• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Denise's New Focus on Fitness-Friends and Support Welcome!

DisDee

DIS Veteran
I've been journaling here on the WISH boards for the past few years and decided that I need to start fresh for 2010. I'll give you a quick update of my health conditions cause you can also visit my old journal thru the link at the bottom of the page.

In Dec. 2007 I had a partial hysterectomy at which time it was discoverd that I had endometrial cancer. In early 2008 I went thru 5 weeks of external beam radiation therapy, and 3 sessions of internal brachytherapy. I tolerated the treatment well except for some gastro-intestinal side effects which are common with pelvic radiation.

I had numerous follow-ups with my 2 oncologists along with lab work and imaging. I had a CT scan early in Sept. 2009 when an ovarian cyst was discovered. After an additional ultrasound and MRI my doctor decided that I should have surgery to have my ovaries removed. The surgery was performed on Oct. 19 and a week later at my follow-up I found out that the original cancer had spread both into my left ovary and abdomen. After a second and third opinion, I was scheduled to start chemotherapy on Nov. 30. I just had my 3rd treatment yesterday and I seem to be tolerating all of this fairly well. I'm experiencing some of the expected side-effects, most of which are controlled with meds. I am so thankful that I'm getting thru this as well as I am!

I'm really Wishing for a better 2010, mostly health-wise but also personally and spiritually. Over the past few years, I've met some wonderful friends here on the Disboards who supported me thru my first round of cancer, my job loss, and now this recurrence. I couldn't ask for a better support group and you ladies know who you are!

I hope to welcome some new friends here also and appreciate any support and encouragement that you can give me. In turn, I'll do my best to do the same for you!

Welcome back, Dee! Praying that 2010 is better for you. Glad chemo is going as ok as chemo can. I can't believe that your first bout was in 2007. Seems like yesterday. How is that precious grandson?

Hang in there. We're always here for you. :hug::grouphug:

Julie, you are one quick poster. I barely had my post done, and there you were! You truly are a magical friend! Thank you!

Baby Scott is doing well except for fighting his first cold. He'll also be taking his first plane trip on Friday. DD and DSIL are going to Houston for Sean's brother's wedding. We were going to keep Scott here while they went away, but then the kids decided to take him along so he could meet his great-grandmother who lives in Arizona and some other out-of-state family members who will also be at the wedding. Lauren has most of the details covered for traveling with a new baby. She already traveled on Christmas Eve-just her and Scott on Amtrak from Harrisburg, Pa to NYC and then up to Westchester County to visit with Sean's family. She's a lot more adventurous than I ever was!

Have yourself a great day, and I'll pop over to your journal real soon!

A new journal for a new year...Great idea, Denise!:thumbsup2

Sending lots of prayers your way. :hug: I'm glad that the side effects from the chemo have been minimal for you this time.

Sorry to hear that baby Scott has his first cold. :( Sending some get well :wizard::wizard: his way. I hope he's feeling better so he can enjoy his first flight. :goodvibes

Have a great evening!:hug:

Denise, I love it that you have a new journal! This is going to be a better year for you my friend.:hug:

I am so happy you are tolerating all the chemo and side affects so well, you have a great attitude about this whole thing.

I am betting Baby Scott will be the hit of the wedding!

So glad to be in on this journal from day one!:goodvibes

Thanks for visiting ladies!

Amy, You're right...Scott will be a big attraction at the wedding! I hope he doesn't steal all the attention away from the bride. LOL! Lauren will have plenty members of the family to help her out so it should be a good time all around. The reception is being held at Union Station at Minute Maid Park where the Astros play. I had hoped we could attend but with my health issues right now we just couldn't work it out.

Tracy, Thanks for the Pixie Dust for Scott. The cold is improving but he's still not back to normal. Lauren took him to the doc who determined it is just a common cold and has to run the course, but he gave them suggestions for making Scott more comfortable.

Yesterday was a good day for me. I pulled out my WW info just to use as a guideline for healthy eating. I feel that's the key for me right now...health not weight. I plan to do what I can do eat the healthy stuff like protein, fruits and veggies. I'm using the points system as a guideline but certainly will not obsess if I don't stay in range.

On that note when I sorted my program material, I came up with some dups of the Turn Around program including some Food Trackers and an Eating Out Guide. If anyone would like them, just PM me and I'll pop them in the mail.

Today's plans include the usual puttering around the house and a trip to CVS. (I love that store) I have a couple of rain-checks that need to be picked up and a few other things also. Hopefully I'll find some bargains.

I'm also going to do the Leslie Sansone beginner walking work-out. I'm curious to see how much stamina I have cause my energy level is pretty low right now. Wish me luck!!!!

I ordered a couple of new hats from the ACS, TLC site and they arrived yesterday. I had a fashion show last night. I got a denim hat with a rim and another beret-this one is cotton. I figured they would be good for my trip cause sometimes the wig gets on my nerves. I also got a bathing cap to use at the gym pool-look out Ester Williams! Last but not least I got a really pretty teal batik scarf. I'm going to have to practice tying that!

I enrolled in a program at a local hospital which helps cancer patients cope with all that is going on in their lives. It starts next Tues. and features guest speakers each week to who do a presentation on different aspects of dealing with the the disease. The support group thing is not for me so I think this will be a good alternative. I also signed up for a free Reiki massage session at the same hospital. You can't beat free!

Have a super day everyone-I plan to!

Denise, I am so glad you got some hats and a scarf you like! I know my mom had a love hate relationship with her wig and it was nice to have more than one look to put on her head!

That is wonderful you are going to this program at the hospital. I think its great they offer that, many of us aren't comfortable with a support group but still need the outlet and information of another format. I am betting you will really enjoy that and learn a lot. And with your new hats and scarf, you'll be the best dressed one there.

Are you still working? I havne't heard you mention that and I wondered if you had a taken a leave of abscence or if you had quit. Or maybe I just missed that in your journal which would be just like me!

That's great that you have signed up for the program at the hospital. It sounds like a great resource. :thumbsup2 I bet you'll enjoy that massage too!:cloud9:

Hope you have a nice weekend!:hug:

I'm so glad a new week is here!

Starting with Wed. afternoon of last week I had a tough time dealing with my side-effects. Nothing out of the ordinary or unexpected, just unwelcome. The thing that bothered me the most was the fatigue which was very limiting to me this time around. But its a new week and hopefully I'll feel a little more energetic with each day.

Amy-I am on a medical leave from work. I've been communicating with them every few weeks or so just to keep them informed of what's going on. Every one has been kind and caring and in some ways I wish I had that normal everyday routine right now, but I just don't have the energy for it. Here at home if I just want to sit and rest I can do that but I wouldn't be able to if working.

We firmed up some plans with my bro and SIL who live in Florida. They will be able to visit with us while we're there. My bro made ressies at Jiko for dinner on sat. night. They've eaten there a couple of times and loved it, but this will be our first time, so that's exciting for me.

My big fear is getting around the airport, but I've decided that I have to get wheelchair assistance, so hopefully everything will work out. I haven't seen my brother for almost 2 years, so this trip is important to me just for that reason, especially with my health issues.

I lost a few pounds last week by eating more healthily. I cut back on all those empty calories and concentrated on getting my protein in. Hopefully I'll be able to eat smart this week too!

Have a great week ladies!!!!

Sending a gentle :hug: your way. I hope you're feeling better soon.

I'm so glad that you'll be able to see your brother and SIL while you're in Florida.:goodvibes I bet you'll have a great time at Jiko!

I hope you have a wonderful week ahead!:hug:

Hi ladies!

I'm back from Florida and currently visiting my DD and family for a few days.

Our trip to WDW was fun but at the same time a bit strange since I spent most of my time in the wheelchair. Thankfully we were able to get one at Port Orleans and they also allowed us to take it to DTD so it made manuevering around much easier. I'm ok for short distances but longer walks are jsut impossible right now.

We hung out at the resort on Friday sitting by and in the pool, took a nice walk over to French Quarter and went for dinner at Bone Fish Grill (which I loved). On Sat. we met up with my brother then went to the Leu Gardens in Orlando which was a nice side trip. Unfortunately they had some of their flowers and foilage killed by the cold weather. I'd like to back when everything is in full bloom. We went to lunch at the Ale House (also great pub food and very reasonable) hung by the pool in the afternoon then went to Jiko for dinner. We had a really nice, leisurely meal which was a special treat. I don't know that I would make Jiko a regular dining stop because of the expense, but it certainly was a treat for this visit. I was impressed that they didn't ruch us at all!

On Sunday we hit the hot tub and pool in the morning, ate breakfast and hung out at the resort until check-out. After that we headed over to DTD to shop and have lunch. We ate at Paradisio 37 (wasn't impressed-bad service) then back to the resort and did more leisure time at the pool, ate dinner and headed to the airport. I'm really thankful that we could get away for a few days to the Florida sunshine and palm trees etc. It felt great to get out of the cold!

Breakfast time-be back later!

I'm glad you had a nice time in Florida, Denise! :goodvibes I've heard a lot of good things about the Ale House. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :goodvibes

How was the weather when you were there?

I hope you have a nice weekend!:hug:

Denise, I am so glad you had fun in Florida! My brother was down there at the same time and noticed all these signs in the parks around the bedding plants that said Jack Frost had been there! I am betting those gardens will be better next time you go back.

Sounds like the perfect trip! I am so glad POR had a wheelchair for you to use. And I am glad you got to spend time with your brother and are now at your dd's and probably spoiling little Scott to pieces!

Jiko is my next stop for a really special meal at WDW. But with those prices, it may be awhile!

Welcome home (hey, dd's house is home too right?) and so glad you had fun!:goodvibes:hug:

Tracy, the weather at WDW was in the mid-upper 70's during the day. We couldn't have asked for nicer weather for Jan. It was a little drizzly when we landed but the sun was out by noon. We heard that a cold front was coming thru on Monday, so we really did have 3 perfect days.

We have no other vacations on the horizon. I'm thinking about a cruise when the chemo is done and I have a few months to get stronger. I'd love to go on the Oasis of the Seas but the prices are very high right now, so a more reasonably priced Royal Caribbean ship will probably be our best bet. It will give me something to plan and look forward to.

I need to get my head together and make a healthy shopping list. My next treatment is on Tues. so I want to be prepared. Comforting myself with junk food just isn't smart. I need to eat wisely for strength and good health.

Gary and I went to a Norman Rockwell exhibit at a local mall yesterday. It's a traveling show that is making its way around the country. It was done very well with the covers reproduced in life-sized exhibits, and there were also 300 Saturday Evening Post covers on display. We really enjoyed it and was well worth the $5.00 admission. We visited his home in Mass. a couple of years ago which was very interesting.

Today's plans will be leisurely although I'm not sure what we'll be doing. Have a nice Sunday everyone!

I'm glad you had a good time in FL and are getting to visit that little one!

Sounds like you are coping pretty well. ONE day at a time! You are strong and will make it thru this.

Have a great Sunday! I'll be praying your next treatment goes well.

Ahhhh....The Florida weather sounds lovely!:cloud9: I'm glad that you had a nice time on your vacation. :goodvibes

Sending prayers your way for tomorrow's treatment. :hug:

I hope you have a great day today!:hug:

Denise, I am a huge Norman Rockwell lover, that exhibit sounds wonderful!

I think planning a cruise sounds like a great idea. I am betting the rates on that new ship will drop over time, so its probably a good idea to go ahead and book on another ship. Having something to look forward to and plan is good medicine for the body and mind!

I will be thinking about you tomorrow. You are getting those treatments knocked off one by one!

Good job getting a healthy shopping list and shopping done!

Let us know how tomorrow goes.:goodvibes:hug::hug:

The treatment was ok this time but it seemed like we were there forever. They had to use the clot buster for the port again so that takes about an extra 1/2 hour while they fiddle with that, then the nurse had the drip on the wrong speed which was very slow.She didn't discover the error until the 2nd drug was almost 2/3 done. Oh well, lucky I'm a patient patient.

So far, so good with the side-effects but I expect they'll kick in later today. I've been doing my preventive measures so hopefully that will work!

I plan to go to the pool this afternoon after the old ladies leave. I love having it almost to myself-its very therapeutic. I will do some PT exercises and also walk and do a little paddling just so I can back into the swing of things. I really hope this builds up my strength a little cause I'm so wimpy right now. Wish me luck!!!!

I also plan to start filling the bags for the Ronald Mc. D. House today. Its amazing how much stuff we've gathered already. I'm really excited about doing this and hope to make it an ongoing project.

We're getting another snow storm again. It looks like it will start late tomorrow and snow most of the day on Sat. Looks like we'll need to do a grocery run tonight.DH has been so good about picking up things that we need after work, so I guess I need to start a list.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Hi Denise,

Sending lots of good thoughts and prayers your way. I hope the side effects are minimal for you. :hug:

That is a wonderful thing that you are doing for the Ronald Mc Donald house. :goodvibes

We're supposed to get some snow here too, but the forecasters don't know how much. I guess if the storm takes a slightly more northern trek, we could be in for a lot! :( Where o where is spring?!?!?:flower3:

Hope you have a great day today!:hug:

Denise, I remember from my mom's port how that clot thing can just add to the hours you spend there. I was thinking about you on Tuesday and am so glad that so far, side affects are not a problem. Good job getting to the pool, I love my rec center pool when its not crowded. I find water so relaxing anyway and when its not full of other people, so much the better!

I talked with Dan's aunt (who lives outside of DC) and I guess the storm you are getting is the same one she is. I hope you can just relax inside where its warm and enjoy not being outside this weekend!:hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter