Dash and dine - leaving a tip?

I think the manager meant "eating-on-the-run", not "dine & dash". Many Disney enthusiasts, ourselves included, do not like to waste time waiting for the check. I always ask for the bill when the servers bring the food, so everything can be paid and signed before the last bite is taken.
No, she said they had trouble with people leaving without paying.

Asking for the bill when a plate of food brought to you, could be all you are eating. I haven't taken a poll, but I think most people with a buffet , take more than one plate. For myself, I like to take a bit of this and that and go back for what I like.

When we go to a meal to disney, we intend to enjoy the food. If we wanted to eat and rush out to space mountain, we would eat a bagel in the room.

Like I said this was the only time this happened.

Some years ago we were eating at boma for breakfast. After we sat with our first plate, the server came over with our bill. Stood it up on the table so we couldn't miss it. We found it very off putting. I talk to the manager. She said they had issues with people eating and running.

If I my plan was to eat and run, putting a bill in our faces, wouldn't have changed our mind.
I found this surprising. Most Disney restaurants you would need a reservation and they could trace you.

No, she said they had trouble with people leaving without paying.

Asking for the bill when a plate of food brought to you, could be all you are eating. I haven't taken a poll, but I think most people with a buffet , take more than one plate. For myself, I like to take a bit of this and that and go back for what I like.

When we go to a meal to disney, we intend to enjoy the food. If we wanted to eat and rush out to space mountain, we would eat a bagel in the room.

Like I said this was the only time this happened.
Just because you got your check quickly doesn't mean you have to leave any sooner than you planned.

In my experience servers who drop the check early in the dining process almost always say "no rush" as they leave the check.

I prefer the US system of giving a check before it is requested over other countries system of not giving it until requested.

Just because you got your check quickly doesn't mean you have to leave any sooner than you planned.

In my experience servers who drop the check early in the dining process almost always say "no rush" as they leave the check.

I prefer the US system of giving a check before it is requested over other countries system of not giving it until requested.

I have no problem with that. If I order anything else (like dessert or a beverage) they can usually add that later, or maybe just a new check. It certainly doesn't bother me, as I know that servers can be busy and are trying to maximize the time they can, you know, serve.

But as for my original comment, I was just thinking of the oddity that a dine and dasher would think enough to tip the server. It's like saying "nothing personal".

I do remember one episode of the sitcom Threes Company where there was one guy who faked choking on food to avoid paying a bill. He figured that nobody would think it was appropriate to charge him after he "nearly died".

I have no problem with that. If I order anything else (like dessert or a beverage) they can usually add that later, or maybe just a new check. It certainly doesn't bother me, as I know that servers can be busy and are trying to maximize the time they can, you know, serve.

But as for my original comment, I was just thinking of the oddity that a dine and dasher would think enough to tip the server. It's like saying "nothing personal".

I do remember one episode of the sitcom Threes Company where there was one guy who faked choking on food to avoid paying a bill. He figured that nobody would think it was appropriate to charge him after he "nearly died".
As to your original question, I would imagine that the bill needs to be satisfied before any money goes towards a tip.

If someone dined and dashed and left $5 on the table I think the restaurant owner is entitled to the $5 not the server.

As to your original question, I would imagine that the bill needs to be satisfied before any money goes towards a tip.

If someone dined and dashed and left $5 on the table I think the restaurant owner is entitled to the $5 not the server.

I found the claim on Reddit. The claim was that it was handed directly to the server and that the manager was actually asking the server to cover the entire check (or I think that's what it was) even though the manager made no attempt to track down the perps.

Had my first ever dine and dash today! Last table of the night, family of four, two adults two kids. Kids spills two drinks, I tell them I’ll be sure to leave the second one off the bill because accidents happen, but two drinks and an entire bowl of popcorn spilled, not to mention the fries, broccoli, mashed potatoes and condiments left ALL over the floor, booth and table, these people knew they were leaving me with a huge mess and that they weren’t going to pay. The kicker is, they did hand me $28 in cash for being “the best waitress ever”. I had a feeling they would d&d, i asked the host to watch the car and my manager to go out to the car with the bill because I had closing duties, but manager said no that would be rude and host watched the wrong car anyway. I kept my $28 and when my manager said i’d have to cover the $83 meal, i reminded him that i had asked him to get them and he said no, so it wasn’t really on me that they got away. He shrugged and said that’s fair. unfortunately our security cameras don’t actually record and are just for show so they did truly get away with it, but at least i covered my back and got a nice tip out of the night!​

To us, it felt very much, you got a plate of food, now get out. As I said , we weren't there more than 20 mins. And that 20 mins, included we got our coffee, etc, and went to buffet. Not sitting there for 20 mins with empty plates.
I'd much rather have them bring it early, then add to it later if I ordered something extra, than have to wait around 15 minutes for them to bring it to me in the first place. Especially since usually when they bring it, they drop it and run, then I have to wait another who knows how long to come and take my card to run it.

I LOVE the restaurants that have the table top things where I can pay as soon as I'm ready and then go without have to wait around for the bill.

I'd much rather have them bring it early, then add to it later if I ordered something extra, than have to wait around 15 minutes for them to bring it to me in the first place. Especially since usually when they bring it, they drop it and run, then I have to wait another who knows how long to come and take my card to run it.

I LOVE the restaurants that have the table top things where I can pay as soon as I'm ready and then go without have to wait around for the bill.
Yes I understand what you are saying, but it wasn't a "I'll just leave this here when you're ready" and lays in down on the side or even stands it off to the side.. Server came over and stood the holder up in between our plates, right in the line of sight.

I found this surprising. Most Disney restaurants you would need a reservation and they could trace you.
I thought the very same thing. I do hope the D&D’ers are pursued in instances like this, if for no other reasons than just to emphasize how stupid they are. :laughing:
I was going to say the same thing. Every time a server has brought a check out early and set in on the table, it's always been with the "no rush" comment from them.
The thing about this for me is it seems like when they bring the bill, they are “done” with your table. This is especially true at very busy places where they’re trying to turn tables quickly. I’ve not found servers to remain attentive at that point, which is fine if I’ve asked for the bill and am getting ready to go, not so fine if they’ve just arbitrarily decided.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter