Diabetic Tips

PLUTO2

Mouseketeer
My DH was recently diagnosed with diabetes. At this time he is on medication but the doctor stated he may have to go on insulin if he does not respond to the pills. This will be the first time we will be traveling since he was diagnosed and I am writing for any tips you may have (we will be flying). Thank you for your help.

Request a refrigerator in your room for medical reasons as well as a sharps container.
Make sure all medications are in labelled containers from your pharmacy. Insulin is not prescription but be sure it is clearly labelled (vials are, pens you probably need to bring in box) Syringes can be taken (mine come in bags of 10 so I just throw a couple of bags in my kit) don't forget meter, strips and lancets as well as alcohol swabs if you use them (I don't, just wash hands well before testing and injecting)
For carrying in the parks you can buy a small pack that has an freezable ice pack if you are travelling in the hot months. Cooler months I just drop it in my purse or clip to my belt in a small clip pack I got at Home Depot. (really for tools)
Always carry some fast sugar as blood sugar can really drop at the parks with all the walking. I carry a small tube of icing (no temptation to eat it unless needed) Juice at bedside in case of hypo at night. Also he is hypo and you aren't near a place for food and don't have something at hand inform a castmember who will get help

A couple of times I did go hypo and castmembers very quickly got me juice or a coke to bring my sugar up. They are great!

As to food. Ask the chef about diabetic desserts. They are available. Crystal Palace had a wonderful sugar-free brownie and no sugar added ice cream. Remember though that they will give you a bigger portion than you need. Often they will also offer fruit as a dessert and have no idea how limited the amount of fruit you can eat. Let them know you can only have a small apple or 6-7 strawberries, or a dozen grapes. The fruit platters I have been given are large enough to feed an army :)
If you want to go to a show where the food is inappropriate ask for something that you can eat. They are used to providing meals for special needs and very willing to work with you.
Most of all enjoy your trip

We recently traveled to WDW with our 3 yr old son who is a type 1 diabetic - therefore he is on insulin. I think type 1 and 2's have rather different needs sometimes - especially if it turns out that your husband won't need to use insulin. Keep in mind that many of the sugar-free desserts are still rather high in carbs. We tend to go with regular dessert items because of that but it will depend on how sugar affects your husband. Fresh fruit does have a fair number of carbs in it but also more fiber so it might be easier as a dessert.

In the MK we were able to find sugar-free strawberry fruit bars in many of the ice cream carts. Those are low-carb (i think 8 carbs a bar?). My son didn't like them at all but I thought they tasted fine. We also found more places serving the light lemonade (sugar-free) - diet coke doesn't work so well for a 3 year old. They will not object if you want to bring in a smaller (like lunch size) cooler with some snacks in it should you have things that work well for him.

We had great service at Le Cellier especially. The chefs and entire staff are just wonderful - and made William a special dessert not on the menu (he is also allergic to peanuts/nuts so other issues there too). The sit-down places will usually go out of their way to help you out. Make sure you note that he is diabetic on your PS's and talk to the chefs about a week before you go.

Have fun!

Just wanted to add that you should also take along a prescription for any meds he is on in case you should need to have something re-filled in an emergency. I mean, I know you could call your dr and have them call something in, but you don't want to spend your vacation waiting on that. Good luck to you both!

Pooh Crew said:
Just wanted to add that you should also take along a prescription for any meds he is on in case you should need to have something re-filled in an emergency. I mean, I know you could call your dr and have them call something in, but you don't want to spend your vacation waiting on that. Good luck to you both!
Also,
if you have a prescription that has some refills left on it and use a nationwide pharmacy that has a branch in the DisneyWorld area, they can actually temporarily transfer many prescriptions to the Florida branch for a refill. I found that out when I forgot a prescription when we went to WDW in January. It was very simple; the pharmacy took care of temporarily transferring the prescription and working with the insurance company to get it paid for.
Check with the pharmacy before you leave (unless, like me, you forgot your medication).

The disease is different for each, and can be more than manageable. Many lead healthier lives than before they were diagnosed. Becoming informed in all aspects of gold-standard care takes time and the support of a good team.

Try a keyword search of these boards, as many of the questions you have may already have been asked and answered. And we here are happy to give our advice.

Ambassador said:
The disease is different for each, and can be more than manageable. Many lead healthier lives than before they were diagnosed. Becoming informed in all aspects of gold-standard care takes time and the support of a good team.
But remember ultimately the control of diabetes is up to the patient no matter how good the support team. The person with diabetes must be willing to take the bull by the horns and control it. (this is for adults, teens and older children who care for themselves not young children or children with other issues who must have a caregiver control their diet and lifestyle)

Ambassador said:

Try a keyword search of these boards, as many of the questions you have may already have been asked and answered. And we here are happy to give our advice.

I definitely agree that a diabetic needs a good support team around him/her. Also, making personal sacrifices as a member of that support team is important as well.

I'm a diabetic so I sympathize. Something that hasn't been mentioned and is very important when going in the summertime, is sunblock. Diabetics tend to be more suceptable to the sun and I can vouch for getting very burned and ruined a vacation because I didn't pay attention. Always carry sunblock and stay out of the sun as much as possible. And it can't be over-emphasized on the importance of checking the glucose levels. I check mine 4 times a day at home and more while on vacation. Always carry twice the meds needed and supplies and ALWAYS carry them in the carry-on, not the luggage, it could get lost at any time or be misrouted and you can be left without it for an undetermined time and that would be very hazardous for a diabetic when the sugar levels drop. I've had wonderful vacations at WDW, they are very simpathetic to our needs you just need to tell them he is diabetic and all the restaurants I have visited have been very accomodating. Have a wonderful and safe trip. :banana: :banana:

msr709 said:
Something that hasn't been mentioned and is very important when going in the summertime, is sunblock.

I totally agree ~ I purchased
69022.jpg
Hawaiian Tropic Baby Faces SPF 50+ which is recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation. He only had to apply it once in the morning and it worked perfectly all day. I couldn't be happier with this product :goodvibes :flower:

msr709 said:
Something that hasn't been mentioned and is very important when going in the summertime, is sunblock. Diabetics tend to be more suceptable to the sun and I can vouch for getting very burned and ruined a vacation because I didn't pay attention.

I was not aware of this. My DH is not good about wearing sunblock so I appreciate this information tremendously. :earsgirl:

Do resorts offer some sort of disposal for needles? I thought I read/heard that somewhere. We'll be traveling with my mom in December who is diabetic...she's lucky and can control with just diet and exercise.

skuttle said:
Do resorts offer some sort of disposal for needles? I thought I read/heard that somewhere. We'll be traveling with my mom in December who is diabetic...she's lucky and can control with just diet and exercise.

Yes, its called a Sharpie Container (or something like that) when you check in you can ask for it.

Talking Hands said:
Sharps Container

But you may have to repeat and describe exactly what you want. I have found many housekeeping personal aren't familiar with it until I describe what it is used for.

Is this something to request at check in or is it better to call mousekeeping?

skuttle said:
Is this something to request at check in or is it better to call mousekeeping?

My Hubby doesn't require needles but we still make all our special needs requests when we make our reservations. That way, it's in their files.

I guess we would need something. My mom doesn't need insulin, but she will have those little needles from testing her sugars.

skuttle said:
I guess we would need something. My mom doesn't need insulin, but she will have those little needles from testing her sugars.

Are you talking about lancets? Those can be disposed of in the regular garbage cans (properly wrapped of course). You will most likely get different opinions on this though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter