Describe your WORST travel companion.

2Xited4Disney

DIS Veteran
In Sept of 08 my fiance and I brought our friend and her boyfriend to Disney for a week, we stayed at the Value Suites which worked out nicely. However each day the boyfriend only cared about getting fastpasses over and over again,he demanded Disney upgrade him to Park Hopper because Rock N Roller coaster went down, he constantly mentioned how Universal was more fun, and refused to move before 11am. I never saw him smile, besides the night we spent at Adventurer's Club. He knows that I am a big fan so whenever he was bored he would look up facts on his blackberry and test my disney knowledge which was fun for about 5 minutes but aggravating VERY fast. I vowed half way through the week to NEVER travel to Disney with anyone besides my fiance again. Last summer she and her friends made plans to run the Princess Half Marathon in March, guess who weasled their way in again. Luckily they are staying at POFQ so we won't be with them 24/7, but the only thing he really enjoyed closed two years ago....

Make me feel better and share your horror stories.

My sister. She stops at every gift shop along the way to look at the same stuff she saw at the last one. She also hates using FP and whines about it (because she doesn't understand how it works).

We're going with her this fall...joy.

We took a family aquantance with us last Dec he is 27yrs old and had the manners of a 3yr old. I was horrified. Blew his nose in the cloth nampkin at the table!!! took off his sandals then sat crossleged for dinner at Ohana...... cried because he was feeling like a 5 wheel and felt like we were all rushing him through the starwars gift shop. Never again only family.

My mother AND father....Worst mistake was inviting them along to WDW a few years back...

Lets start with the fact that mother must drink 50 cups of coffee a day...She wakes up at 4:30 to make her first pot which of course means noise when we are trying to sleep...The day becomes about when and where will she have more coffee and then the constant trips to the bathroom...At night the bathroom trips woke me up almost every time...During the day she slowed us way down because she would stop at every bathroom she passed...

My dad was very tired from the walking and was also slowing us way down...My parents are not old...Only 60 and 61 at the time...But he was acting like a really old man...He barely cracked a smile the entire trip...The only thing he seemed to like was the two times he played golf...

DH and I thought they would be over joyed being with their grandkids in Disney but it was clear they are just not Disney people :sad2:

My mom. She flipped out at the smallest thing (or nothing) too many times to count. She stormed out of EPCOT on us, almost skipped out on the Dessert Party I had booked and prepaid for her for HER birthday. She laid guilt trips, screaming at us, pounding on our door, throwing DD's belongings at us, and at one point was going to leave us at Pop and make us take the DME back to the airport, despite the fact that we'd paid half for the rental car. Oh, and accused us of using her for a "free vacation"... we paid our own way and for HER multi-day, park hopper ticket!

My wife BFF's ex-husband. Went on a cruise with them and he never left the boat. He camped out in a booth by the buffet all day until it was time to shower and change for dinner. He ate so much at dinner that he became an attraction to all of the other diners in the area. Then he hit the midnight buffets and dessert bar before heading off to bed. I swear that the cruise line lost money on him. :lmao: It was nauseating to watch... :sick:

My wife's cousin's daughter. Our last trip to WDW, she wandered off more times than I could count, and she had hourly meltdowns (I am talking psychotic meltdowns here). She is only a child, so only partially to blame, but she was a major nightmare to travel with. :upsidedow

For years we would go with all of my in-laws every other year (usually it was 10 to 16 people). For our 20th anniversary in '05 (we had not been since NYE '00), I told my DH that I wanted to go just the two of us. He moaned and complained the whole time I was planning and even up until we got down there. After a few days though we both decided that we would NEVER go again with his family and a large crowd. We never knew how much fun it was when you could do what you wanted to when you wanted to. We had very few sit downs meals when traveling with the crowd but we found that it is great fun to try different places and just relax over a nice meal. We have been at least once every year since and some years multiple times.

I also will not take my mother again - just the two of us went for a week 3 years ago. We had been many years ago just the two of us and had a great time but this time she drove me crazy - she got tired to the point where I insisted that she get a scooter, she didn't want to ride a lot of rides, she didn't want to eat and drink around the world in Epcot during F&W, and the absolute worse was she wanted to go back to the room early many nights (I love evening EMH and MNSSHP). The best was when we were coming home and she just sat her license and boarding pass on the top of her carryon after going through security - we get off the shuttle and I notice her license sitting there but no boarding pass. I take her out to the gate and sit her down, go up to wait in line at the counter to see what I need to do when someone came up because they had found it. I called my husband and told him to go down to our bar and get the two bottles of wine I had and put them on ice - I needed a drink when I got homE!

I've gone to Disney with about 15 different people over the years, usually 1 or 2 at a time. Once I took 3 buddies. In 2006 I took my (now ex) girl friend. We were both over 50 and she had been in 1971 with her late husband. Now one of the things I enjoy about taking newbies is I get to be in charge and every one has been fine with that. Not her. She argued every decision I made. Now she didn't look at a website or planning book before we went, but she was sure she knew better(they wouldn't do it that way). Her only input was telling me she didn't want R&C, she wanted the steakhouse. Well, guess which meal she hated. Yep, all my fault. The ex part came soon after.

My MIL! OMG never never never again! She complained NONSTOP, about any and everything. We payed for thier room and thier meals all they paid for was thier ticket and 3 day florida resident pass. yeah not much. But it was all too exspensive according to her. And I know it does cost more that staying at a campground BUT we paid for it. Then on top of that if I told my Diva NO she bought it for her. She complained about the expense and then bought her all kinds of PURE CRAP that she did not need. She drove me crazy. Oh and I can't forget the part where we stopped at every bathroom at in all of WDW. And the fact that she wore backless skechers and complained about her feeting hurting and wore long sleeves the whole time we were there (March) and complained about being HOT!

I was so glad that we had the last 2 days by ourselves. Just the 3 of us. Never again will I ever go anywhere with her that requires me to stay overnight with her. And bless my FIL he just smiled and made the best of having a good time with my Diva.

kelli

Ten years ago I took my daughter to Orlando for the national finals of a beauty pageant. She was almost 8 years old. Pageant "friends" who we knew fairly well from another state were also attending and we all decided to go to Disney together after competition one afternoon.

UGH.

They stole a stroller to push their daughter around in after their strollers wheel broke off and just dumped theirs in the bushes. They complained about lines (it was 4th of July weekend) and got into an argument with another guest because their daughter (and mine) were airbrush tanned for the pageant and I'll be honest...it looks "normal" at a pageant when everyone else is tanned but in "real life" it looks FAKE lol. :rotfl2: Another guest questioned why our daughters were "SOOOOO tan" and made a comment about little Jonbenet Ramsey's and the mother went off the handle while in line to meet the princesses. I took my daughter to "the bathroom" at that point and told my daughter who THANKFULLY had been to Disney A LOT that she wasn't going to meet princesses that day because the other Mommy was misbehaving. Then I bought her something to make up for it lol!!!

Needless to say the next day they wanted to go back to Disney after the awards ceremony was over and I said "Oh where are you headed? " They said Animal Kingdom so I told them "Oh...well we might might your there" but headed to MGM and then off to Epcot for dinner. Needless to say it was an awful day with this family.

BTW they didn't steal a persons personal stroller, they just pulled the name out of a Disney rental stroller but I was still in SHOCK and never looked at them in the same way again.

Gee...now I feel bad so I'm going to tell you my favorite person to bring to Disney!

I brought my Nana two years ago the day after Christmas. It was the first Christmas after my Pop Pop died and it was awesome.

We drove down from upstate NY and she never slept...straight thru she kept my hubby wide awake with story after story about literally every minute of her life. We rented her an EVC so she could get around well (she was 79 at the time) and she just trucked around in that scooter like a little daredevil! She went on every ride except Space Mountain and loved RnR Coaster, EE and ToT!

The best part of the trip for me was seeing my daughter get to spend this trip with her great grandmother. It was a very special trip for my then 15 year old and her 79 year old daredevil great nana!

Worst: My In Laws, who dress for Disney like they are headed to a business meeting. Seriously, just plain odd. They also demand to eat at a sit down restaurant three times per day but DON'T make reservations, because that wouldn't be "spontaneous."

Nothing more fun than walking around the world trying to get into packed restaurants. Really, a blast!

Best: My Momma, who cried every time she saw the castle. She would tear up and tell me Magic happened at Disney, and that Magic could happen anywhere if you just believed. My mother had incurable cancer and fought it for eight years before she passed. Mom died when I was 16, and I am so thankful for all those wonderful Disney memories she gave to me.

My parents. They just don't get Disney and they hate theme parks. In their mind they've been to all the parks, seen them and have no desire to spend time there. Unfortunately for me, I am going with my parents this summer. I want to spend as much time as possible in the parks, where as they want to spend minimal time there and hate the queues, the heat, the crowds and my mum basically hates all rides. Why are they going to Florida you might ask. No idea is my answer, but at least I get to spend some time in the most magical place on earth. It's going to be fun!

My BIL and sister!

I would get up early for rope drop. I would eat at the resort before going to rope drop. They wouldn't eat! Then we would get into the park and guess what they were hungry. Then we had to search all over for a place that was open and they liked what was served.

At EPCOT, I showed them around Future World a bit til World Showcase opened. Then I told them I was going to go around the World Showcase and I'd meet up with them later. No, they insisted in coming. I told them they wouldn't enjoy it. They followed me around complaining about the pavillions and shows that were boring. I told them to pick a time and place, I would meet up with them-No they wouldn't go off and let me see the part of EPCOT I didn't see the previous visit. They just kept complaining the whole day, by that evening I exploded-I don't think I have ever been that mad.

This thread is too funny :lmao: (although I'm sure none of these stories were funny when they were actually happening!)

I notice that a few of these are about ex-wives/ex-girlfriends/etc. It's been a long-running joke in my family that before me or my siblings can get married we have to survive a trip to WDW with our significant other to make sure they're really the one. Reading these stories makes that actually sound like a good idea!

My family has been going to Disney for a long time, and we've gone with people who we made some great memories with, and we've gone with people who we made not so great memories with. Thankfully, the good memories stick out in our minds more than the bad. We're continually bringing up things we did years ago, "Hey, remember the time Aunt Sue wanted to cut holes in her shoes for her blisters to have room!" It cracks us up to remember.

Now, that being said, there were three people I remember that soured things a bit. One was a friends mom. My friend, and her mom and dad went with us one year, and for her it was one thing after another. I truly believe that sometimes, you make or break your own vacation. I know somethings happen that are truly bad, but she was just a complainer. No joke, every meal she got she sent it back because something was wrong. There was always something wrong. Just her meals. Haha! It's like, oh my burger has tomato, I was for no tomato, go make me another one. I'm like, really? Just rake it off. It was embarrassing sometimes.

The other two were my grandparents. It sounds like this is a story that is familiar with some people. My parents paid their way, but they were sourpusses the whole time. The weather was bad (afternoon thundershowers that cool down the evening), the food was gross, things were too expensive (my parents were paying their way), too many people, etc etc. The best time my grandfather had was going around with the landscapers one day at CB taking cuttings off of some of the plants and asking them questions and stuff. (He owned a nursery.) I thought it was strange, but at least he wasn't with us complaining.

Now, the best person we ever took? My other grandfather who is no longer with us. Yea, he woke up early every morning and whistled while he was making his coffee and woke everyone up, but he never once complained. He was in his upper 60's and kept up with us the whole time, didn't complain about the heat or the people, and even though the food was out of his comfort zone, we always managed to find something he would eat. We got him on every ride, and he was laughing so hard on Splash Mountain that we thought he might have a heart attack.

Now I prefer taking well behaved kids. I like seeing the parks through the eyes of a child, all of the wonderment, and amazement. It's fun!

Twice (why the 2nd time, I have no idea) my sister and I paid for and took my mom on trips with our 3 kids. The thought was that she could spend time with the kids (preschoolers at that point) while we did some of the bigger rides. Most of the time would be spent together, but the idea was that she'd pitch in so we could do some grown up stuff.

We knew our mother was insane and difficult before the trips...CERTAINLY before the 2nd trip...but WDW is like labor. You forget about all the pain when you get ready to do it again. Anyway, she refused to wear sensible shoes and wore nonsense with no support. Therefore, she walked so so so slowly. She wanted to stop at every bench. (she was not "elderly" by any stretch at this point) She is also a smoker and literally stopped at every smoking area every time we were within a half mile of one. We'd be walking along to wherever and she'd announce "I'm going to take so and so over there for a bit" (NEVER would say she was going to smoke). Of course, so and so would have preferred to come with us to whatever attraction we were going to.

She is afraid of everyone and everything. She would never in a million years ask for a sauce to be served on the side or anything like that. So, instead she'd be miserable through every possible instance. And, she'd try and find reasons to get back to the hotel starting early in the day.

I wouldn't have minded sending her off to alternate between lounging by the pool and visiting the smoking areas so much if we hadn't really intended for her to help somewhat with the kids.

Never again. Never again. MrsDisneyFan, are you out there??? NEVER again. (MrsDisneyFan is my sis)

My boyfriend's sister's ex-boyfriend (did you follow that? :lmao:)

We went with him once in November of 2006. He didn't get invited back until this past October (2009) and they broke up soon after.

He complained about everything we did. And the fact that I scheduled all the meals at places he wouldn't really have picked. Now a little side info about that one: we went during Free Dining. We had Free Dining. He wormed his way into the trip (September, 1 month before the trip!) after I had already booked all of our dining. Did I complain? no. I rescheduled all of our meals..including CRT. And asked him for suggestions before I rescheduled. Then he didn't like MNSSHP...and insisted that it would be more fun if we left early and went back to the hotel to swim. Even my boyfriend's sister realized at this point that he would never be coming to Disney with us again.

My mom. She flipped out at the smallest thing (or nothing) too many times to count. She stormed out of EPCOT on us, almost skipped out on the Dessert Party I had booked and prepaid for her for HER birthday. She laid guilt trips, screaming at us, pounding on our door, throwing DD's belongings at us, and at one point was going to leave us at Pop and make us take the DME back to the airport, despite the fact that we'd paid half for the rental car. Oh, and accused us of using her for a "free vacation"... we paid our own way and for HER multi-day, park hopper ticket!

See...YOU know what I'm talking about!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter