DIS Dads Brag Wall

My brag for today - our congregation has a Chili Cook-Off every year (it's a fundraiser for youth programs). I used to enter every year. Last year, I was out of town until just before the cook-off, so I missed it. On the way home, The Bug announced that she was going to enter on her own next time. I reminded her that she didn't like chili, and she answered that she was going to come up with something different -- a dessert chili.

So tonight was put up or shut up time, and she pulled it off big time. She won both Best Under 21 Chili AND Best Overall Chili. DW helped her with some things (they made pudding and cake from scratch for it, and The Bug doesn't get to use the stove by herself yet). But all of the decisions were The Bug's - she even rejected a couple of my suggestions.

I'm pretty proud of DW too. She sold a bunch of food items in the silent auction - a custom birthday cake, a made-to-order cheesecake, and (working with a friend) a dozen chocolate babka. Her entries earned about $300 for youth programs, all by themselves!

I might need the recipe. I host a chili cook-off here at work every year and I've entered a chili about 3 or 4 times. Never won. Never even got a vote except my own vote. I've been scouring food network.com for a recipe. I didn't realize we had an expert in our midst the whole time!!

We had an eventful weekend. My boy went and got himself involved with a new (for him) facet of the music program he loves so much. Now we’re into a type of competitive performance known as “Indoor Percussion”. If you’ve never run across this animal, it’s similar to a marching band competition except (and as the name would imply), just the folks in the percussion section are presenting the show (but it includes xylophones, marimbas, keyboards and anything else you care to haul with you… just no horns). His school only started participating in this particular verity of competition last year, but these kids just pulled off a stunning 4th place finish in a regional event against twenty other schools from five states.

Like I said this is a new venue for us as Max is normally a Low-Brass player. But the unit needed to fill 25 positions including 5 folks on cymbals. Being as it’s fairly easy to learn the 30 or so basic techniques required for that particular type of brass… they recruited some of the kids with the best marching and motion skills and upper body strength required to wield the things on the move while executing the cerography needed (which lead them to pull in a number of tuba and baritone players).

We saw some really amazing performances this weekend from groups out of the Carolinas, Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia. Honestly we were just hoping to be good enough to make the finals round, but the kids put up two amazing performances and beat out a lot of far more experienced groups. That’s way beyond anything we ever considered and we’re just tickled for ‘em. If you curious as to what I’m on about this timee… here are a few images of what their work looks like (if I’m just wasting your time then feel free to skip on down to the next post… I won’t mind).

WGI-DormanRegional05.jpg

WGI-DormanRegional04.jpg

WGI-DormanRegional03.jpg

WGI-DormanRegional02.jpg

WGI-DormanRegional01.jpg

On the year DS has accumulated a third state marching championship, an appearance in the Macy’s parade, a second chair position in a regional honors band and still has a whole bunch of stuff coming up (I just wish he worked as hard in some of the academics, but then again… music is where we wants to go professionally so I should be pleased).

All right I’m done bothering y’all with this foolishness.
You can go on about your business now.

We had an eventful weekend. My boy went and got himself involved with a new (for him) facet of the music program he loves so much. Now we’re into a type of competitive performance known as “Indoor Percussion”. If you’ve never run across this animal, it’s similar to a marching band competition except (and as the name would imply), just the folks in the percussion section are presenting the show (but it includes xylophones, marimbas, keyboards and anything else you care to haul with you… just no horns). His school only started participating in this particular verity of competition last year, but these kids just pulled off a stunning 4th place finish in a regional event against twenty other schools from five states.

All right I’m done bothering y’all with this foolishness.

Congrats. Great pictures. Great brag.

We had an eventful weekend. My boy went and got himself involved with a new (for him) facet of the music program he loves so much. ...All right I’m done bothering y’all with this foolishness.

Good job! Always great to see the youth involved in meaningful activities and following through.

Our son graduated from college this past December, East Stroudsburg University in PA. Major in Sports Management, Minor in Business Admin. 3.3 GPA. Now he just needs to find a job in his field. Anyone know of a pro team, major venue or large school, HS or College, that could use a bright young fella with an encyclopedic knowledge of sports (and Pro Wrestling).

Our son graduated from college this past December, East Stroudsburg University in PA. Major in Sports Management, Minor in Business Admin. 3.3 GPA. Now he just needs to find a job in his field. Anyone know of a pro team, major venue or large school, HS or College, that could use a bright young fella with an encyclopedic knowledge of sports (and Pro Wrestling).

Excellent work and I hope he finds something interesting in the near term.

There are a lot of schools down here that would love to have more talented coaching… but sadly, there are very few with the budget to add staff. Mostly, we’re cutting positions all around. Some of the smaller school districts might be interested in having someone younger in an A/D position, but their reasoning would be to offer a lower salary in exchange for the opportunity to gain experience.

Max done Good! :thumbsup2

Brag On Rob, Brag On!

Congrats. Great pictures. Great brag.

Good job! Always great to see the youth involved in meaningful activities and following through.

Thanks guys. We are certainly proud of the work they’re doing. Next contest is in three weeks. That’s a good bit of time for continued improvement.

While I’m here…
A couple of folks actually thought to record the performance (which technically we’re not supposed to do) and posted it up to YouTube. Now I’m not expecting anyone to rush out and watch this, but I wanted to provide the opportunity. What you’ll see is not necessarily what you’d expect from a percussion unit. The main musical theme woven into the show is actually based on “Amazing Grace”, and they have put together a very expressive performance.

Great job! Hope he finds something soon in his field.

Congrats to him. Congrats to you as well. DO you have any more children in college?

Just had to stop by to brag on DD16 a bit. We go the letter in the mail yesterday that she has been accepted to the Virginia Governor's School for Science & Technology! Many apply, but only 60 total from 10 local high schools get chosen to attend.

She really wanted this and I'm so glad that she made it. It also helps with future college prospects both from the resume and possibilities for scholarships. :cool1:

I'm so very proud of her! :woohoo:

Congratulations to your DD on a great achievement and to the rest of you for working with her to help her accomplish it!

Just had to stop by to brag on DD16 a bit. We go the letter in the mail yesterday that she has been accepted to the Virginia Governor's School for Science & Technology! Many apply, but only 60 total from 10 local high schools get chosen to attend.

She really wanted this and I'm so glad that she made it. It also helps with future college prospects both from the resume and possibilities for scholarships. :cool1:

Congrats.

At the Kentucky State Junior Bible Quiz this weekend,

DS got 1st place individual - "A" League Bronze Division. Team took 2nd place.

DD got 1st place individual - "B" League Silver Division. Team took 3rd place.

Both of them scored over 90% of the points for their respective teams.

This is only the second year DS and DD have done this going up against kids that have been doing this for anywhere from 4-7 years.

That's Impressive! Congrats to both! :thumbsup2

And a GREAT use of your 1000th post! Congrats to you! Glad to have you around.

This is only the second year DS and DD have done this going up against kids that have been doing this for anywhere from 4-7 years.

Congrats. Something I need to spend more time with my dds - reading the bible.

And you ought to be.
Great news and a proper recognition for a great deal of very hard work.

Sound like y’all had a very fine weekend.
Congratulations to both of your young’ens.

:banana::cheer2:

Nicely done. Being in VA, I know about the Gov School. My wife went to the one for Spanish and loved it. We have high hopes for our young ones as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter