Deals, discounts, and coupon codes

Pixie_Dust

DIS Veteran
Costco.com has a Kodak P880 8MP camera with wide angle lens, battery, charger, and 256MB SD card for $450 plus shipping this week.

Is it a good camera? If so, is that a good deal?

Our current camera with all the fancy settings does not take good low light shots, and I rememebr a previous Kodak digital camera we had that was better at that. Also our current one is slow to focus, so I am hoping to "upgrade" to something less irritating!

Cheers
:tink: Pixie

Some DISers love this camera. If you go to this link: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/kodak/p880-review/index.shtml and scroll about 80% down you will see night shot using different ISO. You can see the digital noise even at ISO 100, at ISO 400 the noise is so high it's unuseable.

On the other hand, for that price, what do you expect?

You can, however, get a Canon RebelXT with kit lens for only about US$800 in Canada. It is about $150 more than the P880, but at ISO1600 it's much cleaner than P880's ISO400.

Something to think about.

Thanks, it was a very helpful link! :)

I thought it was cute he used a Mickey as a test subject ::yes::

I don't see how $800 is $150 less than $450, esp. with all the extras in the Costco offer, however, lol :hippie:

P.S. I checked costco.com and there is an additional $50 rebate, so it is actually $400 for all that.

I would skip the Kodak and check out this Panasonic Lumix.

The obligitory DCResouce review.

LEICA f/2.8 all the way through the zoom, AF assist lamp, 12x optical!!! (that's 36-432mm!!), Optical Image Stabilization, 3 frames per second , and you can even run it in full manual if you want. Digital noise is barely present at ISO200. ISO400 (like most consumer cams) is just about worthless.

IMO, this is one of the best non dSLR's currently on the market. And the price is FANTASTIC! Don't be lured in by megapixels you'll probably never use. Infact, you'll probably get better shots out of your 5mp Lumix than a 8mp Kodak.

Digital Photography.com (one of the best review sites out there) likes the Kodak P880. Here is a review for you to read. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/kodakP880/

Here is their conclusion:

"Overall conclusion:
The two cameras in the new EasyShare 'P' range are superficially very similar, yet in many respects they are like chalk and cheese. Where the inherent problems of a soft lens and noisy sensor meant Kodak had to process the P850 images to within an inch of their lives, the P880 has what appears to be a very good lens and a perfectly decent sensor. This is important; the images are cleaner and sharper to start with, so the in-camera processing is much lighter (though still a little too strong at the default setting for our liking), and the end results far superior. I was impressed from the start by the excellent color, good edge-to-edge sharpness and (relatively) low level of artefacts in the P880's JPEG output. If you can live with the very slow raw file writing you can wring even better results out of the lens / sensor combo.

Of course it's not all good news; the P880 feels - to me - a little on the flimsy side (though this is simply because it's made of plastic, and to be fair it seems fairly solid), the focus in low light hunts so much it needs a red jacket and a bugle and the macro mode is over complex and too restrictive.

But overall there is much more to like here than to dislike, especially when you consider the unique zoom range. I'm a big wideangle fan, and having a 24mm wideangle on a zoom after being restricted to 35mm or even longer with most 'big zoom' cameras really lifts the creative shackles.

Kodak has been quite clever with the P880, identifying a niche in the 'prosumer' market that isn't filled by the likes of the Panasonic FZ30, and filling it. Taken as an overall package the P880 offers little to differentiate it from its main competitors, but for those who like to 'shoot wide' it is almost in a class of its own. Looking at the three nearest competitors (the Fuji S9000, Samsung Pro815 and Konica Minolta A200), none has a 24mm equiv. lens (all start at 28mm equiv.) - though all have longer tele ends, and all are considerably pricier. The KM A200 - perhaps the nearest competitor - has a longer zoom range and the undeniable benefit of image stabilization, but the P880 produces sharper results with more appealing color.

In conclusion then, the P880 is well worth consideration if you want a true wide angle zoom built into your camera, and though it's not going to replace a digital SLR (despite the implication in Kodak's publicity materials), and it only just falls short of a highly recommended."

Pixie_Dust said:
I thought it was cute he used a Mickey as a test subject ::yes::

I don't see how $800 is $150 less than $450, esp. with all the extras in the Costco offer, however, lol :hippie:

DOH! I didn't know that, I can only compare based on my pricing knowledge in Canada.

I think that's an excellent deal for a very good camera. I'd go for it if I were in the market!!

The P20 flash would be a great accessory too.

E.

LordAthens said:
I would skip the Kodak and check out this Panasonic Lumix.

The obligitory DCResouce review.

LEICA f/2.8 all the way through the zoom, AF assist lamp, 12x optical!!! (that's 36-432mm!!), Optical Image Stabilization, 3 frames per second , and you can even run it in full manual if you want. Digital noise is barely present at ISO200. ISO400 (like most consumer cams) is just about worthless.

IMO, this is one of the best non dSLR's currently on the market. And the price is FANTASTIC! Don't be lured in by megapixels you'll probably never use. Infact, you'll probably get better shots out of your 5mp Lumix than a 8mp Kodak.

That sounds like a good one!!! DH wanted the costco one because if we don't like it we can return it with no hassle.

Done and Done! Thanks for the heads up. My batteries are getting kind of old. I used to be able to get 300+ photos per charge and now I am only getting 100-120.

In Sunday March 5th's Best Buy ad (p.15) is a 256mb/512mb PNY combo pack for $39.99 after rebates. The price to take it home is $54.99 ($25.00 off, reg. $79.99), plus applicable tax. Best Buy.com is offering free shipping on this item as well so I saved myself the trouble of driving over there to get it. Even without the $15 mail-in rebate it's a great buy and thought I'd pass it on to those who may not have seen the advertisement.

Kelly Grannell said:
I strongly recommend that lens. Anything sharper than that lens would be considered a knife.

Probably wouldn't make it past the airport security screener!

aw come on, it's not THAT slow. Most people use a kit lens or non-L lens that's around f/5.6 sometimes f/6.3 at the 200mm focal length.

Yes, f/2.8, especially with IS would be ideal, but then you'll almost triple the price and double the weight.

Sharp indeed
58413312-L.jpg

Taken from a moving safari vehicle on an overcast day at 200mm. 'very slow'? f4@200 isn't slow. Of course there's faster, but as Kelly said, it sure comes at a high price. I couldn't imagine carying around a 2.8 all day in a theme park.

grim :hmghost:

Slow?? f/4 at 200mm on a zoom lens is quite fast. Thats why the list price is $1300+ (although Ritz has it for $740). Find a 70-200 zoom lens faster than that for less than $600.

I know Nikon has a 2.8 70-200 that is over $1500 and looking at Canon's site, their 2.8 70-200 goes for a minimum of $1100 (used) on ebay.

I think for the average amature photographer, this would be a great deal for a great lens.

Nice pic Grimgrinnin :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter