December vs. March/April vs. June

justme0729

DIS Veteran
How are these times of year different from one another? Temperature wise, I know they are similar but one thing that I noticed was that in the winter, the waves on the north shore are huge. Are there still beaches in Oahu during winter that have calm, clear water? Lanikai beach looks nice... Does Lanikai still have calm and clear waters in the winter?

What other differences for touring should I think about? Does December have more big waves and rain than March/ April even though they are still both during the "wet" season?

South facing shores are your best bet in december, east and weat can get hit with wraparound 10-15+ waves when the north shore gets slammed.

December you might also see some whales (the laternin december the better the chances)

Rain is difficult to predict which month will have more, but december (barring freak storms causing massive swells) will have much bigger waves than march/april.

Lanikai not being calm/clear isn’t the biggest problem...parking is. Generally the lagoons at ko’olina are always calm. Other than the north shore most beachea are relativly calm in december...just depends on what you plan on doing. If you just want to sit/lie down, most of the beaches not on the north shore are fine...but wraparound can make the east or west facing ones dangerous from time to time (for swimming). Lately january has had much bigger waves than december tho.

You'd potentially see whales in March/April as well, as that's the end of the whale season. June is likely to be the most crowded with tourists due to school breaks, etc. It tends to be a busier time to travel there.

We went in September and thought the waves in Maui and Kauai were huge. Not sure if its typical that time of year for those islands, a fluke thing, or if the waves are always just high. Didn't notice it as much in Oahu,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter