Debt Dumpers - 2019

She likes to watch Daniel Tiger and Super Why on our phones (we have the PBS app) and play the Disney Jr games. The "phone" she has is for learning games. And the "tablet" I'm looking to get is also for learning games. They aren't actual phones or tablets.

When my kids were younger, "screen time" was a divisive issue among parents (and probably still is, but my kids are adults now). The American Academy of Pediatrics has been active in reviewing the research and proposing recommendations for parents. According to them, children younger than 24 months can't, because of their brain development, learn from a device -- they need human interaction. For children between 2 and 5 years old, the recommendation is to limit screen time to no more than 1 hour per day, and to "co-view" with your child.

There's more here, including a discussion of some of the harms of too much screen time: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/138/5/e20162591

When my kids were younger, "screen time" was a divisive issue among parents (and probably still is, but my kids are adults now). The American Academy of Pediatrics has been active in reviewing the research and proposing recommendations for parents. According to them, children younger than 24 months can't, because of their brain development, learn from a device -- they need human interaction. For children between 2 and 5 years old, the recommendation is to limit screen time to no more than 1 hour per day, and to "co-view" with your child.

There's more here, including a discussion of some of the harms of too much screen time: https://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/138/5/e20162591

I’m against it.

Let them get a job and buy their own phone and tablet. I’d rather them develop their social skills.

Yeah, get that toddler into the factory and tell it to start earning a real wage and filing taxes. No freeloaders in these parts.

Yep.

I’m completely against phones and tablets for kids. It costs a lot, and nothing good comes from giving a kid a phone with a camera.

What she bought her daughter isn't a phone with a bill that needs to be paid. It is a $50 electronic toy. No need to judge.

people have varying opinions on the definition of 'screen time'-i have family whose kids (oldest is about 8) believe 'screen' is tv so their kids have NEVER watched tv in their lives yet they've been raised on laps in front of computers/tablets/phones and played with them since infancy. others who have no problem w/ tv but limit the other items to maximum per day usage.

monthly bill or not, $50 or free-some people don't want their kids on screens.

people have varying opinions on the definition of 'screen time'-i have family whose kids (oldest is about 8) believe 'screen' is tv so their kids have NEVER watched tv in their lives yet they've been raised on laps in front of computers/tablets/phones and played with them since infancy. others who have no problem w/ tv but limit the other items to maximum per day usage.

monthly bill or not, $50 or free-some people don't want their kids on screens.

You’re right, some people don’t want their kids having screens. The person I quoted though seemed concerned about the cost, that’s why I pointed out that it was an electronic toy and not something the OP was paying their cell phone carrier a monthly fee for.

You’re right, some people don’t want their kids having screens. The person I quoted though seemed concerned about the cost, that’s why I pointed out that it was an electronic toy and not something the OP was paying their cell phone carrier a monthly fee for.

How many people on here are paying for their kids cellphones?

On another note, turns out I DO have AMC stubs, I forgot I signed up last year at an AMC. I’ve been going to Regal mostly, and have the Crown Club, I have to utilize this better and accumulate something. Just didn’t go much last year to theaters, the Meg, Jurassic World, and Nutcracker, is all I remember, maybe missing a cartoon or something in there, oh yes Hotel Transylvania!

This year mostly I have Lion King on my must go see list! I remember seeing the original cartoon when it came out when I was stationed in Germany, what 1994, fun memory with the whole theater clapping at the end.

My god. I had no idea asking for opinions on an educational toy was going to cause all hell to break loose.

If you don't want your kid to have screen time, don't let them. It's your kid. But I didn't ask for your opinion on if I should let them play with learning toys, I asked if anyone had a recommendation on one.

This year mostly I have Lion King on my must go see list! I remember seeing the original cartoon when it came out when I was stationed in Germany, what 1994, fun memory with the whole theater clapping at the end.

I'm excited to see this one too! I remember going to see it as my first ever theater movie ( I was 8!). I felt like such a big kid. I remember I cried so hard when Mufasa died.

Leapfrog have a range of products that are learning aids. My 13yo son had one when he was 2 so they have been around awhile.
It reads stories, spelling & maths games.

I

Attachments

• GUEST_0a19d627-e7b2-4fea-b53f-68282beed04a.jpeg
    GUEST_0a19d627-e7b2-4fea-b53f-68282beed04a.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2
I'm excited to see this one too! I remember going to see it as my first ever theater movie ( I was 8!). I felt like such a big kid. I remember I cried so hard when Mufasa died.
I'm so sure this was my first movie in theaters and that I went twice, once with cousins and once with a family friend and their kids... but I'm looking at the release date and I would have been just shy of 4. Did I really see a movie at 3 years old twice without my parents? :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter