Debt Dumpers - 2018

I think I may have asked this before, but I just downloaded it and started to input all the info.
Does anyone use the Even app? I'm actually liking it so far, especially the part where I can get up to 50% of my pay in advance. I feel like this is going to help my budgeting a lot, because I can essentially get paid weekly now. Helpful for those odd weeks where we have an extra expense at the beginning of the month, but a lower cost at the end.

Ugh. The raise I've been waiting on for months now, that I thought would go through this last paycheck, is just being submitted. For 1% less than what I was told. And this is all coming about because I was underpaid when I was hired in. Basically our old manager was underpaying everyone in the department to overpay someone who had ~5 years with the company and no schooling, but had an interesting relationship with her. So the new management is trying to correct some of this, but the HR manager wouldn't approve the amount they asked for me because then she would have to advocate for it with corporate, which apparently she has no interest in doing (I've seen other things that indicate this too, where she tries to pass off anything difficult). Process is the raise must be approved locally and then by corporate.

At this point, I'm just counting down the days until my anniversary and my employer match for my 401k becomes vested, which is around $11k. Checking my account every day... start the job hunt... 17 days to go...

Ugh! That is pretty terrible. My DH’s company went through something like this last year. The starting salaries in the company used to be quite low. When they realized it was difficult to hire in quality people at their starting salary, they raised their entry level by 20% BUT they failed to bump up their existing new-ish hires to this rate. Therefore, some people were training newbies that made a good chunk more than them. They rectified it and the newer people who were hired in at the lower starting salary were bumped slightly ahead of the new hires. However, it took several months for them to do this. My DH had been there quite a while already when this all happpend so it didn’t affect him directly, but there were many upset employees when they realized this happened! I hope you find a new job soon!

Thanks. We are not Costco members- we don't have one here. My husband and I have annual passes so we will be good for parking; I have thought about Ubering but my mom is a little old school and would never be able to figure it out and then I will feel responsible for her. There are 21 people total so if my husband and I rent a car we can come and go as we please and my mom can ride with us or someone else depending on what their schedule is.
I just completed an 8 day rental from Hertz at MCO. Using the Amex Platinum code I paid $103 all in for a compact. IMHO the offsite rental companies are not worth it. Stick with Hertz, Alamo, National, Avis etc.
Try auto slash.com for great deals.

Just back from 7 days at the Grand Floridian and 1 night at the Waldorf Astoria Orlando Bonnet Creek. During our stay, we did MNSSHP on the 24th and a sunrise breakfast in Pandora in AK. Needless to say we had a blast.

We have APs and had a vehicle so we hopped a ton. We rode FOP three times, Navi River Journey, Slinky Dog dash, alien saucers, toy story midway mania, met BB8; Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, rode Dinosaur, , RRC, TOT, Expedition Everest, Soarin twice, Test Track, Frozen Ever After, 7DMT, space, big thunder and splash mountains, Haunted mansion three times including during the Halloween party, watched the Boo to you parade and Hallowishes, rode Pirates of the Caribbean, Peter Pan and it’s a small world.

We ate at Chef Arts Homecomin’ three times, the Boathouse, Teppen Edo, Via Napoli, and Narcoossees. We snacked around Epcot and had pretzels and caramel in Germany, ice cream in France and a cronut at Refreshment port. We also got to try some fall/Halloween treats such as a Maleficent ice cream cone with lime ice cream and pumpkin cheesecake.

Budget wise, we didn’t do too bad, all things considered . I took a $600 disney gift card to spend on quick service meals and I have $200 left. I put the table service meals on my discover it for 5x restaurant cashback and spent about $800. All of the meal calculators said I would spend 2k so I call this a win. Other expenses were Uber to and from the airport, gas for the rental car and parking at the WA.

It was hot and humid and rained every day but crowds were much better than June. We have one last trip this year in 70 days-FW festivities and MVMCP. It’s a quick 5 day trip at Port Orleans French Quarter. No car rental this time and only 3 ADRs so not too bad on the budget.

Last edited:
In other news, November will be our last trip until 2020. We are skipping a year so we can save up and do Disney the way we like to do it which is expensive..APs, deluxe stays and lots of TS meals.

I have 2 trips planned for spring and summer breaks next year but none of them involve Disney. Looking forward to Star Wars land when we return.

I just completed an 8 day rental from Hertz at MCO. Using the Amex Platinum code I paid $103 all in for a compact. IMHO the offsite rental companies are not worth it. Stick with Hertz, Alamo, National, Avis etc.
Try auto slash.com for great deals.

Thank you. I will check that site out. The last time I rented a car Priceline still had their name your own price!

We've been going back and forth a million times on doing Orlando (mainly universal) or Vegas for the honeymoon. Last night we sat down and really made a list of what all we wanted to do in each place and estimated costs (not that that part is *super* important in decision making). And we're going to Vegas! And to make this momma happy, we will be doing a big Disney/Universal 2 week trip in the spring of 2020.

Anyone who has been to Vegas, we would like to stay on the strip. Which hotel do you prefer?

We've been going back and forth a million times on doing Orlando (mainly universal) or Vegas for the honeymoon. Last night we sat down and really made a list of what all we wanted to do in each place and estimated costs (not that that part is *super* important in decision making). And we're going to Vegas! And to make this momma happy, we will be doing a big Disney/Universal 2 week trip in the spring of 2020.

Anyone who has been to Vegas, we would like to stay on the strip. Which hotel do you prefer?

I prefer to stay in the middle of the strip. For many years, Planet Hollywood hotel was our home base (we started staying there when it was the Aladdin). I still like that area, and would recommend Paris Las Vegas as a good option for a honeymoon trip. One of my favorite restaurants in the world is there (Mon Ami Gabi).

We love Vegas; MGM is our favorite but I agree with staying someone in the middle if possible; There is a also a game on Facebook (if you have facebook) called MyVegasSlots. It doesn't cost you anything to play and you earn points that you can redeem for free things in Vegas. We have used it for free shows and things before with no issues. If you have time before the honeymoon it is worth starting to play it so you can earn some free things.

We have our third trip to Vegas planned for next April for Spring Break. We went in February and last June. We’ve stayed at Bellagio, Mandalay Bay/Delano and on our most recent last trip the Palazzo/Venetian. The plan is to stay at the Palazzo next year if I can find decent award availability to book on points. I did pay cash for one night stay which I wil go into further down my post.

Palazzo is center strip which is where all the action is. It’s close to Bellagio, Mirage, Caesar’s, Paris, Planet Hollywood, the Linq etc. if you can swing it, I’d stay at one of these places.

The Wynn and Encore are also very nice. Heard good things about Aria as well.

Bottom line, center strip is best. Also avoid Circus Circus and any hotel on the north or south end of the strip. Too far to really enjoy the atmosphere of the strip that makes Vegas so unique.

Last, check Hotwire. I booked one night at the Palazzo for $105 plus resort fee for next April. Look for “5 star hotel, all suites hotel, north strip, fashion show mall area” I’m also seeing Bellagio on there. Look for “center strip, fountains, 5 Star hotel”. Hotwire send coupons sometimes that stack so sign up with them.

We love Vegas as it’s a springboard to so many other awesome places like Sedona, Grand Canyon, the Utah National Parks and even California. Try to venture off the strip if you can and take some side trips.

Last edited:
We love Vegas; MGM is our favorite but I agree with staying someone in the middle if possible; There is a also a game on Facebook (if you have facebook) called MyVegasSlots. It doesn't cost you anything to play and you earn points that you can redeem for free things in Vegas. We have used it for free shows and things before with no issues. If you have time before the honeymoon it is worth starting to play it so you can earn some free things.

I have pop slots that both DF and I play. We're hoping to redeem for BOGO buffets. Lol.
We have our third trip to Vegas planned for next April for Spring Break. We went in February and last June. We’ve stayed at Bellagio, Mandalay Bay/Delano and on our most recent last trip the Palazzo/Venetian. The plan is to stay at the Palazzo next year if I can find decent award availability to book on points. I did pay cash for one night stay which I wil go into further down my post.

Palazzo is center strip which is where all the action is. It’s close to Bellagio, Mirage, Caesar’s, Paris, Planet Hollywood, the Linq etc. if you can swing it, I’d stay at one of these places.

The Wynn and Encore are also very nice. Heard good things about Aria as well.

Bottom line, center strip is best. Also avoid Circus Circus and any hotel on the north or south end of the strip. Too far to really enjoy the atmosphere of the strip that makes Vegas so unique.

Last, check Hotwire. I booked one night at the Palazzo for $105 plus resort fee for next April. Look for “5 star hotel, all suites hotel, north strip, fashion show mall area” I’m also seeing Bellagio on there. Look for “center strip, fountains, 5 Star hotel “

We love Vegas as it’s a springboard to so many other awesome places like Sedona, Grand Canyon, the Utah National Parks and even California. Try to venture off the strip if you can and take some side trips.

Good to know! I have been watching a lot of youtube tours and think I'm torn between Bellagio, Caesar's, and Palazzo. We do plan to rent a car to head over to the Hoover Dam one day and maybe a morning over to Valley of Fire. I know he absolutely wants to go check out Kounts Kustoms(?) And I thought a couple hours at the pinball place would be fun.

We're thinking of doing smaller breakfasts and lunches and doing the giant buffets for dinner. Do you guys have a favorite? I'm planning on dinner being around $130 each night, so I'm not overly concerned with cost, since we will be eating cheap during the day.

I prefer to stay in the middle of the strip. For many years, Planet Hollywood hotel was our home base (we started staying there when it was the Aladdin). I still like that area, and would recommend Paris Las Vegas as a good option for a honeymoon trip. One of my favorite restaurants in the world is there (Mon Ami Gabi).

I'll look that up. DF isn't overly adventurous with food, but if the menu looks good, maybe I can make a reservation for a fancy dinner date. It sounds like a fancy place. Lol.

I have pop slots that both DF and I play. We're hoping to redeem for BOGO buffets. Lol.

Good to know! I have been watching a lot of youtube tours and think I'm torn between Bellagio, Caesar's, and Palazzo. We do plan to rent a car to head over to the Hoover Dam one day and maybe a morning over to Valley of Fire. I know he absolutely wants to go check out Kounts Kustoms(?) And I thought a couple hours at the pinball place would be fun.

We're thinking of doing smaller breakfasts and lunches and doing the giant buffets for dinner. Do you guys have a favorite? I'm planning on dinner being around $130 each night, so I'm not overly concerned with cost, since we will be eating cheap during the day.

The Wicked Spoon at the Cosmopolitan and the Baccanel at Ceasar's Palace are my favorites. They have individually plated items so you aren't just digging into a big pile of food and they are smaller plates so it seems like you cam try more since you are just "trying" it rather than filling your plate.

You MUST go to Carlos Bakery in the Canal Shops at the Venetian and get a lobster tail- not like a fish lobster tail- it's a pastry that's cream filled and will be the best thing you have ever eaten in your life. I might have eaten one every day on our last trip:love:

I'll look that up. DF isn't overly adventurous with food, but if the menu looks good, maybe I can make a reservation for a fancy dinner date. It sounds like a fancy place. Lol.

It's not that fancy, but perfect for a dinner date. Just get the steak frites... you're welcome. ;)

Yes Bacchanal buffet at Ceasers hands down is best. Wicked spoon at the Cosmopolitan is also bomb. I’ve also heard that the buffet at the Wynn and Arias are pretty decent. Check travelzoo and Groupon for deals on Vegas buffets. I see a travelzoo deal for Bacchanal right now.
We didn’t care for Mandalay Bay’s buffet or Paris Le Village buffet.
Also check out Hash house a go go. We first discovered it in Vegas and visited the Orlando location on Monday. Vegas has a strip location at the Linq.
Massive portions, you and DH can share. Try the sage chicken and waffles.

Forgot to say that Cosmopolitan is also a very nice place to stay if you can find a good rate. They used to be condos so the rooms have balconies. You can watch the Bellagio fountains from the rooms.

Another vote for the Wicked Spoon. Oh man, highlight of our time on the Strip!

We stayed at the Tropicana as I had points and we don't mind walking (and parking was free). It was ok but for a special trip, I'd definitely splash out for one of the central places.

Red Rock Canyon was the attraction we liked the most in the area.

Grant money finally was approved! :worship: Was able to get my mom to watch the girls for a couple hours while I went down to the campus book store to get my books. I had $700 available and my books were only $420. I asked what happens to the other $288 and they said if I don't spend it, it just goes back to the government? She said it can be used on anything except clothing and snacks. I'd been eyeballing a new small laptop to take to work with me to do my homework instead of my bigger laptop I have now, but was about $80 short, so I did was any responsible person would: bought the $140 ear buds I've been wanting for a year but could never afford or justify. They're AMAZING. So I call that a double win.

I also got called in for tonight, so I'll have a full 80 hours, possibly an hour or two of overtime, and the bonus on this check. Crossing all my digits that it's enough to get his truck paid off this month.

What about the hotels downtown? Like on freemont or right near that? I was considering the D or Golden Nugget. We might do a split stay and do a few nights there where it's cheaper and then a couple nights on the strip at the end in a more expensive fancier room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter