Diabetic Questions

CourtasanSatine

<font color=blue>I'm partial to the 4th seaters<br
I'm lending my mom a hand with the early legwork for next summer's trip and could use info on being a diabetic in the parks(not me but a family member)

A few questions which will make our answering easier and more accurate. Is the person an adult or child, and if a child approximate age? How long has the person been diagnosed? Is the diabetes controlled by diet, pills, insulin or a combination? If insulin, how often are the shots or is a pump used? Are there any complications or other (related) medical problems? There are several regulars here (myself included) who are diabetic or medically trained and we would like to give the best possible answers so more informaton would help.

Biggest advice I can give is test, test, test!
Always have a source of quick sugar with you.
Try to schedule meals at times when the restaurants are less crowded so you are seated quickly.

The person is my college age brother and he does test but not on meds. The people going on the trip are family and his girlfriend. This has been going on since last summer if memory serves me. Nothing major has gone wrong so far as well

Then there is really nothing that needs to be done extra for him. He is responsible for choosing the correct diet and making sure he gets it. Timing is not a factor since he is not on meds. By testing he maybe able to add some extra treats due to all the walking.

Seems like he is type 2, which does not require insulin. His blood glucose probably tends toward highs as opposed to lows, but any extreme high or low is not good. He should have an emergency plan for the worst-case scenario, and make sure everyone is prepared and aware. Heat, humidity and extra exertion can significantly affect a diabetic's normal ranges. He should have no troubles ordering off the menu, but can make special meal requests in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter