Dining Plan Returning

Same issues with prior dining plans. Guests have to settle for alternate restaurants. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an increase in the number of 2 credit restaurants.
I was just going to say the same thing. It's always been a problem. I'm sure there are hundreds of posts somewhere on this board from people complaining that they were all set and ready to go at 6:00 a.m. (or whatever time you can make ADRs) and had their spouse all set up as well but they only got "x" of the ADRs they wanted and now "what are we going to do?????". And of course, they couldn't get the hard-to-get ADRs so now their vacations are ruined (I use that term loosely) and they will have to spend the next 60 days constantly watching for those ADRs to pop up.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there is an increase in the number of 2 credit restaurants. That will make other ADRs a little easier to get (of course it will probably shift some of the less popular restaurants to be harder to get as some people will avoid booking any 2-credit ADRs) and it will put more money in Disney's pocket as people on the dining plan who book 2-credit restaurants will most likely have to pay for a meal or two OOP.

The only way it is going to work is if they let them make reservations early
After further thought, DDP guests have already paid. They may have to take whatever is available.

Disney needs availability for cash guests. Those guests may turn to offsite, door dash or make due with QS.

IMO it has to be that way just for availability. I'm also expecting them to change many of the 1 credit places to 2 credits. Maybe even have a 3 credit tier.

Wouldn't it make sense to move to a variable pricing model that adjusts credits based on demand for each restaurant? I don't think just using 1 or 2 credits really makes much sense. Having a more finely tuned system would make more sense. With the current system everyone is just booking the best value in each credit category.

Think it will be:
Higher cost. MUCH higher.
Limited, only so many gst will be able to purchase per resort.
Different rules totally.
Limited to the number of guests willing to pay whatever it costs.

The biggest question is if Disney will offer some kind of free dining promotion.

Could be 1 free child for every adult. BOGO one free for every paid.

Limited to the number of guests willing to pay whatever it costs.

The biggest question is if Disney will offer some kind of free dining promotion.

Could be 1 free child for every adult. BOGO one free for every paid.
I could see that happening if bookings are as soft as forecast.

Wouldn't it make sense to move to a variable pricing model that adjusts credits based on demand for each restaurant? I don't think just using 1 or 2 credits really makes much sense. Having a more finely tuned system would make more sense. With the current system everyone is just booking the best value in each credit category.
I'd be happy if the TS meal was a 20% discount.

I could see that happening if bookings are as soft as forecast.

You just answered my question. I no longer live and breathe Disney like I did before, so I was left wondering if they are projecting a drop in attendance and bringing back DDP to boost the numbers. Where did you find that forecast of bookings?

You just answered my question. I no longer live and breathe Disney like I did before, so I was left wondering if they are projecting a drop in attendance and bringing back DDP to boost the numbers. Where did you find that forecast of bookings?
It's not posted anywhere. By looking at the things they have done recently in regards to discounts and bringing back APs. Now with the dining plan and advanced booking of Genie+ coming tells me bookings aren't looking strong any time soon. They don't do these things to appease guests, it's all about the money.

It's not posted anywhere. By looking at the things they have done recently in regards to discounts and bringing back APs. Now with the dining plan and advanced booking of Genie+ coming tells me bookings aren't looking strong any time soon. They don't do these things to appease guests, it's all about the money.
But this was kind of expected anyway, wasn't it? Lots of people were getting in their vacations that they could not go on for a couple of years. It was bound to settle down a bit. It will be nice to have some slower times again.

I don’t see that getting reservations will be any different than in the past. We went for ten days six years in a row, always got what we wanted. That said we traveled during value season, I made reservations as early as possible, we weren’t interested in character meals, and we like a wide variety of food.

But this was kind of expected anyway, wasn't it? Lots of people were getting in their vacations that they could not go on for a couple of years. It was bound to settle down a bit. It will be nice to have some slower times again.
It was expected to slow a bit but I don't think it was expected to get slow to point of bringing back APs. The fact APs never sold out tells me the pent up demand is ending

Does anybody happen to remember what the price per night was for the plans for kids and adults the last time they were available?

Will be very curious to see how the rate changes compare with desserts/a snack credit being taken away.
In February 2020, the deluxe plan was $119 per day for adults, and the flex plan was $94.60. I didn't price out the children's or quick service only. Our spreadsheet from that time indicated that we were wise not to do the dining plan, since our actual numbers (including tips) came in well under what the plan would have cost.

In February 2020, the deluxe plan was $119 per day for adults, and the flex plan was $94.60. I didn't price out the children's or quick service only. Our spreadsheet from that time indicated that we were wise not to do the dining plan, since our actual numbers (including tips) came in well under what the plan would have cost.
We have talked about this for many years, but I think that a lot of people still forget that they still have to tip, and that is based on the total. So if someone is getting the most expensive food(because it's "included"), plus the desert that they would not normally have ordered, plus the alcohol, that 20% tip adds up pretty quick. Things that are not typically thought of and included in the budget.

We have talked about this for many years, but I think that a lot of people still forget that they still have to tip, and that is based on the total. So if someone is getting the most expensive food(because it's "included"), plus the desert that they would not normally have ordered, plus the alcohol, that 20% tip adds up pretty quick. Things that are not typically thought of and included in the budget.

I agree. There are some "hidden/forgotten" costs when it comes to dining plans. The tips are a big one. And a lot of people don't eat all the food or wouldn't necessarily order an appetizer/dessert with every meal...or have an alcoholic beverage with every meal so they're paying for things that they wouldn't be paying for if they didn't get the dining plan and just paid OOP. I know some people -- through very careful planning in choosing the right meals at the right restaurants -- can come out ahead on the dining plan. But I think a very large number of people end up losing money on the dining plans and don't even realize it. And some *know* they'll lose money but just want everything to be pre-paid (I understand that). We're not one of those families who can save money on the dining plans and I'm very aware of that. We rarely eat dessert and while I occasionally have an alcoholic drink with dinner, those aren't things we do at every meal and especially not at every meal at Disney...in June....when it's very hot outside. We booked under the Summer Meal Deal one summer (2018, I think) which included one QS meal and one snack per day along with a refillable mug. Because there were 5 of us in the family at that time, this deal had the potential to save us more than the package discount at the time. But I knew I had to be selective about which meals I used the "free" credits for so that we saved the most money. I needed to focus using the meal credits on meals over a certain amount ($17??) to at least break even with the package discount we could have taken. I didn't think that would be a big deal, but it was. I got tired of keeping track of which meals to pay OOP for and which to use the dining plan for so by Day 3 of 7 I just gave up and used the credits for whatever meal we were purchasing (unless someone was ordering a kids meal). We did end up saving about 10% more than we would have if we took the package discount instead, but it was a headache for me. If that deal is offered again, I would have to think long and hard about it.

I agree. There are some "hidden/forgotten" costs when it comes to dining plans. The tips are a big one. And a lot of people don't eat all the food or wouldn't necessarily order an appetizer/dessert with every meal...or have an alcoholic beverage with every meal so they're paying for things that they wouldn't be paying for if they didn't get the dining plan and just paid OOP. I know some people -- through very careful planning in choosing the right meals at the right restaurants -- can come out ahead on the dining plan. But I think a very large number of people end up losing money on the dining plans and don't even realize it. And some *know* they'll lose money but just want everything to be pre-paid (I understand that). We're not one of those families who can save money on the dining plans and I'm very aware of that. We rarely eat dessert and while I occasionally have an alcoholic drink with dinner, those aren't things we do at every meal and especially not at every meal at Disney...
This is us. If I do dessert, I prefer it to be later as more of a snack somewhere rather than immediately after a meal. It's rare I will have alcohol with dinner and never with lunch.

We were on the fence about the dining plan the last time we went, so I priced it out and set aside an averaged number between the flex and the regular plan as our dining budget, using the actual restaurant menus to figure out a general cost per person. We ended up doing 10 TS and one signature over 9 days, so it would have been 12 TS credits. We also got the refillable mugs (only the 10yo used his, really), and ate whatever snacks we wanted. Our total for 10 days (airport food included both directions) was $1000 less than our budget. And we had managed to throw in a dessert party and tips in that cost.

I like the ease of having the DDP prepaid for so it's one less thing to juggle, but as long as you designate part of the planning specifically for food you should be able to see if it's worth it for the party.

I wonder if folks the bought the plan (full price) for "convenience" will do so again?

This is us. If I do dessert, I prefer it to be later as more of a snack somewhere rather than immediately after a meal. It's rare I will have alcohol with dinner and never with lunch.

We were on the fence about the dining plan the last time we went, so I priced it out and set aside an averaged number between the flex and the regular plan as our dining budget, using the actual restaurant menus to figure out a general cost per person. We ended up doing 10 TS and one signature over 9 days, so it would have been 12 TS credits. We also got the refillable mugs (only the 10yo used his, really), and ate whatever snacks we wanted. Our total for 10 days (airport food included both directions) was $1000 less than our budget. And we had managed to throw in a dessert party and tips in that cost.

I like the ease of having the DDP prepaid for so it's one less thing to juggle, but as long as you designate part of the planning specifically for food you should be able to see if it's worth it for the party.

I basically do what you did to figure out dining costs. I assume the price of the QS dining plan and then add a little bit more depending on how many TS meals we plan to do (usually only 1 or 2). That total is the amount I budget (I use that term loosely -- it's really more like a "guesstimate") for food. We drive to Disney so we bring breakfast stuff for the room, though we do usually eat breakfast in the resort food court at least once or twice during our stay. My guesstimate is always more than enough to cover all of our meals at Disney *plus* the food I bring for breakfast in the room. But I *totally* understand people wanting everything pre-paid (though I always recommend just putting the cost of a dining plan on a gift card or keeping that amount set aside in a bank account to pay off the credit card (might as well earn some rewards! :D ) when the trip is over.

Another note, I've seen some people say they never use the refillable mugs that are included with the dining plan; so when they go to the QS restaurant to claim them, they get them activated and then give them to a family looking at buying mugs.

I wonder if folks the bought the plan (full price) for "convenience" will do so again?

I'm wondering, too. But I'm pretty sure the answer will be "yes", because some people are willing to pay for convenience. I'll admit our family is willing to pay for convenience some times (not with the Disney dining plans, though. :D ). There's an amusement park a few hours from here that doesn't charge admission. You pay for rides with tickets or by purchasing an all-day ride pass. You really need to get on a lot of rides to break even with the all-day ride pass (especially if you pay for the more expensive one that includes all of the roller coasters), but when our kids were tweens/teens, we always bought them the all-day pass so that they could just go and do what they wanted for hours at a time, while DH & I would buy a book or two of tickets and go do our thing (which mostly consisted of sitting on a bench somewhere and people watching...and eating snacks). We know we always lost money on the all-day passes (I always did a cost analysis when we got home), but it was worth it for the convenience for the kids.

PS. I love your tag line! I feel like I need to say that to someone every single day. I also used to like to do the, "let me Google that for you" links....like this: Disney Dining Plan. Those were fun. :D

Most definitely. It is all mental for them. Like those who post that they prefer not to see the bill and to just know that it is already "taken care of". Which is funny since the original goal for most of these people is that they don't want to spend that kind of money, but happily spend even more so that they don't have to SEE that they are spending that kind of money. I personally don't get that because my ultimate goal is to spend as little as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter