Dining plan for DVC

WDWLVR

<font color=green>DVC @ The Boardwalk</font><br><f
I had the honor of having dinner with Jim Lewis last night on the DVC Member Cruise. One of the topics that came up in our group (there were 14 of us total including Jim and his wife) was a dining plan for DVC Members. Jim told us he knows that this is a very important issue for DVC Members. It is something they are working on and he said that by the annual meetings he will be able to give firmer details as to what they have planned. That doesn't mean that a dining plan will roll out then and there, but that by that time they should have a better idea of what the plan will be and when it will roll out.

Trust me when I say DVC does listen to us Members!

That sounds positive...
Thanks for the info... We have all be waiting so long to hear that they are truly considering a plan for DVC members!

I believe the annual meetings are late November and early December.

It will be interesting to see if it is better received than the old dining/activities plan was. I think that's why DVC did away with the old plan years ago. It just was not utilized that much.

I will be on a plane when BWV's meeting is, so I figured I would just forego it this year. But, it looks like I just might head over to the one at BCV the next day and see what happens. A dining plan for us would be nice.

WDWLVR said:
I had the honor of having dinner with Jim Lewis last night on the DVC Member Cruise. One of the topics that came up in our group (there were 14 of us total including Jim and his wife) was a dining plan for DVC Members. Jim told us he knows that this is a very important issue for DVC Members. It is something they are working on and he said that by the annual meetings he will be able to give firmer details as to what they have planned. That doesn't mean that a dining plan will roll out then and there, but that by that time they should have a better idea of what the plan will be and when it will roll out.

Trust me when I say DVC does listen to us Members!
Did anyone at the table bring up anything related to online booking, or the ability to check points status or availability online? Kind of wondering how they are coming with that project.

Best wishes -

Thanks for the update. We would love to have a dining plan, I just hope that it will be a good one. Making ADR's now for the more popular restaurants is much harder than it used to be with others on the dining plan.

CarolMN said:
Did anyone at the table bring up anything related to online booking, or the ability to check points status or availability online? Kind of wondering how they are coming with that project.

Best wishes -

These were actually addressed at his talk this morning and it is something that they are working hard on. He said that he is very very interested in the revamp of the web site.

"very very interested" is not the same as working very hard on the web site! I hope they are working as well as interested.

dianeschlicht said:
It will be interesting to see if it is better received than the old dining/activities plan was. I think that's why DVC did away with the old plan years ago. It just was not utilized that much.
Curious, didn't know there was a plan offered before. Can someone recollect the basic details?

I figure they'll announce a DVC option, tied into a MYW tix purchase the day after I break down & buy AP's :rotfl:

I am the MYW dining #1 DVC fan :banana:

dianeschlicht said:

I am curious, what plan was this? I only recall the Food and Fun Card - but that was not just for DVC members - that was for all resort guests at a price of course. If it is the same one you are talking about, we did utilize that plan alot and that is why they got rid of it - if you know what I mean. :banana:

dianeschlicht said:
The food n fun was a WDW plan not just DVC.

keishashadow said:
Curious, didn't know there was a plan offered before. Can someone recollect the basic details?

I figure they'll announce a DVC option, tied into a MYW tix purchase the day after I break down & buy AP's :rotfl:

I am the MYW dining #1 DVC fan :banana:
There were actually several versions.
In 1995 The main points initially were you got two sit down meals per day with an appetizer and desert plus recreation. Initially it was breakfast and Dinner, then breakfast OR lunch and dinner. The initially recreation included unlimited water sprites (an hour at a time I think), pontoon boats. fishing excursions (pay extra for live bait), trail rides and the like. I seem to recall the per person price around $47 at one point and $13.50 for kids. Changes over a year or two included taking the fishing away and substituting para sailing. It included gratuities AND tax. It was a 3 night minimum, for the entire LOS and all parties in that unit had to purchase it. In 1996 it evolved a lot with many individually small changes that on aggregate doomed the option as having little value.

Like the current dining plan it was limited to certain restaurants and premium restaurants were excluded except you could go to excluded restaurants and get a per meal credit of $30 per adult and $10 per child. The excluded list was similar to the signature restaurants on the current meal plan.

In 1996 they did institute limits on how much recreation like 2 one hour coupons per day. I did find the restaurant list for 1996 if anyone has questions as to specific restaurants included or not, just email or PM me.

In 1997 the plan was totally different. It was more of a prepaid meal plan where you paid $50 per day adult and got a credit of $55 per day ($22 cost and $25 credit for kids). You could not combine with other discounts like the DDE though I know some were able to at times. You got the recreation as a freebie but no more fishing excursions OR para sailing. It did not include tax or tips in this version or after though they could be deducted from your balance if you wanted.

In 1998 it was initially about the same then they totally removed all the recreation and it simply became a prepaid meal plan with a 10% discount and nothing else. Since the DDE was 20% and available at more places and the two could not be combined, the program was doomed at that point.

The DVC World of Dining plan was more inclusive and in 1995 was $93 for adults and $44 for children. I think this program was discontinued in 1996. If I recall correctly it was good for both character meals and dinner shows (FnF was only good for character meals). It was a 2 night minimum but for LOS and all in the party (I think as well).

Thanks for the info Dean, seems like WDW likes to tweak their offerings quite a bit (keeps us on our toes :)) .

My bad, I thought food and fun was DVC only. I guess I didn't use it anyway, so didn't pay too much attention to it. Oh, and yes, that's my house. Now you know why staying at VWL isn't what I want to do in Florida. ;)

Thanks for the update from the ship, you made my day! We are going in April and I have been keeping my fingers crossed, we only go every few years to WDW and love to enjoy the restaurants, so a dining plan would be fabulous for us.

I did not know as dvc member we could not get the dining plan I just called disney dining and was told I need to speak with MS of DVC. Thank you now my question is answered. The dining plan they offer is worth the 34.99 pp perday that they charge. We also have th DDE card for being annual passholders this year. But it would be nice to have meals included. :earsboy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter