Dignified Transport for My Mom

southjerseymom

DIS Veteran
Trying to convince my 78 yr old Mom to come to WDW with us this February after a 4 day Wonder Cruise. She gets around pretty good...but I know she doesn't want to go because she is afraid she will "slow" us down. She's not the kind of gal who can do a motorized thing (I think they call them EVC's) - but I really don't think she would be comfortable being pushed in a traditional wheelchair. Do we have any options? Does anyone rent some kind of souped up cool wheelchair that she might consider. Thanks for any replies! PS my kids are cherish their mommom and they would be thrilled if she would come with us - so I am open to any suggestions!!

I'm moving this to the disABILITIES board maybe someone over there can help you with this. :flower:

southjerseymom said:
She's not the kind of gal who can do a motorized thing (I think they call them EVC's) - but I really don't think she would be comfortable being pushed in a traditional wheelchair. Do we have any options? Does anyone rent some kind of souped up cool wheelchair that she might consider. Thanks for any replies! PS my kids are cherish their mommom and they would be thrilled if she would come with us - so I am open to any suggestions!!

You kind of used up the majority of your options. My mother was in her 80's when she went last and she used an EVC for the first time and had a great time with it. Do your best to talk her into using one. It's kind of like a ride in itself.
:moped: :moped: :moped:

goofyernmost said:
You kind of used up the majority of your options. My mother was in her 80's when she went last and she used an EVC for the first time and had a great time with it. Do your best to talk her into using one. It's kind of like a ride in itself.
:moped: :moped: :moped:
::yes::
The only cooler types of wheelchairs you will find are not for rent because they are people's personal wheelchairs.
This site, www.pixiedustinn.com has some good insights into how to convince someone they should/really need to use an ecv or wheelchair.

Also, I don't have time to look right now, but Ray Sharpton posted his experiences as a new (and a bit relectant at first) ecv renter on this board.

I agree with Sue's comment about the cool wheelchairs. However, I have two suggestions.

The first is go to a large grocery store or WalMart (or similar) with her. They tend to have ECVs to assist people with shopping. Be aware these are much larger and more difficult to maneuver than either the Disney rentals or the off-site rentals. Have her try one but be sure she understands that regular ones are not so clunky.

Second is ask her the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

cheshire Figment's questions are great! Try to convince your mom that she will have a better time if she lets you all take turns pushing the wheelchair. Plus she will have fun with her grandchildren! OR try the suggestion about using a scooter at a store at home first.

I understand completely where you are coming from. My DM79 was invited to join us for the last few trips to WDW, but on the condition that she use a wheelchair. I knew that she would not do well with an ECV, because I've seen her steer a shopping cart! :rotfl2: She finally agreed, and went with us last November. I think we are all glad she did. She has severe arthritis, and doesn't walk well, but did sometimes opt to use the chair like a rolling walker and push it. This gave her some mobility, but when we wanted to go quickly, she could ride, and when we needed to walk long distances she rode. She has a hard time giving in to the idea that she is older and somewhat disabled, and didn't want to burden us by making us push her, but I know that she would agree to using a chair again if it meant another trip to WDW with her grandchildren. Good luck with your mom!

Cheshire Figment said:
I agree with Sue's comment about the cool wheelchairs. However, I have two suggestions.

The first is go to a large grocery store or WalMart (or similar) with her. They tend to have ECVs to assist people with shopping. Be aware these are much larger and more difficult to maneuver than either the Disney rentals or the off-site rentals. Have her try one but be sure she understands that regular ones are not so clunky.

Second is ask her the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are travelling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

Yes, yes, and more yes!!::yes::

My mom has mobility issues, and unfortunately was in a car accident that fractured her neck - 3 months before we went to WDW. And mom worried about the same things your's did.."I don't want to change your vacation", "I'll just slow you down"...it took lots of convincing that the trip was about just being together...not "seeing everything".

Nana and Papa haven't missed a trip yet, and their grandsons weren't going to let them off the hook;) "But Nana, you don't need your neck to be better to go to WDW, you just need to have your eyes open so you can see me with Stitch"...and that sealed the deal:)

Definitely try out the WalMart idea...that was what gave mom confidence to try the ECV's at WDW...and she LOVED them:) She wasn't worried about Dad pushing her all the time, *she* could control where she was going, and we had a wonderful time.:)

We'll be renting one again this year for her at the parks:)

HTH!!
:sunny:

mbb said:
She wasn't worried about Dad pushing her all the time, *she* could control where she was going, and we had a wonderful time.:)

That sums it up!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter