Dining on a Budget

coldneverbotheredmee

Earning My Ears
What are your best hacks for dining on a budget?

Going for a few days in January & trying to keep expenses low - 2 adults & 3 kids - we are AP holders if that matters. doing split stay at royal pacifc and sapphire falls

we will do an instacart order but it's hard for me to think of things to order that don't require a freezer, microwave, toaster etc. if you have any specific things you order would be happy to hear them :)

we will do breakfast one day at three broomsticks and all get kids meals - would also love to hear more hacks like this

thanks!

Red Oven pizza is a good choice - pizza is really good & serves a few people easily for the same price as a sandwich/fries or entree at most other places.

You could probably split the BBQ plates at Thunder Falls Terrace, and/or add an extra side or two and 2 plates for a family style dinner.

Red Oven pizza is a good choice - pizza is really good & serves a few people easily for the same price as a sandwich/fries or entree at most other places.

You could probably split the BBQ plates at Thunder Falls Terrace, and/or add an extra side or two and 2 plates for a family style dinner.
both sound perfect, thank you!

Can't confirm, but I've heard people say the wok bowls at Aventura next door to Sapphire are large enough to split.

Aventura also has a warming station area with 2 microwaves and 2 toasters. You could call and check if either of the hotels you are staying in have the same, or if you are comfortable, just walk next door and use it. That would open up more options for things you can make.

You might also look into the Cabana Bay family suites. There is a larger kitchen area with a microwave, fridge, and sink in it. That might be a better a option if you plan to do meals in the room. With an AP rate, those suites are usually the same price as a regular Sapphire room. It might also save you a little to go toward meals out.

The nachos at the pool bar at RP are amazing and definitely something that can be split between multiple people. You can google them to see the size.

I'd also try googling dorm room recipes. That should give you a few good ideas as college kids are usually in a similar cooking situation.

The little self serve mac-n-cheese cups are great as you only need to add water and microwave, same with oatmeal. Neither of those options require a freezer.

Reactions: AJA

If you are looking for portable snacks: goldfish crackers, pretzels, energy/granola bars do not require refrigeration.

Funny you should post this. My husband and I are going to Universal in February. We have an expensive Disney trip planned for the fall of 2024, so our goal was to keep things inexpensive for this trip. Now, it is only the two of us-no kids wanting to try out a lot of fun theme park foods. :)
We are driving, so we are going to bring a small coffee maker and hot pot/electric kettle for coffee and tea. Also, cereal for breakfast. The rooms have mini fridges for milk. If you are driving, perhaps you could bring a cooler with ice. I am planning to bring protein bars, popcorn, fruit, cheese for lunch or dinner. We will eat one meal out a day.
We are also doing this-we are putting money that we might normally spend, in an envelope. I don't mind spending "saved money" as much as I do credit card money.
Again, this works for us. Not sure if we had done this when the kids were younger, how it would go.

A big savings is also to not buy drinks while in the parks (all the quick serve places, sit down meals, and anywhere with a soda fountain will give you a cup of/for water). If you are checking a bag, you can cram some drinks in there or do a quick beverage run on the way to the parks so you can drink non-water at the hotel. You can also bring a bottle/can of beverage with you to the parks - normal 12oz soda cans fit upright in the lockers, and closed bottles can lay down, so they won't impede your rides. We might grab a soda at the occasional table service meal, since at least they include a refill (or two) for the price.

Can't confirm, but I've heard people say the wok bowls at Aventura next door to Sapphire are large enough to split.

Aventura also has a warming station area with 2 microwaves and 2 toasters. You could call and check if either of the hotels you are staying in have the same, or if you are comfortable, just walk next door and use it. That would open up more options for things you can make.

You might also look into the Cabana Bay family suites. There is a larger kitchen area with a microwave, fridge, and sink in it. That might be a better a option if you plan to do meals in the room. With an AP rate, those suites are usually the same price as a regular Sapphire room. It might also save you a little to go toward meals out.

The nachos at the pool bar at RP are amazing and definitely something that can be split between multiple people. You can google them to see the size.

I'd also try googling dorm room recipes. That should give you a few good ideas as college kids are usually in a similar cooking situation.

The little self serve mac-n-cheese cups are great as you only need to add water and microwave, same with oatmeal. Neither of those options require a freezer.
RP nachos are my number 1 top Universal food, they're so good! thanks for all the suggestions :)

A big savings is also to not buy drinks while in the parks (all the quick serve places, sit down meals, and anywhere with a soda fountain will give you a cup of/for water). If you are checking a bag, you can cram some drinks in there or do a quick beverage run on the way to the parks so you can drink non-water at the hotel. You can also bring a bottle/can of beverage with you to the parks - normal 12oz soda cans fit upright in the lockers, and closed bottles can lay down, so they won't impede your rides. We might grab a soda at the occasional table service meal, since at least they include a refill (or two) for the price.
You can also bring the little flavoring powders and add to free water. It obviously won’t be carbonated, but you might like lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, etc. I find Dollar Tree usually has a pretty decent selection, and the packets are small enough to fit easily in a backpack or fannypack.
Alternately, we will sometimes splurge on a Freestyle cup, and share. As APs we have some from prior trips, so a reactivation is like $12 for the day. Then we go round-robin style with who gets to pick the flavor. Saves me money over individual drinks, and the lockout time on the machines coupled with sharing cuts down on the empty calories they’d consume if each kid had their own. We don’t usually have sodas at our house, so this is a treat.

You can also bring the little flavoring powders and add to free water. It obviously won’t be carbonated, but you might like lemonade, iced tea, fruit punch, etc. I find Dollar Tree usually has a pretty decent selection, and the packets are small enough to fit easily in a backpack or fannypack.
Alternately, we will sometimes splurge on a Freestyle cup, and share. As APs we have some from prior trips, so a reactivation is like $12 for the day. Then we go round-robin style with who gets to pick the flavor. Saves me money over individual drinks, and the lockout time on the machines coupled with sharing cuts down on the empty calories they’d consume if each kid had their own. We don’t usually have sodas at our house, so this is a treat.
We do this too - 2 freestyle cups for the 5 of us and everyone shares with turns taken for picking. I do like the suggestion of buying bottles though - we might do that this time since we’re going in Jan so warm soda won’t be as big a disappointment as in warmer times.

OP in addition to what’s been said, we also get bagels with cream cheese since my kids will eat them without toasting. You could easily add deli meats to make a heartier sandwich. We always do breakfast in the room.

One of the reasons we switched from Sapphire Falls to the family suites at Cabana Bay was the kitchenette. We visit 2-3 times per year and stay a week. The hotel food court,and quick meals, even at City Walk get old, and Table Service 2x a day gets expensive for the three of us. The mini fridges at CB keep everything plenty cold enough. We get cereal, several different types of hoagie sandwiches, fruits, my daughter even takes her favorite soups 😆.

I love PB &J for a quick easy meal and I’ve found Universal (and Disney) have Jif peanut butter single serve cups and jelly in the food court. The food court also has microwave’s available (microwaves are provided in the family suites) if you want to bring some of your own food.

Adding: I’ve even made chicken burritos . and nachos. Canned chicken (its better than you may think) cheese, lettuce, tomato, bag of chips or burrito wraps. It’s really easy to get 2 meals out of the ingredients and around $12 ish (we stop at Walmart before we get to the hotel)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter