DCL Transfer Baggage Tags and ?s

allaboutthemouse

DIS Veteran
Haven’t used DCL transfers in a long time…do we get luggage tags mailed to us? Or do we get them when we check in to hotel? We are staying on WDW property night before, and I have read we leave our luggage in our room with tags and they pick up starting at 7am? Do they usually come right at 7? Feels weird to leave it there and get on a bus and hope it gets picked up! What if it doesn’t???! Lol!
We usually just carry our stuff on, carryon size and backpack, so as to keep our stuff with us, but idk if I want to be burdened with it this time.

Luggage tags are mailed. We even leave luggage in the room at the port partner hotels and have never had an issue. Always made it to the ship.

Luggage tags will be mailed, although it does happen that they don’t arrive. If that is the case, there will be a DCL representative in the lobby of your resort that can give you luggage tags. If you are nervous about having the bags picked up in your room, you can take them up to the lobby and drop them off there and they will make it to the ship.

We just booked a cruise for Jan 7th a few days ago so I know our luggage tags will not be mailed to us. That said we are also staying at one of the Disney pre cruise hotels in Ft. Lauderdale (booked on points) and will be taking DCL transfers from hotel. There will be a DCL rep in the lobby in the morning who will have luggage tags. We actually brought our checked bags down to the lobby with us last time and put the tags on there. Then they loaded the bags on the bus. But they do usually pick up right from your room but I don't know if those bags go by truck or by the same bus you are on to the terminal.

MJ

Our experience at disney hotels has been they always pick up the bags well before our designated meetup time for the bus. Usually right at 7 or shortly thereafter.

I always stress about whether or not my bags get picked up but they always do including from Disney hotels, MCO Hyatt, in Barcelona and London. But I still stress. In September, we were at the MCO Hyatt, and we tracked our bags using Apple AirTags, which had a real lag on them. We were sitting in the Rose about an hour before sail away and it said they were still at the hotel. Then suddenly, it showed them coming over the causeway. Then it said they were on the dock for a long time, then suddenly on the ship. I'm not sure if it was more stressful tracking them with slow updating or just trusting. Still, we always make sure that we have at least 1-2 changes of clothes and our bathing suits in our carry-on just in case, though they've never failed to pick up on time and deliver them.

Thanks so much, everyone!

Will we receive info in our room about the pickup time then?
At this point, I am thinking we won’t get the tags before the cruise. I booked this 45 days before sailing, so kinda last minute, guess that’s why?

Another question I thought of….I booked this sailing as GTY, not GT, and we got our room assignment about 30 days before. I booked GTY 5C, but was assigned a 4C accessible room.
I was surprised to be assigned an accessible room 30 days before…what if someone who needs the room calls in right before sailing to book? Do we get reassigned?

Thanks so much, everyone!

Will we receive info in our room about the pickup time then?
At this point, I am thinking we won’t get the tags before the cruise. I booked this 45 days before sailing, so kinda last minute, guess that’s why?

Another question I thought of….I booked this sailing as GTY, not GT, and we got our room assignment about 30 days before. I booked GTY 5C, but was assigned a 4C accessible room.
I was surprised to be assigned an accessible room 30 days before…what if someone who needs the room calls in right before sailing to book? Do we get reassigned?
You may still get luggage tags as they’re often mailed about 30 days before the cruise. You will get an email and a door hanger at your resort the night before with the meeting time for your transfers.

it is possible that you could be moved, but I would guess at this point Disney thinks they will not need the accessible room which is why it was assigned to you.

We booked the Jan 7th, 2024 Dream cruise literally 7 days before the cruise so I knew we would not get tags. I booked a "Disney" hotel in FLL on points and met with the DCL rep the night before the cruise in the lobby. She gave me luggage tags. She was there again the am to help people with their transfers. We were returning a rental car so we weren't going to take the DCL transfers. We decided not to take the DCL transfers from the Hilton Marina.

MJ

Last edited:
We booked the Jan 7th, 2024 Dream cruise literally 7 days before the cruise so I knew we would not get tags. I booked a "Disney" hotel in FLL on points and met with the DCL rep the night before the cruise in the lobby. She gave me luggage tags. She was there again the am to help people with their transfers. We were returning a rental car so we weren't going to take the DCL transfers. We decided not to take the DCL transfers from the Hilton Marina.

MJ
This is something I've been wondering about as we're staying in All Star Movies the night before our cruise. We've booked DCL transfers but our hotel was booked separately and not linked to our cruise reservation.

Will a DCL rep be around that can link everything up?

Long-winded way of asking how will DCL know to collect bags from our room of the reservation is separate? Or will this be a case where we bring our luggage with us to the bus or lobby and figure it out from there?

This is something I've been wondering about as we're staying in All Star Movies the night before our cruise. We've booked DCL transfers but our hotel was booked separately and not linked to our cruise reservation.

Will a DCL rep be around that can link everything up?

Long-winded way of asking how will DCL know to collect bags from our room of the reservation is separate? Or will this be a case where we bring our luggage with us to the bus or lobby and figure it out from there?

Several times we have stayed at a WDW resort booked on our own and not through DCL and took DCL transfers to the port. Just tell them at the front desk that you are taking DCL transfers and they should have a letter explaining what the process is on cruise day. Usually bags are picked up directly from your room around 7-8 am and you just meet in the lobby at the designated time. There definitely will be a DCL rep in the lobby of your resort morning of cruise. Having the DCL rep in the hotel the night before in Fort Lauderdale was new to me but glad they were there so I could pick up my luggage tags.

MJ

Several times we have stayed at a WDW resort booked on our own and not through DCL and took DCL transfers to the port. Just tell them at the front desk that you are taking DCL transfers and they should have a letter explaining what the process is on cruise day. Usually bags are picked up directly from your room around 7-8 am and you just meet in the lobby at the designated time. There definitely will be a DCL rep in the lobby of your resort morning of cruise. Having the DCL rep in the hotel the night before in Fort Lauderdale was new to me but glad they were there so I could pick up my luggage tags.

MJ
Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter