• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDP seems worth it for us?

OP, I understand that you have thought this out very carefully, and I think that's great. It just feels, to me, like you're spending a lot of effort in order to possibly save $50. I think you mean $50 in all, not $50/day. Yes?

As other posters have pointed out, it's difficult to anticipate exactly what any particular day at WDW might be like for you and your family and you could end up canceling ADRs for any number of reasons and/or rearranging your day's food choices.

My experience at WDW has been that this happens often. And if you've purchased the DDP, then you are basically stuck with whatever you've planned, because you've already paid for it.

Just my point of view. And, disclaimer: I have never purchased the DDP because it would never pay for itself for me, since I'm vegan and also I don't drink alcohol. But I cannot count the number of ADRs I've canceled over the years. Stuff happens--and you have a small child, which means even more stuff might happen.

OP, I understand that you have thought this out very carefully, and I think that's great. It just feels, to me, like you're spending a lot of effort in order to possibly save $50. I think you mean $50 in all, not $50/day. Yes?

As other posters have pointed out, it's difficult to anticipate exactly what any particular day at WDW might be like for you and your family and you could end up canceling ADRs for any number of reasons and/or rearranging your day's food choices.

My experience at WDW has been that this happens often. And if you've purchased the DDP, then you are basically stuck with whatever you've planned, because you've already paid for it.

Just my point of view. And, disclaimer: I have never purchased the DDP because it would never pay for itself for me, since I'm vegan and also I don't drink alcohol. But I cannot count the number of ADRs I've canceled over the years. Stuff happens--and you have a small child, which means even more stuff might happen.
Very much appreciate your perspective! And wow yeah, the dining plan is a very terrible deal for a vegan who doesn't drink alcohol (my sister is a vegan and my mom doesn't drink alcohol, so it didn't make sense for us on our last family trip in 2018 either!)

I think the reason I went through the effort is really because my husband loves all inclusive resorts and hates being reminded of just how jacked up prices are in WDW. But I don't like doing things that make no financial sense, so I wanted to see if buying him more of that "bubble feel" was actually a terrible financial deal and I was surprised to see that it was more of a break even/slight cost savings, without any particular effort to make it that way. If we do it, we might also be more tempted to "splurge" on things like more expensive cocktails, or more expensive menu items, which is kind of nice on vacation. It does seem like the cost is mostly a wash, so I think it's mostly just the bubble feel versus the flexibility. I might make my husband make the call on this since I think it's going to affect him more either way.

Ok still mulling this over and will just note for anyone who sees this thread in the future that taxes actually ARE included in the dining plan! I assumed they were not. That actually does make the math a bit more advantageous for the DDP in my situation, because the prices listed online by Disney for a la carte are exclusive of tax. So that's another 6.5% I guess that I should have added onto my a la carte calculations, which bumps my savings up by another ~ $50.

if you have one and think it's generally valuable in terms of discounts on site
I have an AP. I have no idea if Disney CC is worth it.
It seems so unfair to me that they don't have a "no alcohol" option for people who don't drink for one reason or another!
Not at all. Including adult beverages increases the perceived value of the plan. The cost of the plan wouldn't go down by the menu price of the drinks. More like Disney's actual cost, maybe $2, vs the cost of a milk shake.

But I have to pay the tip on top of the price whether I have the DDP or not so it's not covered in either scenario and therefore doesn't factor into the comparison. Like, I will be adding something like $30 in tips at most TS meals, whether I'm paying a la carte or on the plan.

My math suggests I only have to order alcoholic drinks at about half the meals in my specific scenario to make the math work out in favor of the DDP (which I will happily do on vacation :)), but that is why I'm checking my assumptions are right about all cocktails being included (excluding doubles or ones in specialty containers).
Gotcha! I understand now! And most cocktails are included - drink up! 🤣

Not at all. Including adult beverages increases the perceived value of the plan. The cost of the plan wouldn't go down by the menu price of the drinks. More like Disney's actual cost, maybe $2, vs the cost of a milk shake.
I hear you on this, but I think there are a lot of people who definitively rule out the dining plan because they don't drink and assume those costs are baked in. If it's true that they're making money hand over fist on this dining plan, it's odd to me that they wouldn't have some other (at least slightly cheaper) option to capture those people.

But regardless of the profit to Disney, I'm just saying it's not that family/customer friendly of them to have set up the plan in this way. Like on a cruise, you can tack on a drinks package. Disney could offer a food package and a separate drinks packages, if they wanted to. At the least, it would be nice if they allow people in parties to opt out and pay a la carte (particularly beneficial for those 10 year old Disney adults I would imagine). But I also get that the parks are packed so they don't need to be that worried about customer satisfaction at the moment! Maybe in a couple years after Universal is giving them some stronger competition...

As someone who goes frequently with one or two friends, I find we prefer to snack more throughout the day than have big meals. BUT if I go with family, I know they will want one sit down meal each day for a nice, long break with kids.

As long as you're getting that one alcoholic beverage (or fun drink like milkshake) per day, I think you'd break even if not ahead.

I do miss the old plan as it had more included for the price but I guess that's Disney for ya.
I remember going in 2006 and the TS included an appetizer, meal AND dessert and the plan included tip & taxes.

Hey Pixie, just my input, when we stay longer than just a couple days, we typically would get a DDP. With kids, you really need to get into a TS restaurant to relax and get a good filling meal. One of the best ways of doing that is a buffet. Total cost for me to a buffet is $260 and the DDP cost me $250 a day for my group so that is a win right there. Add a quick service to that plus a snack, big money saved, at least for me. You def can maximize the DDP.

Also, Just like your Hubby, I love the ease of using it and being in the bubble.

I hear you on this, but I think there are a lot of people who definitively rule out the dining plan because they don't drink and assume those costs are baked in. If it's true that they're making money hand over fist on this dining plan, it's odd to me that they wouldn't have some other (at least slightly cheaper) option to capture those people.

But regardless of the profit to Disney, I'm just saying it's not that family/customer friendly of them to have set up the plan in this way. Like on a cruise, you can tack on a drinks package. Disney could offer a food package and a separate drinks packages, if they wanted to. At the least, it would be nice if they allow people in parties to opt out and pay a la carte (particularly beneficial for those 10 year old Disney adults I would imagine). But I also get that the parks are packed so they don't need to be that worried about customer satisfaction at the moment! Maybe in a couple years after Universal is giving them some stronger competition...
There a lot of customers who have issues with the dining plan. Vegetarians don't do well. Guests who want to skip dessert. Guests with stomach sleeved or bypass.

A long time ago the dining plan was a prepaid discount plan.

Even though I said not for us, I was thinking, what if we stayed at one resort for a few days , got the dining plan and then moved to another resort. We'd have the mug for the whole 10 days. So I was looking on the disney site for cost (which I never found) but saw this......

You can redeem your meals and snacks any day during your stay, until the number associated with your package have been depleted. All unused meals and snacks and the ability to use your refillable mug expire at midnight on your package reservation checkout date.

I know meals would end when you checked out of first resort but I thought mug was still good for another week or so.

Does anyone know?

Even though I said not for us, I was thinking, what if we stayed at one resort for a few days , got the dining plan and then moved to another resort. We'd have the mug for the whole 10 days. So I was looking on the disney site for cost (which I never found) but saw this......

You can redeem your meals and snacks any day during your stay, until the number associated with your package have been depleted. All unused meals and snacks and the ability to use your refillable mug expire at midnight on your package reservation checkout date.

I know meals would end when you checked out of first resort but I thought mug was still good for another week or so.

Does anyone know?
There's been recent accounts from others that their refillable mug was eligible after check out. I think someone said they used it for 21 days total, including at Vero Beach (or Hilton Head)? I can't for the life of me remember what thread, but if I come across it, I'll link it.

Edit: found it! https://www.disboards.com/threads/ddp-experiences-2024.3938379/post-65280446

Last edited:
I feel like de DDP might be worth it for us too - we are two adults and a 6 year old. Never been to Disney and this could be just a one time thing for us.

I haven't done the proper math yet but just running numbers quickly we could possible come out ahead - here are some of my thoughts/reasonings:

- My daughter and I love Disney, and we want to get a few character meals in such as O'Hana breakfast, Garden Grill, Tusker and maybe even the Akershus breakfast for the princesses. Maybe one more if we can fit it.
- Hubby loves steak and seafood. Normally he wouldn't order it that often because it gets pricey but since it works out in our favour to order those items on the DDP he's gonna be over the moon.
- Hubby and I would absolutely order an alcoholic drink for dinner regardless of DDP or not.

These are just my initial thoughts; our vacation is not until later this year so still have some time to decide.

My biggest gripe with the dining plan is the make-up of the included TS meal. We love appetizers and rarely order dessert, so we'd have to either pay for an app out of pocket (and then be too full for the dessert we didn't want to start with) or just miss out on what we actually want. We also eat in lounges quite often and while many are now included in the plan you have to use a TS credit for basically an app which is a terrible value. I also don't like that they no longer let you trade in a QS meal for 3 snack credits. That was a especially helpful at the EP festival booths - well when the CM's knew how to ring it up which wasn't a given :cool: . We'd forgo a QS meal there for extra snack credits to use at the booths. But that is no longer an option.

All that being said - it can work for some families - especially if you're using it for a lot of character meals, AYCTE meals, buffets, etc (just make sure they are only one TS credit, not two) and usually order alcohol. OP, it sounds as if you've taken the time and run the numbers which is smart. So many people just blindly add it on. If it works for your family - go for it. Enjoy :).

hear you on this, but I think there are a lot of people who definitively rule out the dining plan because they don't drink and assume those costs are baked in

remember going in 2006 and the TS included an appetizer, meal AND dessert and the plan included tip & taxes.
The first year the DP included appetizer and tips. Guests were complaining "too much food" They wanted to be able to adjust the tip based on service. Disney listened dropped the appetizers and tip then reduced the price by a dollar or two.

Adult drinks are similar. Disney can drop the drinks and lower the price by a couple of dollars.

Ctuise drink packages typically include unlimited drinks. Disney is giving guests one adult drink with meals.

OP it sounds like it is probably a good option for you. My only caution or question would be do you eat out often now with your little one? I know when we went in Dec. with my then 2 1/2 year grand daughter, TS wasn't on radar because she just wouldn't tolerate sitting still for over a hour. She did well in QS and she eats well, she will basically eat just about anything her parents eat but the sitting still for the wait to be seated, the ordering, eating, waiting for the check was just not in the cards. They do take her out to eat at home every once in a while but you have to think about whether she is going to tolerate it every single day.

I think you've done a good job of "doing the math" and on paper, it seems like the DP will be a good deal for your family. The thoughts/concerns I would have are:

1. Are you confident your son will be ok at the character meals? Friends of ours took their 2.5 yo to Disney a year or so ago. They had booked 4 character dining meals over their 7-day stay. On day one (at Crystal Palace), their daughter screamed as soon as the characters got anywhere near her or within her field of vision. They quickly finished their meals (with her clinging to mom like a little monkey) and left. They were hoping it was just an off day as she had not had that type of a reaction to characters at other amusement parks. I don't remember where their meal was the next day but she had the same reaction. Another meal with a crying clinging child. They cancelled the rest of their character dining meals. Fortunately they weren't on the dining plan (but would have been if it had been available -- they always purchased it for their trips). They also found that by day 3, their daughter didn't have the stamina/patience to sit through TS meals period (most likely due to the change in routine and over stimulation in general) so they cancelled all of their TS meals and just did QS because they could eat when they wanted to and where they wanted to but could also choose the length of time for their meals. They could eat and move on if their daughter was not enjoying their time at the restaurant, but if she was content, they could linger as long as they wanted to.

2. We've never purchased the dining plan but we've gotten free QS dining on 2 trips (which is a better savings than the room discount when you have 4 teen/tween children traveling with you. :D). While the convenience was nice, we ended up with extra meals and snacks that we scrambled to use at the end of both trips. And when I added up all of the receipts when we got home, while we saved more money than if we had taken the room/package discount, we would not have saved money if we had purchased the QS plan. Some of that is probably because we go to Disney in June when it's pretty hot and we often "graze" rather than eating 3 meals a day. And often times I either split a meal or get a kids meal for me.

3. While it looks like you could save a little money and have the all-inclusive feel with the DP, how would you and/or your husband feel if (like others have mentioned) something happens and you end up not eating all the meals? It would probably only take a few unused TS meals to lose money on the DP. My husband got sick (migraine headache) and didn't eat for a day and a half one of the times we had free dining. Fortunately that happened on day 2 of a 7-day trip so we had time to try and use those meals during the rest of the week -- though we didn't really succeed as we still had 3 QS meals and 21 snack credits (back in the days when you got 2 snack credits per day) after we were finished eating on our last day. And we buy all of our snacks and drinks in the park! We converted the meals to snacks (no longer allowed) and took home *a lot* of rice krispie treats and bags of pretzels. We clearly don't eat enough to make even the QS plan a good deal for us. :D

4. I love dessert and I enjoy an alcoholic beverage occasionally. But at Disney, I'm tired of alcohol and desserts by about day 3 (again, probably because of the heat in June). Having an alcoholic beverage with lunch just dehydrates me and makes me want to take a nap. :D

All that being said, that was only our (or friends) experience. I know the DP works for a lot of people even if it isn't a money saver. I have a friend who always buys the dining plan even though she knows she's going to lose a chunk of money on it. Her husband ruined their first trip because he complained about the food prices all day every day. Now she just buys the dining plan and is thankful that her husband doesn't ever evaluate whether it was a good deal. She feels it's worth the money lost to save the headache of her husband complaining. I get it. You know your family and can certainly make the best decision for them -- I'm not trying to do that for you. I'm just trying to give you a few thing to think about or evaluate...things we learned when we *didn't* pay out of pocket for the dining plan.

The loss of flexibility is a valuable point to consider for sure! I do not have any dining discounts, but I have actually been weighing the idea of getting a Disney Visa, which I know would give us 10% off at some (but not all) of the TS restaurants we picked (plus that $300 statement credit) Have been leaning towards the idea it's overkill to get a new credit card to save like $50, but I might do it! I know it's a separate topic, but curious if you have one and think it's generally valuable in terms of discounts on site? I was totally ready to do it when I thought it was ALL dining, but seems quite limited. We have lots of Disney years ahead of us, but I'm normally pretty loyal to my Chase card.
We have the disney visa and have used the dining discount many times (it includes Jiko and Narcoosees, two of our favorites). It is very limited though, a handful of restaurants and they generally exclude alcohol from the discounted total. The shopping discount in the parks is a nice perk though! Most of the gift shops throughout the theme parks are included and most purchases over $50 qualify for 10% off. Plus you accumulate points on the remainder.

Also, I run the math similar to how you've described and we usually end up at the same margin as you for "is it worth it." This year our trip is on property and we are staying during the discounted dining rates for kids so it really worked in our favor. Personally, I'm glad the math panned out because I enjoy knowing its all paid for and done in advance.

I just got back from a weeklong trip at the end of January and it was my first time using the DP. We stayed at Polynesian. I didn’t realize you could order an alcohol with all your quick service meals too until nearly halfway thru the trip. At Capt Cooks we would use our refill mugs for soda and got beers or wines with each of our meals (5 in our party and only 2 of us drinking) Neat! :D Also I was delighted that restaurants let us have a soda AND an alcohol with our table service meals “for free” with our TS credit. I thought we would be pairing our TS credit alcohols with free water.

We are adding the dinning plan to half of our split stay. We have annual passes and converted half of the stay to a ticketless package, and the CM on the phone told us we can keep our Annual pass room discount and add the dinning plan for the four nights. We plan on spreading the credits out over 5 days. And sharing at a few TS and QS places to try more places.

We were already planning on going to Ohana and a few other expensive meals during our stay, so it was kind of a no brainer for us. we just moved all the reservations to the one half of our stay.

I added up everything we would order for 2 adults and my calculations came to saving $244. This is with tax included. I know we will have to tip, but we would be tipping anyway. This portion of our trip is also very epcot heavy due to being at a gondala hotel so we plan on using majority of our snacks at festival booths.

Is it more food and alcholic drinks then we would normally pay for out of pocket? Yes, but we are using this opportunity to try new things and more expensive places we wouldn't usually go to. Since we are annual pass holders and go on trips a few times a year we are excited to add this and try things we usually don't on our trips!

My only caution or question would be do you eat out often now with your little one

Are you confident your son will be ok at the character meals?
These are both totally valid concerns! We do eat out with him and he HAS done fine with characters (we're near Sesame Place and did the Sesame Street characters this fall, including their character dining). And he LOVES his stuffs of the characters we are seeing. However, he's also a toddler and they're nothing if not unpredictable! Unfortunately, this is also sort of the gamble we're taking with this entire trip :earboy2: I think we've done everything we can of getting him comfortable with restaurant meals, visiting actual face and costume characters, and watching YouTube videos of all of these meals, which he claims he's excited for, and we've done all the same with the rides and everything but it's all definitely a gamble, so I guess I'm just wrapping this up with the rest of the big gamble we're taking! It won't ruin our trip either way - we're not the types to stick with a plan that's not going well just because we paid for it, but I totally hear the point that we're gambling losing more money on it with the DDP.

While he is not a calm, sit still for hours child, I think the buffets will actually work out much better for us than your average restaurant where we need to wait for food, because that waiting is always the hardest part when he gets antsy, and I personally have anxiety at NOT having a guaranteed table/place to sit and gambling on QS in that way.

In any event, I did make the call last night after discussing with my husband and booked it and then paid everything down, so we're in it now! Happy to report back on the DDP experience thread after our trip early next month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter