DCL Puzzle Gift - looking for info

rab1022

Mouseketeer
Like everyone else, we’re spending our quarantine time dreaming of our next Disney Cruise and looking back through all of our memories. Well, in doing so we came across this puzzle that we very vaguely remember receiving.

It is a 100 piece puzzle of Don “Ducky” Williams’ “Pals Playing Pirates at Castaway Cay” limited-edition lithograph.

I’m wondering if anyone has any information on it (when we would have received it, did all Castaway Club members receive it, etc). Thanks!8F8DD3F5-ED6A-4BD4-9EB0-7CCF1B625188.jpegB873A15E-7199-4102-AFAB-5075B97EA3B5.jpeg

The lithograph that the puzzle is based on is from around 2004. So figure it close to there.

DId you sail any special cruises? Like a DVC one? It could have been a special gift from that.

Wish we got one of those after one of our nine cruises with DCL. Now, be thankful it is only 100 pieces...should be very satisfying to solve during this time of hunkering, distancing, masking, etc. Wife and I started a 2,000-piece Thomas Kinkade beauty that is suppose to take our minds off the fact that our late June WDW visit and following 10-day DCL cruise are currently hanging in the balance. This puzzle just adds to the pressure. Wine helps...a little. If there is an age restriction for either mouse adventures, we might have to stay home and finish this monster...might be 2021 before that happens.

It was a gift that they mailed to Castaway Club members. We used to get small gifts at random intervals. (Could have been tied to a sailing but Disney was always very sporadic in sending it was hard to tell why you were getting something.) This was included in a few year period when we got things like the music CD, pins, do I remember something with a scratch and sniff coconut??. It was the early 2000's so 2004-2005 sounds about right. Not every Castaway Club member got it. I know mine's packed up somewhere - saw it when we were packing up the house a year or two ago.

The lithograph that the puzzle is based on is from around 2004. So figure it close to there.

DId you sail any special cruises? Like a DVC one? It could have been a special gift from that.

I went on my first DCL Cruise in ‘99 and probably received this on one of our 4 cruises between 2011-2013. Wondering if it was the 2011 as a gift for returning after 12 years?

Wish we got one of those after one of our nine cruises with DCL. Now, be thankful it is only 100 pieces...should be very satisfying to solve during this time of hunkering, distancing, masking, etc. Wife and I started a 2,000-piece Thomas Kinkade beauty that is suppose to take our minds off the fact that our late June WDW visit and following 10-day DCL cruise are currently hanging in the balance. This puzzle just adds to the pressure. Wine helps...a little. If there is an age restriction for either mouse adventures, we might have to stay home and finish this monster...might be 2021 before that happens.
We just finished a 2000 piece as well! Can’t decide if this Castaway Club one will get glued and join the rest of our Disney puzzle wall or get put back into storage as a collectible.

I went on my first DCL Cruise in ‘99 and probably received this on one of our 4 cruises between 2011-2013. Wondering if it was the 2011 as a gift for returning after 12 years?

We did our first cruise in 2001 and received Mickey trading pins. Second cruise was 2014, so 13 years later. We didn't receive anything special like your puzzle. We have received the art prints after every cruise. We got the gold level magnet a year after our 6th cruise, never got the silver level magnet, so I was surprised when the gold one arrived.

We did our first cruise in 2001 and received Mickey trading pins. Second cruise was 2014, so 13 years later. We didn't receive anything special like your puzzle. We have received the art prints after every cruise. We got the gold level magnet a year after our 6th cruise, never got the silver level magnet, so I was surprised when the gold one arrived.
We’ve received the art prints as well, but have never gotten a silver or gold magnet. May just chalk this up to some random pixie dust

2011 seems too late for this. They went to the tiered levels in 2009; I definitely remember getting these long before that. Once the levels were introduced, we stopped getting Castaway Club "surprises". So I doubt they were a welcome back gift.
We just finished a 2000 piece as well! Can’t decide if this Castaway Club one will get glued and join the rest of our Disney puzzle wall or get put back into storage as a collectible.
As someone who owns one mint in the mailer, I encourage you to glue the puzzle and so you can see it and enjoy it! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter