Deployment questions

Annie68

DIS Veteran
Hello to everyone :wave2:, I was happy to find a military support group on the DIS!

My DH has been in the National Guard since '87. He was deployed for 90 days during Desert Storm, 2/91-5/91, but nothing since. He is employed as a fulltime Firefighter/Medic outside the Guard.

DH found out on Monday that one of the units slated to go to Iraq needs another Medic, and was told that he is on the list to go. They said "for up to 18 months". What a rush of emotions we are feeling! I am trying to remember everything that happened with the first deployment, but after 15 years my memory is slipping. I was hoping to get some advice from you all.....how long does it usually take from being told you are going, to actually getting your orders? Should I call our creditors (mortgage, car loans, etc.) in regards to the discounted interest when he is gone...or is there paperwork DH will get for us to mail to them? DH says that I can turn in his car early (it's a lease) and just keep my vehicle? Will they give him a good packing list, or is there someplace to find a "must have" list for Iraq?

Things are really up in the air at this point, as DH is slated to get an Officer promotion this month. He turns 40 in May, which is the cutoff, so I hope that this doesn't cause any issues. He was at 1% over acceptable body fat last drill, so he has to retape in this weekend to qualify to go before the board. Everything is all set, his paperwork is all ready to go, he just has to make tape. He's worked his tush off this past month to lose weight (looks like he did), but it has us nervous as all get out. Keep us in your thoughts/prayers!

Hi there! My DH has been in the Air National Guard for 17 years, with 5 years active prior to that. In March 03 he was activated for the first time since we have been married. Once you get his orders (I can't remember the length of time between knowing he was being activated and the orders coming in) you can call all the credit cards, loans, mortgages, and car loans that have his name on them. Under SSCRA the interest rates will drop to 6%. You will be eligible for TriCare health. DH's job (He is a Full Timer for the ANG as well) covered our health insurance, so we kept that, but we used Tricare for our prescriptions, they were much cheaper that way.
Your DH should get a complete packing list. You should be able to get out of the lease with no problems (check out military.com for other things you need to know). You are also eligible for discounts on cell phones, if you check out Tiggerlover's military discounts thread there is more info on that.
Good luck to your DH, on both the retaping (what a pain that program is!) and the boards. God bless you all while you go through this anxious time!
Feel free to ask any other questions, someone here most likely will have an answer.

Be sure to get your active duty dependent ID. You will need it for TriCare and accessing the PX, etc. Also be sure to get a Power of Attorney from the JAG officer. It will be provided at no cost. Set up a means of communication, google talk, etc.

Ann,
Just keep asking questions ..... we are here to help if you need it.

Hi Ann-

I was just in your shoes! Even down to the taping issue with DH (so he could get a promotion!). Your DH should get a blank form that you can fill out with the specific creditor info to mail off to each creditor. Definitely get your power of attorney in order and all the tricare stuff in order (and the active duty dependent ID card, as mentioned). The Army will give him a good packing list....depending where he will be, he may have access to a lot of stuff (My DH was on a base called Anaconda and they even had Burger King, Pizza Hut, a movie theater and mini PXs there, so he would sometimes request specific things like Triscuits or Pringles, but it's not like they can't get lip balm or socks). I would turn your DH's car in so you don't have to hassle with it- I sold my DH's car (he was also gone for 18 months) and used the money to pay off some bills. By the time he came home we were in good enough financial shape to buy a new one. Your DH may want something like a laptop or portable DVD player to watch movies on- there can be plenty of boring downtime. I sent my DH a box full of magazines every 2-3 weeks---we subscibed to like 15 different magazines to keep him busy!

Please post or PM me with any other questions, concerns, vents, etc! :grouphug:

Alice28 .... when was your DH at Annaconda?? Mine was at O'rion .... about 6 miles away. They had to go up to Aanaconda for hot chow.

Annie68 .... laptop. Look into a decent laptop.

Thank you to everyone for your responses :). I didn't realize there was a active duty ID card for Dependents? I just got a new ID card a couple of weeks ago, but I will be sure to have him take the kids & I in for updated ones once he gets his orders. We don't know yet if his work is going to let us continue our health coverage, hopefully they will. How does Tricare work? I love our Dr.'s, I'd hate to have to switch :guilty:. My 10yo DS is going to need braces, the Ortho Dr. was talking about starting with the retainer/expander soon. I am afraid to use the Delta Dental we have with DH's employeer, in case they decide not to continue our health coverage while he's away.

I just wish Sunday AM would get here, so we know whether or not he passes tape. If he does, then he wouldn't be classified as a Medic anymore. I wonder if the other unit he's supposed to go with would then pick someone else? All questions he can get answered after tape, it's just driving us crazy in the meantime! :rolleyes:

Thank you again for all the responses, you guys are wonderful!

Once your DH is activated for more than (I think) 90 days, you will be eligible for Tricare dental. I love it, it pays way more than our primary dental insurance did. It will also pay a chunk of my DD's braces when the time comes.

Tracer, where are you located? I grew up in the Mid Hudson Valley and DH is at the base there. We live about 45 minutes away now.

Good luck and ask away!

Tricare .... EEEKKKKK ... .actually it isn't bad. Find out if your Doctor is participating. I know here we had a hard time trying to find one.
Dental isn't bad.

tracers said:
Alice28 .... when was your DH at Annaconda?? Mine was at O'rion .... about 6 miles away. They had to go up to Aanaconda for hot chow.

Annie68 .... laptop. Look into a decent laptop.
He was there pretty much all of 2005. :teeth:

I haven't had any problems with Tricare at all. And I even had to have minor surgery a few weeks ago- it was all paid in full, no problems finding a good doctor, etc. One doctor even commented that it was 'really good' insurance!

The dental- well, I found dentist's who took it, but it was really quite a bit of money to get my son's 2 cavities filled. Over $100. I was used to paying nothing!

Alice28 said:
He was there pretty much all of 2005. :teeth:

I haven't had any problems with Tricare at all. And I even had to have minor surgery a few weeks ago- it was all paid in full, no problems finding a good doctor, etc. One doctor even commented that it was 'really good' insurance!

The dental- well, I found dentist's who took it, but it was really quite a bit of money to get my son's 2 cavities filled. Over $100. I was used to paying nothing!

Wow! My dentist took it with no problem (I am talking about United Concordia here, I don't know if that is different than Tricare dental or if it is the same thing. We pay 66$ per month for our family) and we have all had cleanings, DH and I had fillings and the kids both had their teeth sealed. Oh, and Xrays too.

You've gotten some great advice so far, just wanted to let you know that there's lots of us here who are either going through deployments now or who have just gone through them. I'm sure everyone here will be glad to lend an ear when you need it.

I also wanted to add that there are some great forums specifically for wives or deployed servicemen on military.com
I found them only a few weeks before my husband came home and really wish I had found them sooner!

You and your husband will be in my thoughts...

Jynohn

Ok.... don't shoot me. Yes I have to mention FRG.

Ann, make sure you get a telephone number for the point of contact for your FRG. Or at least the Rear OIC name and number.

Hey Ann

Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone. I was going through this same thing as you are, last February. It's so awful. My partner's deployment date changed three or four times in the last couple months before she left. Serious stress and anxiety!

As far as the interest rate on CC and car loans, I had to provide a copy of her orders to the creditors in order to get the reduced interest rate. Absolutely get a Power of Attorney. I needed to use one often to deal with her things.

We have Cingular cell phone service and she was able to call me from the desert several times. Of course, our phone bill was enourmous, but even a 2 minute phone call is wonderful. A laptop that can play DVD's would be great too. We have Tivo and I Tivo'ed her shows, downloaded them to DVD and sent them to her. She may have been a month behind on her favorite shows, but she and other people she shared the DVD's with, really appreciated them.

The good news, at least for us, is that she got to come home early due to getting kidney stones. So, we're celebrating by going to WDW!

Hang in there. It's going to be hard, but you are not alone!

ID's are a must for insurance

we keep in contact through IM on yahoo and he sends pics through email as do we

my exhusband is there now and it is important that we keep close ties for my daughters

get lots of church/family/friend support going...

and get as many perks as you can while your dh is serving...

everyone is proud of him!! :thumbsup2

Thank you for all the great suggestions! The military.com site is wonderful. :cool1:

I am trying to figure out what his pay will be....do they receive BAH if they are deployed to Iraq? I remember the family separation pay & the Hazardous duty from last time. Also, the income they receive in a combat zone isn't taxable until over $6,000+?

Ann,
If you go to military.com there should be a pay scale there or you can try mypay. If I can find the scale I will post the link.

I think all monthly officer base pay over around $6500 is taxable. We were taxed on some of DH's base pay. But still a great benefit!

Yes, we got BAH for our area and it covered our mortgage. :)
He got combat duty pay, hazardous duty pay, and separation pay. I think I have this right. He has been back 7 months so it is foggy!

DH had an issued laptop, cell phone, and land phone. We were fortunate with communications. Major camps have internet cafe's. We had a webcam we used daily.

DH's civilian employer kept us on their health care plan so we used Tricare as supplemental and did not have to change Dr's. The dental was better than what we had with his civilian job. You can look both of these up online!

DH was pulled from his reserve unit and sent from another unit, solo. So I really had to learn the ropes on my own. Good luck! Let us know how it is going!

BAH TYPE 2, you should get as soon as DH is activated. BAH type 1 is standard BAH that he should get after he gets movilized.
Hazzardus duty pay & Family seperation pay kicks in 30 days after he is in country.
Hositle fire pay depends on where he is and what his MOS is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter