DEBATE: Did stopping EE have an effect on resort capacity? Inspired by Lesley.

Eeyore2U

I'm the one you talk about. I rain on parades and
I think the effect was minimal. To me it seemed for everyone who used it, there were two who didn't.

Your thoughts?

Disney used to be able to maintain 90% occupancy before they had EE.

On the other hand, now that they seem incapable of the feat, I'm sure lack of EE isn't helping.

The recent article in the Sentinel had a WDW spokesman saying they were back to 90% of a normal year. It wouldn't surprise me that the lack of EE equals most of that missing 10%.

I think it has effected occupancy. Wether or not it has been more cost effective is up for debate. Somehow I can't see that the cost was the High opening the parks for EE then the trade off for resort occupancy.

For us perosnally it took 2 days away from our WDW vaca and we did universal onsite with FOTL instead. Somehow I don't think that was the result they were loioking for.

If you read the budget board there are many who post there that have gone to offsite because the value has decreased for them staying onsite.

My personal feeling is that the Disney Resorts just lost alot of their magic.

It used to be that when you checked into the Disney resort you got alot of extras from early admission, to a free tshirt, to a free pin, plus admission to the park. It was a truly magical experience.

Now you get an average hotel room that besides the Disney soap, when they remeber to leave it, is pretty much the same as a room at any other Hotel.

The other big difference is the comtemporary (to pick on just one hotel, but they are all about the same) is now over $200.00 a night, and at times higher. We tried to add one night onto a Disnyeana Package at the front desk of the hotel and the cost was going to be close to $300.00 for one night and included no park admission. And what do you get extra nothing.

The Hampton Inn just a few blocks from Downtown Disney has a nicer room and it's only about $80.00 a night.

You drive to one of the parks or Downtown Disney and ride the buses, boats, and Monorail just like the people paying $200.00 a night.

So where's the advantage to staying at Disney. When they cut off those few token items I think they lost alot of people who simply said why?

We've taken 20 or so vacations to Disney World since 1975. The first two were offsite. Then somewhere around 1980 we stayed in Fort Wilderness and since then never stayed off property.

We also have never used EE.... I've seen some people on these discussion boards stay off property but reserve a campsite for one night so they can get the "perks" of on-property guests. The draw for us was always in the TRANSPORTATION.

Think about it. Back in '75 and '76 we would leave the parks and wait in the longest lines you could ever imagine to get on the monorail. Back then there was no standing room on those things either. After that wonderful experience, you waited for your tram. Like cows to slaughter we stood there, tired, worn out, hoping beyond all hope that maybe you will make it on the next one. Then you rode around a sea of cars listening for your section to be called. Just awful!

Then we stayed at the campground. In the morning instead of sitting in traffic, we stood along the dock waiting for our boat. To a kid, there's your first ride of the day already! When it was time to leave, we bypassed the masses and sat on benches waiting for our boat.(Those staying at CR and the Poly had shorter waits too for the monorail, back in those days, you had to show your "resort ID" to get on the resorts monorail). Riding the boat on the way home thinking of all those poor people still waiting to get their cars we'd think, "This is wonderful! Why would anyone stay off property? And tomorrow, instead of sitting in some hole in the ground pool, we are going to walk to River Country! You'd have to be a fool to do it any other way!

Now fast forward to 2002. My parents are DVC owners, a major jump up from our old pop-up camper at FW. But AGAIN we are driven like cattle to the busses. There we wait in huge lines choking on fumes hoping beyond all hope that the next bus is the one with your resorts name on it. Reminds me of waiting for that tram. If the line is long enough, you start wondering if you are going to have a meltdown in front of everyone if your family doesn't make it on. Then you are stuffed on a dark bus with a million stinky sweaty people. It made sitting in your own comfy car, waiting in traffic to get out look mighty good.

I had an old WDW brochure or book or something that would boast that "half the fun was getting there" talking about their monorails and other methods of transportation. If you ask me (bet you wish you didn't). EE isn't affecting low occupancy rates, it's the transportation system.

I know that it is impossible to totally eliminate the bussing system. Even in the 80's trips we had to take the bus to the Lake Buena Vista shopping center (now Downtown Disney). If I were the Big Cheese, I would find someone who organized a good public transportation system say for a university or city and have them give the monorail system a major overhaul, maybe even move the TTC to a more central location within WDW. Utilize the peoplemovers in smaller areas (such as around DD with 3 stops and maybe around the MGM-Boardwalk-Epcot area). Make getting around the "World" the pleasureable experience it once was. And I'd do something like give resort guests exclusive use of the fastpass at the parks (I think Universal did this). You know, something to make us feel special like we used to.

But that is my opinion. Yours may differ (but I don't see why :) )

I can tell you it is making me wonder if staying at a WDW resort on our next trip. With EE it was a no brainer, we always used it.

I wonder if the growing DVC membership is starting to affect non-DVC resort occupancy.Remember,most DVC owners are/were dedicated on-site vacationers,many took multiple trips per year. I think our membership total is now between 60-70,000 and growing daily. While PC has been sitting in mothballs, DVD can't build DVC resorts fast enough.

While I never used EE I do believe a small number of resort guests used EE as the deciding factor to stay on-site, but I think DVC membership represents a much higher percentage.

Posters on this thread have mentioned the loose of on-site perks as a reason to stay off-site or at least make the decision to stay on-site more difficult. In May we stayed at Disneys VB resort- which is great- and got the strangest sensation when we were out and about,away from the resort. What was strange was that we were on vacation,but to everybody else out on the roads it was just another work day. When we stay on-site and drive to any of the parks or resorts,it's like we're in a whole city that is on vacation and we think that's COOL. When posters mention the perks that no longer are I just kinda shrug it off because to me they really aren't important. To my family the on-site experience as a whole is more important then the trinkets and carrots.

Without EE, we will seriously think about staying offsite. That extra hour, in our minds, helped justify the difference in the room rate. Frankly, $77 (the cost of a "Motel 6" allstars room) or $225 ("Holiday Inn" poly room) goes a long way in very close by Kissimmee......

I rather doubt the loss of EE has impacted occupancy. And as much as I agree with the transportation post I don't think that impacted occupancy either.

What has? IOA and other alternatives in Orlando. The ability to save huge percentages by saving offsite without being significantly inconvenienced transportation wise (okay maybe I do agree with the transportation post).

DVC has probably had an impact as well. Most DVC'ers were people who stayed on site at least once.

The other thing is that people just plain stayed home. Look at the results of Cedar Point or Six Flags.

Does Disney need a little something extra with their hotel rooms? Yes...they do... Is that something extra EE...I'm not so sure. A plush toy might do just as well.

"Does Disney need a little something extra with their hotel rooms? Yes...they do... Is that something extra EE...I'm not so sure. A plush toy might do just as well."

Or may a couple LOS refillable mugs.

I also believe the crowds are cyclical. Yeah people are staying closer to home-for now. But that will get old and boring and people will decide it's time for another big trip to WDW. Maybe the bean counters realized this when they ended EE and other perks, knowing that with crowds in the down cycle it doesn't matter if EE on or off.

We used EE very little, maybe 10% of the time. As long as they don't continue to loose little touches I will be fine. BUT, the prices going up are starting to get a little bit much. My salary raises ( particularly this year) are not nearly in the percentage that some of they're price hikes are at the resorts. I didn;t mind payin nearly $475 per night for us four adults in a deluxe savannah view room at the AKL. With the animals outside to watch it was unique. But I paid $375 a night at the GF in 1998 and I thought that was to much for what you got. I would pay that for a room at the Epcot resorts due to the proximity of two parks and the atmosphere but next years prices are just looking almost absurd. It will be fine if the offer fairly easily obtainable discounts. We will see what happens when I start booking next years trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter