Direct Purchase benefits announced!

Thanks for the heads up.

Here's a link to the article on DVCNews.com:
http://dvcnews.com/index.php/news-p...dvc-to-create-direct-purchase-benefit-program

The new program should not affect my family too much with future resale purchases, as we cruise on a different cruise line and probably will never visit the international Disney resorts anyway. It looks like Aulani and Grand Californian will still be available to us, as well as all of the Orlando properties, VB, and HHI. Also, it appears the booking windows have not changed. So functionally this will not affect how we personally use our points at all.

Ah, I wasn't sure if we could post the link to the other site. I am in ROFR right now so we will be ok if we make it...but I'm wondering, since we weren't going to use the points for that stuff anyway, if we should let the contract go because prices will almost certainly drop, right? I mean the points will be less versatile so you'd think so anyway.

Ah, I wasn't sure if we could post the link to the other site. I am in ROFR right now so we will be ok if we make it...but I'm wondering, since we weren't going to use the points for that stuff anyway, if we should let the contract go because prices will almost certainly drop, right? I mean the points will be less versatile so you'd think so anyway.
I can't predict what prices will do in the long run with this news, but they will most certainly go up from now until around mid-February due to the frenzy of folks wanting to get in before the March 20 closing deadline. If anybody wanted to sell their extra points, I suspect now would be a good time.

Interesting way to go about things. I think the biggest drawback of this program is the loss of use for cruises.

Not that using points for cruises should be your main goal, but anyone who at least wanted to be able to do it on occasion will not have that benefit.

It certainly could make someone who was buying resale consider going direct.

I wonder how this will affect a family transfer. If I leave my DVC points to the kids in my will, would that be considered a resale?:confused3

It certainly could make someone who was buying resale consider going direct.
I agree. And with greater demand for direct purchases, the chance of low-priced resale contracts being ROFR'd increases as well... which in turn increases the price required for a contract to pass ROFR... and thus lessens the benefit of purchasing resale versus direct. All in all, this might be a good thing for owners, though it might not seem so now. Prices have been steadily dropping on the older resorts, and this may very well increase the value of our existing points in the long run.

I wonder how this will affect a family transfer. If I leave my DVC points to the kids in my will, would that be considered a resale?:confused3
Hopefully, I will outlive the duration of all of our resale purchases. I suppose as hubby and I get older, we will just add the kids on as associates for our remaining contracts rather than transferring the titles. Or perhaps we can retitle them now to list our names AND the kids' names so that when we die, the contracts automatically pass to them with no reduction in benefits.

Imho, this will push resale prices down and in turn will hurt Disney in the end and us in turn. So unless they plan to ROFR a ton of points to keep value high this is a stupid move on their part. Because now when i make my resale offer i will offer less based on the fact they are now only useful for Disney Property DVC resorts and the resale companies will have to disclose this change to potential buyers (and sellers). This is like buying a house but not having any rights to the land...

I knew it was coming but i still think it is a poor choice on their part.

An inheritance is not resale (no money changed hands) and i doubt you have anything to be concerned about. :-)

Because now when i make my resale offer i will offer less based on the fact they are now only useful for Disney Property DVC resorts and the resale companies will have to disclose this change to potential buyers (and sellers).
Resale contracts that close after March 20 will also still be eligible for RCI trades as well as travel to VB, HHI, Aulani and GCV, so there is still some flexibility. Owners will not have to go to WDW every year to utilize their points.

i'm less than thrilled by this. we are waiting on ROFR right now. we own at SSR through resale. in the future we will probably do more add ons. i'm pretty certain that we are only going to use the pts for DVC stays at WDW but...who knows? we haven't been members long enough to know if we are going to want to use points for cruises, etc.

i get why disney is doing this but it just kinda feels like it's just one more thing they are taking away.

oh well. guess that means we'll just have to use our future points that we buy to stay at WDW. darn! ;)

The article says that more info will be posted to DVCmember.com, but you can only access that if you are a current DVC member. Will someone post the info here when it goes up over there?

I really do not see this as having much impact unless the points required for cruises and ABD and such are lowered now.........Laura

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter