Diners and Drive Inns in Ca and Or....

BELLEDOZER

Evil MOM reporting for duty!!
Hi everyone! Hubby and I are driving down to DL the beginning of Feb. We are looking to hit all the major chain fast food places we don't have here, but we also would like to take the time and hit some of the Diners, Dives and Drive Inns that the average tourist would overlook. Would like some tips on some of the fav local greasy spoons. We are taking the I-5 down to DL, and plan on driving the coast on the way back. Any help would be appreciated regarding this, and have a great day!!

Trish:goodvibes :goodvibes

In n Out for hamburgers--all over Southern California. One of my faves for slushes is Sonic. The only one I know of is in Fullerton near the Disney Warehouse. All I know is it is near Harbor. I like Ruby's Diner, Johnny Rocket's and Mel's Diner. They are all over Southern California. There's Tommy's and Pink's, though I've never been to either one.

You have to hit Pink's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinks_Hot_Dogs

Also, this place is a must. The Apple Pan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apple_Pan

One of the first McDonald's is still in Norwalk or Sante Fe Springs (Not far from Disneyland). I can't seem to find what it is, first with a drive-through, first owned by the McDonald brothers...something like that. People go there and have their pictures taken in front of it, though.

Is that what you are looking for?

Thanks everyone for their restaurant tips. They were exactly what I was looking for. We like to visit restaurants that are local or locally owned fast food restaurants, or greasy spoons, as most of the time they have alot better food than the chain restaurants have. And as we love our vintage vehicles, the restaurants mentioned are right up our alley, and will actively look for them on our trip to DL the beginning of Feb. Thanks for the great tips. Have a great day!

Trish:grouphug: :grouphug:

When I think greasy spoon I think Tommy's. It's still entirely family owned although they have a couple dozen locations, including the original at Beverly and Rampart near downtown L.A. Most if not all locations are open 24 hours. The burgers are actually chili-burgers, and it's the Tommy's special chili that makes it. Just a bit spicy, definitely a bit greasy, and most definitely messy. It's not for everyone, but if you're making the diner/drive-in tour Tommy's must be on your short list.

Runner up is In-N-Out Burger, and I'll let someone else drone on about them. I should mention that In-N-Out was mentioned in a recent NY Times article about "great airport food":

"Next door lay salvation: In-N-Out Burger, the West Coast’s all-local, all-natural fast-food chain. It was packed with college students, hipsters in silly fedoras, a British couple with a baby, Indian 20-somethings figuring out how to ship saris back from London. I ordered a cheeseburger and fries, and dug in as if I hadn’t already eaten three dinners that night. Now that was a cheeseburger: a sublime agglomeration of complementary flavors and contrasting textures. A worthy airport meal, if it wasn’t technically in the airport."

The world's oldest McDonald's can be found in Downey and it still has it's 50's nostalgic style.

The Hat is also a CA favorite, mainly for it's pastrami, but they have other sandwiches, dogs, and goodies as well. The one closest to DL would be in Brea.

Seconding the previous poster who recommended Tommy's...everyone MUST try a Tommyburger at least once in their lives!

If you want a real 50's diner that still has its original decor/architecture intact...I recommend Pann's : panns.com . It's a bit of a drive from Anaheim, but well worth it.

A good choice for a sit-down meal is The Pantry in downtown Los Angeles. As the site says, they never close. Great meat and potatoes place, with decor that probably hasn't changed since they opened in the 1920's. It's an L.A. institution, not too far from the Staples Center where the Lakers and Clippers play.

On the other side of downtown L.A., very near Union Station, is Philippe's, home of the French dip sandwich. This is another L.A. institution that hasn't changed much since the depression.

Tommy's is a must. I have to go there whenever I get back in town. Yes, it is a greasy chili burger, but it's an original.

Pink's was also a GREAT suggestion.

I don't know about everyone else, but my DW and I really enjoyed the burgers at Sonic. We're from Canada, and our first day in Cali we ate a burger at Croc's Bits and Bites, and were less than impressed. The corn fed beef didn't taste like burger at all (I <3 Alberta Beef). So when we chomped down on a Sonic Burger....HAAAALLELUJAH!

We're going to The Squeeze Inn in Sacramento on the way back up from Disneyland. It's mostly to break up the drive home and because my husbands uncle lives there, but we saw this on Guy Fieri's show and can't resist. It's also just a block or two away from his uncle :)

For the trip back up the coast.

For breakfast, i think Guy stopped at Patricks Road House on the PCH in Santa Monica.

http://www.patricksroadhouse.info/

Even a better stop for lunch (or anytime it's open) is Malibu Seafood 30 min. up the PCH. If inclined, it's BYOB & you sit at picnic tables & watch the surf:

http://www.malibuseafood.com/

Tip....get the fish sandwich on toasted sourdough.

Jocko's in Nipomo would be a natural as well. Great Portuguese Steaks & Steak sandwiches.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ws-Jocko_s_Steak_House-Nipomo_California.html

Neptune's net on PCH is good it's pretty far north but well worth it. As mentioned before: Philippe's, the hat, the pantry, all good. also if you see a chronic tacos along PCH in the huntington beach area, they're pretty good. maybe hit up Yelp.com for some suggestions.

Neptune's net on PCH is good it's pretty far north but well worth it. As mentioned before: Philippe's, the hat, the pantry, all good. also if you see a chronic tacos along PCH in the huntington beach area, they're pretty good. maybe hit up Yelp.com for some suggestions.

We just saw that restaurant on a side street in HB. We parked our car on a side street a distance from the beach as we like to walk allot. All of a sudden we came across a little restaurant and it was PACKED. And it was Chronic Taco. So is their food/taco's really that awesome??? :confused3

I was just down in HB and I think Chronic Taco was on Main St, right across from the HB pier.

If you do travel up the coast on the way back, and you happen to stop in Santa Cruz, there's a diner called the Saturn Cafe that I really love. It's not a Guy Fieri kinda joint, 'cause it's mostly vegetarian (which isn't totally my style), but the food is terrific! I ALWAYS eat there when I'm in town.

I was just down in HB and I think Chronic Taco was on Main St, right across from the HB pier.

If you do travel up the coast on the way back, and you happen to stop in Santa Cruz, there's a diner called the Saturn Cafe that I really love. It's not a Guy Fieri kinda joint, 'cause it's mostly vegetarian (which isn't totally my style), but the food is terrific! I ALWAYS eat there when I'm in town.

Chronic Taco
328 11th St, Huntington Beach, CA 92648

You must be thinking of someplace else as this is on 11th Street. We parked somewhere around 14th St/Palm and like to walk to the Pier....we happened upon C.T. on 11th Street.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter