Debt Dumpers - 2016

I am currently on step three of my plan
Looking for ways to spend less......................Hmmmmm, struggling with this one.
The morning coffee has to stay!

found this through "Google"
  1. Record your daily spending with anything that's handy, whether it's with a pen and paper or an app on your smartphone.
  2. Plan for next month's expenses and income so you don't get taken by surprise. Make sure to check in with your significant other before making the list final.
  3. Look for ways to spend less. Small savings can add up to a lot of money. Adding one small saving at a time to your budget can surprise you with how much extra money you've accumulated. For example, try shopping at a cheaper grocery store, buying generic brands or experimenting with cooking at home.
  4. Find ways to boost your income. Have a hobby or a talent? Anything from handy work to writing or teaching an instrument can be a way to earn extra money. One big bonus about this strategy is that you can make your side business full-time if you ever lose your job.

Ouch! I've never heard of a job having a mandatory contribution amount to retirement. I could see how that would've been overlooked!! As for health insurance - I think that increase has hit everyone. I feel bad for families that have to get the family plans. Sorry to hear that the job you took to get ahead has set you back.

Thank you. At least we don't feel bad about not saving up for retirement =)

I believe we signed up under ifit or ifit studio for the Kmart/sears points. In have not figured it totally out but the site says you earn $5 for every 15 miles but you can only earn $5 a week and they expire every week. Sometimes we have earned $5 and sometimes more up to $10. Seems to be no rhyme or reason! We also each downloaded the shop your way app on our phones so we can see our earnings easily. We have used it to stockpile hygiene, cat food, buy bday cards, Halloween candy for people. It's not much but it really does add up when you aren't spending money on those things

I have to start doing this more, especially for eating out. We've eaten out way too much lately. DH is always the one who wants to order food, and I feel bad saying no all the time because he's the one that does ALL the cooking (we're lucky I don't burn the house down making myself toast), so I feel bad saying he should really just cook something. We really need to get the ball rolling on these frozen crockpot meals and fight the temptation to order Chinese.

This is an awesome Mongolian recipe I found online, so it may be perfect for you as it checks off crock pot & Asian, plus it's super easy! I double the sauce & add veggies:

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/03/pf-changs-mongolian-beef-copycat-recipe.html

Thanks for the info on collection. I am sure things were sent to old addresses. But what do I do if more than one agency is on my credit report for the same bill?

Trying to push that snowball! I listed several items for sale online last night. I'm calling today to renegotiate or cancel the XM radio in DHs car. I'm also canceling the newspaper because I have free access to a copy at work.

I'm so jealous....wish I could cancel the newspaper. But in the long run, the subscription is cheaper than DH having a heart attack without his precious paper. Are you doing your online sale thru Craigslist or something else? I've thought about doing this as well but not sure what site is most effective.

Somehow we have racked up some CC debt. We haven't had that in years.

However, I think it is because I charged some things instead of using our HELOC for home improvements. I would like to try to pay them off without using our HEL, but we will see. I may use the HEL and then pay that off as that interest is much less.

We are planning to move in late Spring/early Summer, so the bill will be paid in full this year, but I am trying not to rack it up too much. We have several projects to complete before we can sell the house.

I can't wait to MOVE! That will get the finances back to no credit needed.

My goal for the next 6 months is to not spend more than necessary and track all spending.

Good Morning DBS (Debt Dumpers)
What a night I had last night ,,very little sleep.

Last night (morning)I realized that I had already cut most of the "fluff" from my budget already,
1. no cable
2. home phone cancelled,just use cell phone.
3. bad habit cut to 1/3 so costs way down on this.
4. got a costco card to buy some things in bulk although I have to be very careful at this store as I always see something unique that I just have to have.
5. stock pile household products when on sale.
6. use electricity at off peak usage costs as much as possible

some of the things that I am thinking about and have to work on are:

--- I am pretty picky about my food but I am thinking of trying a new grocery store.

--maybe not buying family gifts for birthdays

--maybe lowering the amount I spend on sons and grand daughter for Birthdays.

STOP buying gifts for people at work (Christmas). Maybe take a tray of baked goods in to share.

-- check into combining my auto and home Insurance to see if the total cost is better

-- STOP using my bank cards that have no free debits

Put the VISA card in a glass of water and see if it Sinks or Floats.

But the one coffee a day stays.

Have a great day
Hugs Mel

I'm so jealous....wish I could cancel the newspaper. But in the long run, the subscription is cheaper than DH having a heart attack without his precious paper. Are you doing your online sale thru Craigslist or something else? I've thought about doing this as well but not sure what site is most effective.
I need to call about our paper. The price is going up. DH said he wouldn't mind going digital only but I want the Sunday paper for the coupons. So I need to price things out. I have tried to do the same with our cable since we have a lot of streaming services (I've posted about this before) but I've been met with resistance from my family bc dropping down a package doesn't get them the sports channels they want.

Somehow we have racked up some CC debt. We haven't had that in years.

However, I think it is because I charged some things instead of using our HELOC for home improvements. I would like to try to pay them off without using our HEL, but we will see. I may use the HEL and then pay that off as that interest is much less.

We are planning to move in late Spring/early Summer, so the bill will be paid in full this year, but I am trying not to rack it up too much. We have several projects to complete before we can sell the house.

I can't wait to MOVE! That will get the finances back to no credit needed.

My goal for the next 6 months is to not spend more than necessary and track all spending.

If the cc debt you incurred was all home improvement expenses, then move it to your HELOC so you can deduct the interest on your taxes if you itemize.

I need to call about our paper. The price is going up. DH said he wouldn't mind going digital only but I want the Sunday paper for the coupons. So I need to price things out. I have tried to do the same with our cable since we have a lot of streaming services (I've posted about this before) but I've been met with resistance from my family bc dropping down a package doesn't get them the sports channels they want.

Home delivery is definitely expensive when you just end up recycling the paper anyway. Small victory was I canceled gift subscriptions to two magazines my DH had been providing for my cousins husband. Although cousins hubby enjoyed the mags, they make enough to buy if he wants and they are definitely "tight" when it comes to spending their money. Don't get me wrong, love them dearly but after a couple years of this it's time they take over if he wants to renew.

Good Morning DBS (Debt Dumpers)
What a night I had last night ,,very little sleep.

Last night (morning)I realized that I had already cut most of the "fluff" from my budget already,
1. no cable
2. home phone cancelled,just use cell phone.
3. bad habit cut to 1/3 so costs way down on this.
4. got a costco card to buy some things in bulk although I have to be very careful at this store as I always see something unique that I just have to have.
5. stock pile household products when on sale.
6. use electricity at off peak usage costs as much as possible

some of the things that I am thinking about and have to work on are:

--- I am pretty picky about my food but I am thinking of trying a new grocery store.

--maybe not buying family gifts for birthdays

--maybe lowering the amount I spend on sons and grand daughter for Birthdays.

STOP buying gifts for people at work (Christmas). Maybe take a tray of baked goods in to share.

-- check into combining my auto and home Insurance to see if the total cost is better

-- STOP using my bank cards that have no free debits

Put the VISA card in a glass of water and see if it Sinks or Floats.

But the one coffee a day stays.

Have a great day
Hugs Mel

Sounds like you're on the right track. We stopped exchanging birthday gifts long ago and I've just recently stopped doing gifts at the office. I didn't mind the giving so much as I didn't want the staff to feel obligated to get gifts for me. I do a tray of baked goods for the holidays and occasionally cook for the group.

Have you thought about just doing online coupons from coupons.com? I've been thinking about getting the paper since we just moved, but honestly I don't want to spend the money when I can just print them out online. I know there's the added cost of ink and whatnot, so I guess it depends on how many coupons you're using/printing. I'm not an extreme couponer or anything, and probably print about 10-15 coupons every 2 weeks.

I am going to join in on this. I quite a bit that I need to dump. :rolleyes1 I am hoping that 2016 will be my year ( I won't be debt free) but hopefully closer to being debt free! I am excited to see everyone's progress.

Welcome!! Glad that you have joined us! Hopefully this thread will help you out - and if you have time you can check out our past threads for the past 3 years! Don't stress yourself to be debt free by the end of 2016 - just dump as much as you can and be prepared for set backs. We have all had them and come here to vent about them as well! The only advice is to sit down and list all your debt and the interest rates that you pay. This will help get you started. As you may know - some financial gurus say to pay off the highest interest rate first but like you will read in the threads a lot of us started with the smallest balance so we could knock that out and snowball that payment into the next one. Just a little advice!

I belong to a local yard sale group on Facebook and listed a lot there. I also put a few items on eBay.

Count me in, I know I am in debt and have a rough idea of how much but I won't know the totals until I sit down and and put it all down on paper, then I know how to tackle it! I am looking forward to reading more tips on how to accomplish goals and to see how people make progress, I hope to be able to post some success on my debt too!

Have you thought about just doing online coupons from coupons.com? I've been thinking about getting the paper since we just moved, but honestly I don't want to spend the money when I can just print them out online. I know there's the added cost of ink and whatnot, so I guess it depends on how many coupons you're using/printing. I'm not an extreme couponer or anything, and probably print about 10-15 coupons every 2 weeks.
We are Mac people and for some reason online coupons don't always print for us. And a lot of my local stores don't take them anymore, which is a pain.

Regarding the paper for coupons...

As far as I am concerned...I save more by shopping the sales than I do by using coupons. And yes, I know that you can combine the two to save even more but most of the time, I just don't save enough with coupons to justify the cost of paying for the newspaper. And lately, the coupons on offer in my area have been useless to me anyway. For me...it's just not worth it.

I think if you look into it and you are losing money or just breaking even...you may want to consider cancelling your subscription.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter