DCL not ready to return to Tortola yet...

Hi Sweetpee! We're on the same cruise! What will you be doing if we go to tortola?
If we make Tortola we will do a private charter to Virgin Gorda/Baths. Nobody else in our group has been before. I’ve been twice. ;)

Doesn't look like we're going to Tortola (we would have arrived there on August 28), however we were scheduled to be there 7:30am - 5:45pm.
Our port schedule shows these same times for Tortola which will be super nice for me. I’ve been on 3 NCL cruise port days and they pull out at like 3:00 in the afternoon.

I guess we should make Tortola reservations and wait to see if they switch to St. Maarten

Yes. Because if they change people will be running around like headless chickens. The non-DCL options on both islands are better, and have kind cancel policies if the itinerary changes.

Did you receive an email from DCL regarding this? I spoke to them today and they said they that it might be another couple months until they know.

Not yet. Seems like a safe assumption though.

Yes. Because if they change people will be running around like headless chickens. The non-DCL options on both islands are better, and have kind cancel policies if the itinerary changes.
Concerned about the non-DCl excursions. Isn't it true that a delay back to the ship is allowed with DCL excursions (ship will wait) but not otherwise?

Concerned about the non-DCl excursions. Isn't it true that a delay back to the ship is allowed with DCL excursions (ship will wait) but not otherwise?

It is extremely rare that you won't be back in time. Private providers live and die by their TripAdvisor ratings and word of mouth on cruise boards. They will get you back.

Issues are more common on Alaskan cruises and similar, because of fog and helicopters and the like.

We went private on SXM and were back a full 90 minutes before all aboard, including stopping for ice cream after a full day tour. People we were talking to on ship who did DCL tours were all pretty meh about them. There is a big difference on these islands between the small groups you'll get going private to the cattle calls coming off DCL.

I guess we should make Tortola reservations and wait to see if they switch to St. Maarten
That’s my plan. If we switch to St. Maarten I’m just heading to Maho for the day. I don’t care if the friends come with me or if I go alone. Maho is a must for me.

That’s my plan. If we switch to St. Maarten I’m just heading to Maho for the day. I don’t care if the friends come with me or if I go alone. Maho is a must for me.
Ahhhh yes. Where a 747 comes within inches of the beach goers. I love those videos. What else is there to do there?

St Maarteen and St Thomas are the current ports on the Eastern Cruise. There should be allot of intel on their condition

St Maarteen and St Thomas are the current ports on the Eastern Cruise. There should be allot of intel on their condition
St. Thomas I’ve been to...oh man...4 times, I think. Maybe more. I’ll find a charter to snorkel or just wander around the port shopping area. I know in St. Maarten the Sunset Bar is back up & running so I’m all set there. Trip Advisor is a great tool for recent reports!

Ahhhh yes. Where a 747 comes within inches of the beach goers. I love those videos. What else is there to do there?
I don’t think the 747s come in anymore. Biggest I know of are the A340-300 but it’s not a daily thing. It’s still fun. We didn’t have a 747 the day I was there’s with my family back in 2012 (I think) but it was still amazing. Hubby rode the fence & got a scratched lip from a flying rock. One of our favorite port days ever. I’m not sure what else to do at St. Maarten. Hubby & sons are so into aviation there’s nothing else we’ve ever considered. I suppose I should look at what else is there. LOL! I’m not much for laying around at beaches.

People calling DCL regarding July have been assured they are going to Tortola. I know several who will be disappointed if it is changed again so late in the game.

fyi DCL was assuring us we’d be going to Tortola up until the moment the itinerary was changed 2 weeks before our sail date in early April. Our group was extremely disappointed about the change, but if I’m being honest we ended up having a great time in St. Maarten on the Golden Eagle Catamaran excursion.

Here is a review on TA from one month ago on a Tortola Land and Sea tour.....

The effects of the hurricane damage is still very evident with roofs blown off, windows shattered and telegraph poles snapped in two like matchsticks but the charm of Tortola shines through and we stopped at roadside bars/cafes and small places selling souvenirs which were fascinating. When you reach it, the views down onto Cane Garden Bay are stunning. Then by taking one of the small boats available for charter or as a fare paying passenger you should sail out to the Sir Francis Drake Passage and see at close quarters the various islands including the one reputed to be the inspiration for Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island and the nearby Dead Chest Island.

We received confirmation from Shoreside Concierge that out Tortola excursion is booked. I guess that means we are going to Tortola (at least for now)

We received confirmation from Shoreside Concierge that out Tortola excursion is booked. I guess that means we are going to Tortola (at least for now)

The early year cruisers got the same confirms, so it is still possible things go boom. As of May 16, the BVI were still talking about the visit and preparations, but their PR said they had no commitment from Disney yet. If they had the commitment, they'd trumpet it. They need the good news.

I agree with the other poster that the locals make their living off of making sure everyone is back in time, but the answer to your question is still yes. If something unforeseen happens, the ship will leave. But if you’re on a DCL excursion, they’ll hold the ship for the excursion.

We left late from a Canada stop (I forget the port) on the Magic because of a sudden heavy rain that flooded out the roads, and we had to wait for a DCL bus to get back.

So WE would never take a private excursion, but there are literally thousands of cruisers who do every single day.

I wish DCL would make some kind of definitive statement as to when they will return to Tortola, or at the least, say for how much longer they are sure they won't be back. They have everyone sailing on an Eastern itinerary over the next few months in limbo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter