DCL Transfer tipping

ifitzger

Earning My Ears
When you get dropped off at PC by the DCL bus, are there porters, or do you just tip the driver?
Thanks!!

When you get dropped off at PC by the DCL bus, are there porters, or do you just tip the driver?
Thanks!!
Using DCL transfers, if you fly in, the bags typically go via truck to the port (not on the bus with you).

If your bags are on the bus with you, there are porters where the bus drops you off. Tipping (who/how much) - entirely up to you.

Using DCL transfers, if you fly in, the bags typically go via truck to the port (not on the bus with you).

If your bags are on the bus with you, there are porters where the bus drops you off. Tipping (who/how much) - entirely up to you.
Staying at the Hyatt first.

Staying at the Hyatt first.
Hyatt at the airport? Then you will leave your bags in your room for pick up. Hyatt & DCL have a program to pick up the bags and get them to the DCL truck for going to the ship. You won't see your bags until they arrive at your room onboard the ship. Be sure to mention to the person checking you in at the Hyatt that you have DCL transfers the next day.

I usually tip $2/bag if any driver or porter handle my bags. How much to tip is totally up to you.

I usually tip $2/bag if any driver or porter handle my bags. How much to tip is totally up to you.
Since OP is asking about using DCL transfers and is staying (I think) at the airport Hyatt, there is no driver or porter luggage handling that he/she will encounter.

::MinnieMo
We are using Cortrans shuttle and staying at the Hyatt. I assume we will tip our shuttle driver and the porters at the curb when we are dropped off at the port. Enjoy your cruise.

Hyatt at the airport? Then you will leave your bags in your room for pick up. Hyatt & DCL have a program to pick up the bags and get them to the DCL truck for going to the ship. You won't see your bags until they arrive at your room onboard the ship. Be sure to mention to the person checking you in at the Hyatt that you have DCL transfers the next day.
Thanks! Yes...staying right at MCO. I'm assuming no one has had problems leaving the bags in the room and nothing getting lost?

Thanks! Yes...staying right at MCO. I'm assuming no one has had problems leaving the bags in the room and nothing getting lost?
In all my time on this forum, I've only read of one instance of lost bags. When you check in at the Hyatt, tell them you're taking the DCL transfers the next day. They'll give you a form to fill out:
hyatt mco letter front 2016 1413 P1080732 1500.jpg

You fill it out, tear it off and bring it with you to the DCL transfer desk. When you check in there (in the morning) you give them (DCL people) the slip and they use that to confirm with the Hyatt that they picked up your bags.

When we have stayed at the Hyatt and taken DCL to the port, I have tipped the driver. Even though the driver does not handle our large pieces of luggage, he does stow our carryons and in my family's case, operate the lift and assist with a power wheelchair. I think even if I was carrying just a purse and had no assistance at all, I would tip a dollar or two for my family. As with any tipping situation, it is at your discretion.

At your discretion. Generally whomever touches your bags. Nominal tip to bus driver, a bit more if you bring our bags with us. Tip to porters on the way in if we have our bags with us-haven't transferred them by one of the ways mentioned above. Last time we stayed at the Hyatt, we had our bags picked up from the room. I left a tip with the bags and went down for breakfast. When we got back, the tip was gone and the bags were still there. Hmmm... When I saw the gentleman picking up the bags, I asked if he was taking the bags and did he take the tip that we left for him-seriously, it was under the handle of the suitcase. He claimed he never got it.???:scratchin

I like to tip the bus driver a few bucks but the last time I was the only one who did and the driver seemed overly enthusiastic, so I'm guessing they don't expect tips or get them very often. Maybe people probably think it's included in the transfer cost vs the free DME service. I say if he or she does a nice job then give them a few bucks.

An older gentleman asked if he could take my small carry on once I got off the bus. This was my first cruise and I was a noob and took roller luggage with me not realizing that I'd have to cart it around with me for the afternoon until my stateroom was ready. I was hesitant at first, but handed it to him anyway and gave him a few bucks. He didn't look like a porter but I figure if someone is taking my luggage then they should get at least $2 per bag. I watched him basically wheel it a few feet to where other luggage was accumulating so I guess he really wasn't a porter- just someone at DCL trying to make it easier on people by letting them know they don't have to take all their bags with them into the terminal.

I watched him basically wheel it a few feet to where other luggage was accumulating so I guess he really wasn't a porter- just someone at DCL trying to make it easier on people by letting them know they don't have to take all their bags with them into the terminal.
Typically, at most terminals I've been through, the curbside porters only take the bags from your vehicle to the building (basically on the other side of the sidewalk). There they hand them off to the longshoremen who actually load the bags onto the ship. And from there the DCL CMs get the bags to your room.

So, yes you're tipping them to move your bags about 5 feet.

You don't see them. You leave your bags in your room, and head down to the DCL transfer desk. They come in, pick up bags, and transport them to DCL truck to be taken to the ship.
When we did this, my wife left an envelope with tip money and a note on the luggage we left in the room at the Hyatt

Whether it is the Hyatt MCO or a Disney hotel, if we are leaving our luggage in the room to be picked up, we will leave the tip with the bags. While it is possible that housekeeping can come in and take the tip meant for the porter, haven't had that happen to us - that we know of!

Whether it is the Hyatt MCO or a Disney hotel, if we are leaving our luggage in the room to be picked up, we will leave the tip with the bags. While it is possible that housekeeping can come in and take the tip meant for the porter, haven't had that happen to us - that we know of!
We do the same, in a labeled envelope set atop one of the bags.

Thanks, PP, for bumping. I also had a question about tipping. We are staying at the Hyatt MCO and have a Disney transfer but do not have a room reservation through Disney. According to my TA, only room reservations through Disney will have their luggage loaded on the bus by a porter. So if we independently bring our luggage to the bus, I assume we tip the bus driver for loading it? Will we have to claim our luggage at port too and bring it to a porter at Port Canaveral?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter