December 18th to January 3rd...best day to go to DL and CA? Hotel recommendations?

Lisa loves Pooh

DIS Veteran
We will be based in Las Cruces for that duration--but plan on driving to CA to visit family and would like to stop at DL & CA.

What would be the best days to go?

Our more realistic dates of possibly being in California are Dec 20th to January 1st (allowing for flight dates and driving time).

Any hotel recommendations--inexpensive Disney ones and local good, but inexpensive ones. For the local--inexpensive would be $100 or less....while for Disney...just want to know what the cost would be around that time.

We will have DD5 and DD3 with us.

Thanks!

The Desert Inn and Suites are close and cheap. My cousin stays there every year with DH and 3 little ones. We were there last December 17-22, with DS 3 weeks, DS 2, DS 8, and DD 9 and it was insane. It was very crowded as this is peak time when the kids are out of school. The lines were very long. :confused3

Lisa loves Pooh said:
We will be based in Las Cruces for that duration--but plan on driving to CA to visit family and would like to stop at DL & CA.

What would be the best days to go?

Our more realistic dates of possibly being in California are Dec 20th to January 1st (allowing for flight dates and driving time).

Any hotel recommendations--inexpensive Disney ones and local good, but inexpensive ones. For the local--inexpensive would be $100 or less....while for Disney...just want to know what the cost would be around that time.

We will have DD5 and DD3 with us.

Thanks!

Go to getawaytoday.com and check out their prices. You can get tickets if you need them, but you don't have to buy the package. You can get just the hotel if that's all you need.

They do have fast passes on the large rides - it will help you out a lot!!! It will be crazy there - always is during X-Mas break. The sooner you can go during your dates, the better. The closer to New Years - the crazier the park gets.
The hotels will also be at their peak prices - so go expecting this as well. If you're looking for inexpensive - we've stayed at the Super 8 on Disneyland DR. It was VERY inexpensive, clean, they had doughnuts for breakfast, and the ART Shuttle stops right outside it's doors. It is walkable - but it was a long walk! It's bare bones, somewhere to sleep - but hey - we were never there! On the more expensive side - I always sing the praises of the Candy Cane Inn! Wonderful!
We've also stayed at the Paradise Pier - on-site - but at that time of the year you'll be paying a mint for it!
The other hotel recommended continuously is the Howard Johnson. We haven't stayed there yet - but it always seems to get good reviews.
Have Fun!

Surprisingly--I found a package on the DL site for only $100 or $200 more then some of the other "off property" options.....it was the 800s when DLH and GC were in the 1000s.

The Candy Cane Inn intrigues me--but it sounds so.....dive-ish.......but you say it is nice?

I stayed at the Candy Cane Inn about a month ago and I highly recommend it. I had a spacious room w/2 queen beds, breakfast is included (cereal, fruit, yogurt, breads, etc), a shuttle every 1/2 hr., but it's only about a 10 min. walk. I'd usually walk to the park in the morning and take the shuttle back (after a long day). There's a pool, which I didn't even go to, and free wireless internet in the lobby, dining room and pool area. Go to their website or call their toll-free #. I got my room for about $95+ tax.

Stayed at the Candy Cane Inn in March; Howard Johnson last month. Liked the Candy Cane Inn better (rooms seemed a bit nicer). Distance to the park entrance about the same either way. I believe the CCI is usually cheaper than HoJo and includes continental breakfast.

Wanted to ask you about the wireless. Could you get a signal from your room? Do you think if I had a room close to the pool I could pick up the signal?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter