being able to wait in the regular line was stated by the OP in the original post

Question please - I'm not sure if the DAS is what I need or something else. I travel with my granddaughter who has special needs which includes social anxiety especially with strangers. So standing in line for rides without me is really stressful for her. I would like to be able to walk through the line with her (not necessarily riding the attraction). This has been very hit and miss in the past if the cast members would allow or not - especially if it was a Lightening Lane. I'm happy to exit at the ride entrance. Please advise.

Others think it won't qualify and that is fine but as I stated before only Disney will know if they can accommodate her GD, which only happens if the OP asks Disney directly and it is worth trying to ensure the GD is not stressed out.

DAS is not so that those who can't use the standby line can use the LL instead.

DAS does utilize the lighting lane entrances but that is not the purpose of DAS.

I'm sorry I couldn't see the post as I was doing it on my phone. I accidentally replied to your post instead of the one by

As far as not being able to wait in the regular line was stated by the OP in the original post

Others think it won't qualify and that is fine but as I stated before only Disney will know if they can accommodate her GD, which only happens if the OP asks Disney directly and it is worth trying to ensure the GD is not stressed out.
Of course DAS is so that those who can’t use the standby line can use the LL - that’s exactly what is. After waiting outside the line , of course, but it specifically for using the LL after waiting outside the line.

And I see nowhere in the OP that her granddaughter can’t wait in a standby queue, just that she can’t wait in the line alone.

Of course she can ask, but as she explained it here , I would think she would and should be denied.

Of course DAS is so that those who can’t use the standby line can use the LL - that’s exactly what is. After waiting outside the line , of course, but it specifically for using the LL after waiting outside the line.
I'm so glad Disney doesn't agree with you otherwise DS would never get to ride Astro Orbiter as there is not a lightning lane. We are able to get a return time with DAS even though the ride doesn't have a lightning lane.

AGAIN DAS Utilizes the LL when available BUT that is not the purpose of DAS.

DAS is for people who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability DAS allows them to request a return time for the attraction/show based on the current wait time. Instead of waiting in the normal line they could take a seat at a qs, use the restroom, run around not being confined to inside a line.

In fact there is not a single mention of Lightning Lane (LL) on the DAS webpage or FAQ
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/

And I see nowhere in the OP that her granddaughter can’t wait in a standby queue, just that she can’t wait in the line alone.

As far as standing in a standard que the OP states clear as day that she has special needs with anxiety with strangers and standing without the OP is stressful. I might be wrong but the way I interpret that is that, no she can not stand in line by herself.

Of course she can ask, but as she explained it here , I would think she would and should be denied.
That is certainly your opinion but as I stated from the beginning is that OP will not get an answer without asking and many have been approved for like reasons. Just because you can't see or understand doesn't mean that person does not have a disability that would impact their ability to tolerate things that others take for granted.

I'm so glad Disney doesn't agree with you otherwise DS would never get to ride Astro Orbiter as there is not a lightning lane. We are able to get a return time with DAS even though the ride doesn't have a lightning lane.

AGAIN DAS Utilizes the LL when available BUT that is not the purpose of DAS.

DAS is for people who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability DAS allows them to request a return time for the attraction/show based on the current wait time. Instead of waiting in the normal line they could take a seat at a qs, use the restroom, run around not being confined to inside a line.

In fact there is not a single mention of Lightning Lane (LL) on the DAS webpage or FAQ
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/

As far as standing in a standard que the OP states clear as day that she has special needs with anxiety with strangers and standing without the OP is stressful. I might be wrong but the way I interpret that is that, no she can not stand in line by herself.

That is certainly your opinion but as I stated from the beginning is that OP will not get an answer without asking and many have been approved for like reasons. Just because you can't see or understand doesn't mean that person does not have a disability that would impact their ability to tolerate things that others take for granted.
You’re missing the key point of what would qualify for a DAS, and the OP never mentions it - the inability to wait in a standby queue.

The OP never says her granddaughter can’t wait in a standby queue, she says she can’t wait alone. Two totally different things. The former can be addressed by DAS; the latter can be addressed without a DAS by the OP always waiting with her granddaughter.

If the granddaughter is able to wait in the standby queue so long as OP is with her, then a DAS shouldn’t be granted just so the OP doesn’t have to buy Genie+ for those rides where the granddaughter wants to use the LL.

You’re missing the key point of what would qualify for a DAS, and the OP never mentions it - the inability to wait in a standby queue.

The OP never says her granddaughter can’t wait in a standby queue, she says she can’t wait alone. Two totally different things. The former can be addressed by DAS; the latter can be addressed without a DAS by the OP always waiting with her granddaughter.

If the granddaughter is able to wait in the standby queue so long as OP is with her, then a DAS shouldn’t be granted just so the OP doesn’t have to buy Genie+ for those rides where the granddaughter wants to use the LL.
I do know what would qualify and these are two different things however in this situation they do matter as they interact together.

Post #4 the OP states that they purchased Genie+ for her GD but did not buy it for herself as she is not riding the ride.
She just wants to provide support to relieve anxiety from her daughter while she is waiting in line which imo would qualify the GD as she can clearly not wait in line alone. Since OP has not purchased genie+ for herself the GD would not be able to wait in the genie+ lines as she would be alone.

I can certainly see where people might try and skirt the system here and say that so they don't have to pay for a genie+ but I'm going to assume the OP is a trustworthy person and that the GD would qualify.

Again it is not for me or you to interpret the rules as I stated in post #2 that they will need to ask Disney and go from there.

I do know what would qualify and these are two different things however in this situation they do matter as they interact together.

Post #4 the OP states that they purchased Genie+ for her GD but did not buy it for herself as she is not riding the ride.
She just wants to provide support to relieve anxiety from her daughter while she is waiting in line which imo would qualify the GD as she can clearly not wait in line alone. Since OP has not purchased genie+ for herself the GD would not be able to wait in the genie+ lines as she would be alone.

I can certainly see where people might try and skirt the system here and say that so they don't have to pay for a genie+ but I'm going to assume the OP is a trustworthy person and that the GD would qualify.

Again it is not for me or you to interpret the rules as I stated in post #2 that they will need to ask Disney and go from there.
Yes, we’ll agree to disagree on this one. Using a DAS in order to not purchase Genie+ is abusive, IMO, because if the GD can wait in standby, and OP doesn’t want to buy Genie+ for herself, then they should just stick with standby only.

She can certainly ask, but I would hope that the CM would deny the DAS.

Last edited:
Folks it may be time to back away from this thread. No one here can determine for sure if the OPs granddaughter would receive DAS. Other suggestions have been shared.

Key points:
Genie+ is not required to access any attraction.
Waiting together is possible in the standby queue even if someone doesn’t ride. It’s similar to how Rider Swap works with s person tall enough to ride.
Waiting together is possible in the LL if everyone has access to it (purchase G+ or ILL$ or using DAS).

Anymore arguing will be deleted.

Might be a dumb suggestion, but here goes........If your DGD does genie plus, could you facetime during her time in line. Maybe play a game on the phone. I have no idea how to do these things, but my grandkids play together in games on their phones. Maybe just having some contact with you , will be enough.

How old is she? Maybe try something like this at home. Go to grocery store. You wait at exit and she does shopping for a few things. Of course she isn't waiting in a line for 45 mins, but still something to try.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter