DDP dining review 4/30-5/6

littlele

Mouseketeer
I will try to keep this somewhat simple, but forgive me if I ramble on about our recent trip (me, DH, DD7).

4/30-
After arriving later in the evening we decided to eat at the POFQ food court and shared two chicken parmesan meals. Between the decent chicken, spaghetti that came with it, and the fruit (dessert), it was plenty for the three of us. Not bad fast food, but not fast either.

5/1-
ABC Commissary-
We somehow were only charged for one CS credit, even though we got three adult meals. We figured it would catch up with us later, but it never did. Some of you will have to forgive me when I tell you that we occassionally got adult meals for my daughter (as we did here) but I was not going to give a child who needed all of the energy in the world (no pun intended) chicken nuggets and mac and cheese everyday.
Meals-Fish and chips, Curry w/rice, Tabbouleh wrap
Dessert-Ice cream bar, sugar free strawberry parfait, chocolate mousse

We all thought it was pretty good food and would recommend this place as far as CS goes. I really liked the mousse and it was nice that my DD could have a sugar free treat.

WPuck Express-
First off, our cashier didn't seem to thrilled when I told him we were on the plan, but oh well! He told me that we couldn't have the meatloaf or ravioli but anything else to eat and only a fountain drink for our beverage.
Meals-Pizza, BBQ chicken, Mac n Cheese (they were very aware of the child credit)
Dessert-the five pound brownies and cookies

The pizza was not enough for the DH, the mac n cheese was tiny and my chicken was the only tasty, satisfying meal (it came with a caesar salad also). The desserts were not so great either. The brownie tasted like a chunk of squished chocolate (not as good as one would think) and the cookies were dry and overly crunchy. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this for a CS credit.

5/2-
Leaning Palms-
This was the longest CS incident in our entire trip. First they lost our order (ughhh!), then they forgot our drinks and had closed right after we had sat down and realized it, so we had to get someone to get them to open up again so we could get our drinks.

Meals-chicken sandwich w/fries, chili dog w/fries, cheese pretzel kids meal
Dessert-ice cream bar, sugar free brownie, fruit cup

The sandwich was dry and DH really didn't want to eat it, the chili dog that was meant to satisfy a strange craving didn't deliver, but the DD's pretzel seemed to hit the spot. Again, nice to have a sugar free option and DD seemed to really like that too. Sorry to say that I couldn't recommend this place either, but when you're at TLagoon, what are you going to do?

Les Chefs de France-
Far and away the best meal of the entire trip!!! We all loved the food and the service. My DD commented on how nice it was to see a server take their job so seriously. Kudos to Arnaud!

Appetizer-Cheese plate, Tarte a la Flamme Alsacienne
Meals-Kids chicken with pasta, Canard a l'orange, haricots vert (duck with sweet and sour orange sauce and green beans and potatoes) and Filet de boeuf grille, sauce au poivre noir, gratin Dauphinois et haricots verts (beef tenderloin with green beans and potatoes)
Desserts-Profiterolles au Chocolat(puffs with chocolate and vanilla ice cream) and Tarte Tatin et sa glace vanille (warm upside-down spiced apple tart with vanilla ice cream).

The cheese plate was an excellent start as it had four different types of cheeses in large servings, so it was perfect for the cheese lovers in DD and myself. The DH had the tarte which was kind of a wafer like pizza style dish (my description will never do it justice) with a creamy sauce and bacon and onions on top. Delicious! The duck and steak were both very tasty and the kids meal was both good quality and good size.
The desserts were thoroughly enjoyed as they were both the right combination of sweet and yet not too sweet.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!

5/3-
Crystal Palace character lunch-
My DH picked this place and was quite happy with himself afterwards. Although the check in leaves something to be desired (quite a long line with a lot of grumpy people) once you're seated it was a nice way to see the Pooh characters and relax. The buffet was much nicer than you would normally run into. Everything from flank steak, salmon, croissants with sandwich fixings, several salads including fruit salad, and yummy desserts like flan and bread pudding with Bailey's. We liked all of it (especially the Thai green curry) and would recommend it.

Coral Reef-
Unfortunately a bit of a dissappointment. The restaurant itself is a nice setting, but the entrees were less than great.

Apps-Shrimp cocktail, lobster soup, calamari (they let DD get an adult app)
Meals-crab cake, flounder and kids special scallops
Desserts-chocolate wave, butterscotch brulee and kids make your own sundae

The calamari was good, but the soup was more of a paste and the shrimp cocktail had about 4 shrimp (I would be really peaved had I paid $9.95 for it). The crab cake was a mushy, soggy mess on top of some sort of unrecognizable potato dish. The childs special was a nice combo of mashed potatoes, fried scallops and broccoli. Frankly the kids meal (with adult app) was the best thing about this place. The chocolate wave and creme brulee were ok.

Now I know that there are many differing opinions about this place so I went in with low expectations. And while the service was good (excellent hostess and nice server who gave my daughter a glow cube as we were finishing) I just wouldn't want anyone to order that mess of a crab cake, shrimp cocktail, flounder or soup. Oh well, I wanted to give it a shot.

5/4-
Flame tree BBQ-
This was a nice CS and it was nice to enjoy our meal by the water.

Meals-Rib meal x2 and fruit platter (with onion rings as an included side)
Desserts-frozen lemonade, key lime pie and chocolate cake

We all enjoyed the ribs, beans and corn and nibbled on the huge fruit platter. There was more than enough food there for the three of us and so we packed up some of the fruit for later. The pie was yummy and the cake was good, but we couldn't eat the frozen lemonade. I think this was the beginning of sugar overload for all of us.

Everyone recommends this CS with good reason!

Le Cellier-
As much as I know this restaurant is adored around here, I have to say that it was a distant second to Les Chefs. I had heard so many good things about the pretzel bread and cheese soup but really didn't enjoy either. The pretzel bread was really dry and the soup was very salty.

Apps-cheese plate, cheese soup and barley soup
Meals-New York strip steak, mushroom filet mignon, kids steak
Desserts-kids mousse, maple creme brulee and raspberry sorbet

The cheese plate was not exactly that. It was three slices of cheese, each on some sort of bread and a huge dissapointment after Les Chefs. Again the cheese soup was very salty! The steaks were both good, and the risotto that came with the mushroom filet was very good. The desserts were pretty good, although the DD didn't want the mousse after seeing creme brulee again.

5/5-
Akershus Princess breakfast-
As it has been said many times before around here, this is not the greatest food. So if you're looking for some stellar breakfast, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a princess character breakfast then this will fulfill that need. Your basic sausage, eggs, bacon with some decent potatoes (au gratin style?) and some bad cinnamon rolls. The rolls were waiting for us at our table, along with the fruit, and we had to wonder exactly how long those rolls had been sitting there......

Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki-
I had read about restrictions, etc around here, but found that it was a very easy TS to 'use'. The waitress told us to have one of the appetizers and pick any meal (from the appetizer and entree sections of the menu, go figure) and any dessert. The sushi and add ons that are not included are clearly separated from the apps and entrees on the menu, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

There was a ton of food here too.
Apps-Edamame (kids order adult app), miso soup and salad
Meals-steak/chicken combo, steak/shrimp combo, kids shrimp
Dessert-green tea ice cream x2, and fruit (a big portion of pineapple)

No one could finish their meals and all of the accompaniments that came with it. It was a nice, surprisingly relaxing meal. We sat with another family and enjoyed chatting with them as well.

5/6-
WPuck Express-
Why did we go back here after our first not-so-great encounter? It was 12:30 and Earl of Sandwich was crazy busy. Never a good sign when a restaurant is not busy during lunch hour, right? Well, we were hungry and had to hurry to get back for our departure.

Meals-Chicken bolognese pasta, rosemary chicken with fries
Desserts-creme brulee (don't worry, I see a pattern too) and brownie (we hadn't yet eaten the one from earlier in the week, so we didn't know that it wasn't so great yet)

The pasta lacked any sort of flavor. I had to ask DH if I was getting a cold or something, because I couldn't taste anything. He confirmed that the flavor was missing. The chicken was o.k. and the fries that came with it were pretty good. Creme brulee wasn't too bad either.

As far as snacks go, we used them mostly on water and diet cokes, but learned how to use the rest of them as we were getting ready to leave. We were told of the big changes in the snack part of the plan and saw that many other items (McFlurrys, glazed nuts, fruit smoothies,etc.) were now included. On our way out we grabbed a huge ice cream sandwich from the POFQ bakery ($4.99) as well as a milkshake ($3something) after we were told by the cm that anything that is not an entree could be considered a snack. Maybe I should have been bummed that we had not taken advantage of this sooner, but by this time we were too sugared out to care. I should also tell you that we got some of the steamed pork buns at Herbies as a snack and they were very small! Don't waste a credit on these.

We also learned a valuable lesson at Herbies. Make sure they remember to use your credits instead of charging it back to your room. When I saw they had charged me, I asked them to fix it and we had to wait until they could get a 'senior cm' to do it. So I waited, got a free coke for my troubles and went on my merry way after she 'fixed' it. I should have double checked, but when we were getting ready to check out I realized that this senior cm had not only not credited my account, but had charged me again. So had they not fixed it at POFQ, I would have been charged three credits and $15.50 for two pork buns and a slushie.

So my not so quick review is finally done! Thanks for your patience!

Great report!! I plan on eating at some of those places. I will skip WP's and go to Earl-no matter how long the line(it moves fast I have been told).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter