Diabetes?

You know, I forgot to tell you. . . I have a backpack purse and just hide behind my purse to test. Most people don't even notice. My meter (Freestyle) does beep but I could also silence the alarm (I think). I like the Freestyle because it has a light and I can test without waking up dh.

I used to use an Accu-Chek meter (they may have changed the name) and hated it!! My blood sugar would be up to 100 points higher on it so I'd over-correct and crash. That wasn't fun.

:grouphug:

New question: I tested today and my FBS was 134- pretty high considering it's normally in the low 90's. I don't entirely trust the reading because I dropped the meter yesterday and I also tested 5 minutes after eating some cereal (I realized I had forgotten to do it.) I did a control and my mter is fine, so I'm wondering how quickly food causes blood sugar to rise? Would it really go up that quickly five minutes after eating?

Depends on the type of sugar in the cereal but sometimes it can go up fast like with sweet sugary kinds. I need another meter as mine is really off. I can get 5 reading and everyone is different from 115 to 170. did that once to prove a point. They are machines and can break or be contrary:lmao: . Hugs and good luck.

I officially have prediabetes. The good news is that I caught it early so I can hopefuly stall the diagnosis of full blown diabetes, though it was indicated that it is probably a waste of time.

Whew! That is good news. Prediabetes is nearly always the first phase of diabetes, so its good that you'd taking it seriously. And taking pains to control the prediabetes state is NOT a waste of time. Everything you do today results in how your body functions 10yrs from now. The longer you can keep your sugar in control the less damage diabetes will cause your heart, liver, blood vessels, eyes and kidneys.

I need to not post when I'm tired. I thought you had doctored my quote Minkydog, then I realized instead of writing "matter of time", I wrote "waste of time." Do not Dis while tired.

I saw the dietician who is also a CDE. She gave me a "prescription" for my diet. 30 carbs for breakfast, 45 for lunch and dinner, and I can have a 30 carb snack at night if I want. She also gave me a set number of protein and fat per meal (for weight loss), but since I am doing WW, she said it's fine if I just count points instead of worrying about the fat and protein component. I am supposed to go back to her once I lose some weight because then she will up it a little.

I am not supposed to eat snacks (or at least, no carbs between meals). She said they used to have people eat snacks (6 meals a day) figuring that it would keep the blood sugar more constant. She told us that is no longer standard wisdom for prediabetes or type 2 because the sugar doesn't get a chance to return to normal and instead stays elevated. If my blood sugar dips like it's tended to do, I'm supposed to eat 15 grams of carbs, then wait 15 minutes to see if it helps.

I'm coming in late to your thread (I don't read the OT board much) but I have to ask some ?'s - perhaps you answered them already but I didn't see it.

I'm guessing you are out of high school - so as a student you mean a college student? I'm just wondering if you are older than 18, etc.

I am sure you know there are two main types of diabetes - Type 1 and Type 2 - you are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes right? Are they absolutely sure that you do not have type 1? I have know people (usually younger - like 20's) who at first were thought to have type 2 but it was type 1 - or type 1.5. There is more than 2 types (it is thought - that is debatable and I am not trying to go there!). I just want to make it clear that the doctor(s) are certain as to what type you have.

As always, terrific advice and just what I was getting ready add before I read through the whole thread. For certainty sake, I would confirm that your doctor tested for the antibodies that are typically present in people with Type 1 Diabetes. DS (7) was diagnosed at 20 months. Having said that, I also have a friend who was diagnosed with T1 at 32. So, you just don't know without more conclusive tests.

No matter which type, in my opinion, the key is testing, testing, testing. You need to know how your body is doing and testing is the only way to know that for sure. Hang in there...the management does get easier (never thought those words would EVER come out of my mouth!).

All the Best!
Daneen

The carb counting isn't as hard as I feared it would be, at least for now. In fact, I find that I'm actually consistently eating lower than the limit she set for me.

On September 27th I'm going to be participating in the Step Out for Diabetes Walk in KC. You can find the link in the bottom of my signature, you guys will get a kick out of the picture I'm sure!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter