Disappointing Adult Cruise On The Dream

Thanks for your thoughts! We actually did the express walk off with our own luggage, but after breakfast. The line was enormous, and stretched and turned for an incredible distance. For us it was about a 45 minute wait. Pretty bad.

Cabanas, for us, was a big big disappointment, in terms of variety, quality, choice of offerings, just about everything. I think we’re spoiled by the new layouts and the multiple “islands” and sheer size of some of the other lines where the quality is considerably higher. I expected to pay a Disney premium, which we certainly did, but for that I truly expected something special, and was surprised when the buffet itself felt a bit low end.

Yeesh. A 45 minute wait? Was that all on board or on board through customs?

I haven't been on the Dream in forever so I don't remember Cabanas. I did however thoroughly enjoy the buffet on the Wish. But I'm easy to please. A plate of cocktail shrimp, a charcuterie board and POG Juice, and I'm a happy person.

1714678686995.png

And we were repeatedly told to go to the dining room in which we ate the night before for breakfast, with Cabanas never being mentioned. So that makes me think that Disney might have been deliberately steering us toward a way more inconvenient and unpleasant option to get us off the ship faster.
They absolutely do this. We never eat in the MDR, but new cruisers often do not know this is an option.

Yeesh. A 45 minute wait? Was that all on board or on board through customs?

I haven't been on the Dream in forever so I don't remember Cabanas. I did however thoroughly enjoy the buffet on the Wish. But I'm easy to please. A plate of cocktail shrimp, a charcuterie board and POG Juice, and I'm a happy person.

View attachment 856525
The 45 min wait was all on the ship! And that’s not including the perilous journey through an absolute mass of unmoving people with our bags up from the Enchanted Garden, via an elevator at least 30-40 people were waiting for, and then to the express walk off line that stretched all the way around the shops and then back to the Atrium. There were at least another two or three hundred or so people just standing in the atrium waiting for their debark group to be called, I guess. What a crappy last impression for Disney to leave with their guests!

With the new facial recognition software, there was basically zero wait at customs. Just a machine you stared into for less than a second, then a flashing approval to proceed. With Disney’s love for technology, you’d think they might have adopted this to make life a little easier for all of us getting off the ship.

Am so disappointed about our experience on the Dream! I had assumed we’d love it, and had already booked a quick cruise in September, once again just prior to a WDW stay, on the Wonder that stopped at Lighthouse Point. Cancelled it today. Ugh!

Thanks for your thoughts! We actually did the express walk off with our own luggage, but after breakfast. The line was enormous, and stretched and turned for an incredible distance. For us it was about a 45 minute wait. Pretty bad.
Crazy. We walked right off last week (on the Magic), just before 8:00. There was only one person in front of us at customs too.

I agree with many of your points. The family pools on Disney are much too small and lead to horrible over crowding. We have always had a great experience at the adult pools though-quiet and easy to find a chair but I'm sure that is sailing dependent.

We also find the main dining room food to be disappointing but fine for what it is-massed produced 'banquet' type food. We absolutely love Remy though and enjoy Palo. Late dining would definitely give you a more relaxed experience. The first of course has more young children on top of them needing to get everyone out to prepare for late (we prefer late-even our young children do).

I think the adult areas come down to personal preference. We actually really enjoy them (Pink and Skyline on the Dream). The classic ships though have lovely piano bars (Keys and the Cadillac Lounge) that we really enjoy and those do have large portholes rather than being tucked in the interior.

My husband and I are sailing Celebrity this summer and are curious to see the difference. I'm hoping for better food but expecting the shows to not be up the the DCL production quality.

I Am so disappointed about our experience on the Dream! I had assumed we’d love it, and had already booked a quick cruise in September, once again just prior to a WDW stay, on the Wonder that stopped at Lighthouse Point. Cancelled it today. Ugh!
I totally understand if you don't want to give it another shot but a cruise on the Wonder would be a different experience, especially in September. I love the Wonder! The smaller size is lovely and you can feel the difference with less people. We also found the food to be much better than the Dream (the Dream is the worst food we have had on Disney). The Cadillac Lounge may be more to your liking since it isn't an interior bar and you have large portholes with views to the ocean. September should also have less children so likely a more enjoyable environment from your packed Dream sailing.

I agree with many of your points. The family pools on Disney are much too small and lead to horrible over crowding. We have always had a great experience at the adult pools though-quiet and easy to find a chair but I'm sure that is sailing dependent.

We also find the main dining room food to be disappointing but fine for what it is-massed produced 'banquet' type food. We absolutely love Remy though and enjoy Palo. Late dining would definitely give you a more relaxed experience. The first of course has more young children on top of them needing to get everyone out to prepare for late (we prefer late-even our young children do).

I think the adult areas come down to personal preference. We actually really enjoy them (Pink and Skyline on the Dream). The classic ships though have lovely piano bars (Keys and the Cadillac Lounge) that we really enjoy and those do have large portholes rather than being tucked in the interior.

My husband and I are sailing Celebrity this summer and are curious to see the difference. I'm hoping for better food but expecting the shows to not be up the the DCL production quality.
We actually love Celebrity. We book an Aqua Class stateroom for spa access, which is a little pricey but nowhere the cost for Concierge, which gives us access to a restaurant called Blu for our main dining. It’s fantastic.
The buffet is also wonderful.

We actually love Celebrity. We book an Aqua Class stateroom for spa access, which is a little pricey but nowhere the cost for Concierge, which gives us access to a restaurant called Blu for our main dining. It’s fantastic.

Have you sailed the edge class ships in an infinity verandah? We have one booked for Alaska this August and I don't love the idea of them as much as a regular verandah.

Hey everyone!

First of all, my wife and I are huge Disney fans, happy DVC owners, and don’t have kids. Over the last several years, I’ve read a bunch of enthusiastic reviews of Disney Cruise Line, listened to equally glowing podcasts from podcasters turned travel agents, and watched endless positive YouTube videos on the subject. Having done my homework, I thought it would be fun, prior to a DVC vacation at WDW, to take a five night cruise on the Dream in late April of this year. Alas, our experience failed to match, or even come close, to our expectations.

Having sailed on pretty much all the cruise lines, we’re pretty experienced cruisers. I thought it would be helpful to list some positive and negatives concerning our experience. I’m also genuinely curious if we’re being too critical, or perhaps making unfair judgements. There were, of course, tons of kids and families who were obviously having a great time.

THE GOOD

1. The design of our ship was beautiful. The central atrium is a wonder to behold. The woodwork and attention to detail throughout the ship, as well as all the fun paintings and artwork, made the environment feel really special. Our cabin, a balcony veranda, though small, was clean, well maintained, and nicely designed.

2. Service and friendliness were mostly superlative. Almost every crew member seemed happy to be there, and was always happy to answer questions and help out. Our stateroom attendants were great.

3. Our two ports, Grand Cayman and Castaway Cay, were beautiful and a blast to visit.

4. The shows were fun. Loved the fireworks!

5. Dinner at Palo was delicious. What a nice spot to have a meal!

6. The adult area at the front of the ship was quiet and nice. When it got windy, though, it would close and there was really nowhere else to go. The adult only pool wasn’t really for us because it was crowded and loud.

THE BAD

1. Of course we were prepared for lots of kids, but the main pool area on sea days was almost unbelievably crowded with a solid, monumentally packed together mass of kids and families. This being Disney, it’s probably not a fair criticism, but for us it was really off putting. We stayed away from it.

2. The food in the dining rooms and Cabanas, the buffet, was below average. As I’ve mentioned, we’ve been on almost every cruise line. I don’t think we were wrong to expect better from Disney.

3. My wife and I were lucky to get a table for two for the early seating. But it was made clear to us that this is normally almost impossible, so we shouldn’t ever expect it again. That alone would keep us away in the future. Why was it even listed as a request on the pre cruise app?

4. The atrium, though beautiful, is under utilized. On other cruise lines it’s the lively center of the ship, where something is always happening, and there is fun to be had. On the Dream it seemed like a big, weird dead space, mostly empty during the day except for character meet and greets.

5. The adult bar entertainment area, “The District,” was a series of windowless dark caverns. Weird.

THE UGLY

1. Every meal in the dining rooms was incredibly rushed. Food was delivered almost instantaneously and replaced with the next dish almost immediately after it was finished, so the experience was never particularly pleasant or relaxing. I guess that’s better than waiting forever, as we occasionally have on other lines, but still not optimum.

2. Our waiter and assistant waiter were friendly and competent, which was fine, but didn’t really go out of their way to make the dining experience special. Not great, but no big deal. But on the second to last night of the cruise, they both walked up to the table with stern, concerned expressions and stood there awkwardly. After a long uncomfortable pause, they launched into an long uncomfortable dissertation on the fact that we would be receiving a questionnaire in our state room, and, pretty much, their jobs, well being, and potential contract renewals depended on us giving them all 10s.

We’ve all had this from sales people in other environments, but on a Disney ship, on vacation, in the middle of dinner? For us, this was beyond weird and we really didn’t like it. It made us as uncomfortable as they obviously were. And, of course, we were manipulated into promising them the scores they wanted. Of course this falls on Disney creating a ship board culture where crew members are forced to do this, but still. Guests should not be put in this situation. And it made us wonder how much darkness lies behind the magic.

3. Debarkation. A mad, chaotic, crowded, disorganized nightmare and the worst we’ve ever experienced. The atrium and lower levels were packed with what felt like thousands of people and their luggage, milling about, not knowing what to do, pressing against each other, jostling about. The buffet, Cabanas, was inexplicably closed, unlike any other cruise ship that we’ve ever sailed on, so guests were forced to lug their bags down to breakfast in the dining rooms, leave them indiscriminately piled up outside, then lug them (at least for us) up a deck to wait in an endless, snaking line to disembark. It felt almost apocalyptic. Why would Disney ever allow this to happen??

I actually asked a female crew member, who seemed to have some responsibility, if it was always like this. She snapped, “there are four thousand people on the ship, I think you’ll survive.”

Uh yeah, I guess I’ll survive, and that was the last magical memory my wife and I had interacting with a cast member.

Anyway, that’s my story! But both my wife and I are genuinely curious. Are we overreacting? Are we being too critical? We still have some positive memories from it, and frankly hate to carry away any negativity. And, for what’s it’s worth, we took the Brightline up to Orlando (great experience), and are now having a great time at WDW!
Went once. Had an incredible stateroom -it was HA room; we didn't need it; just what they gave us - HUGE - 2 separate showers and tubs. Deck held 4 lounge chairs, a table with 4 chairs and double that in open space. It was at the stern. The closet was big enough to be an escape room. Living room with a couch.

Figured out on Day 3 - it is all the same mediocre to bad food with a different name based on the restaurant.

Disembarking was a nightmare. We had to be up at 5:00 a.m. and it took forever.

Wonderful to hear! We actually have a Concierge room booked on Celebrity because the cost was only $2 more than a regular verandah. I know it has very few benefits but for the price it definitely made sense! I debated Aqua but we're doing this trip as a budget vacation so I couldn't justify the additional cost.

Have you sailed the edge class ships in an infinity verandah? We have one booked for Alaska this August and I don't love the idea of them as much as a regular verandah.
Yes we have! Though we like balconies a little better too, the infinity verandah does make the usable space of the cabin interior considerably larger, and as a change of pace they’re also unique and a lot of fun. I don’t know if you’ll be a convert or not, but if you go in open minded, I bet you’ll enjoy it.

I guess what I’m most disappointed in are all the fawning reviews from podcasters whose opinion I truly respect. For us, the cruise line just didn’t measure up.
[/QUOTE]
The Podcaster or reviewers may have reasons for not fully revealing their criticisms. So you learned not to believe everything on the internet. Of course I don't know who you listen to so that may not be the case.

None of your comments are original. They've been discussed before. I agree with some and.disagree with some. Some go in the "duh" category like comments on kids. And for me some are in the no big deal category.

But i do think your evaluation is certainly reasonable and accurate.

Mostly I wish they would up the food level a bit. But as long passengers continue to give servers top evaluations Disney won't get the message . They will go into their staff meetings with execs showing the glowing reports from their divisions and get a pat on the back.

Overall I have found enough advantages to continue with DCL. Sorry you had such a negative experience.

Platinum DCL here. Until this winter all our DCL cruises were on Magic or Wonder. We love, love, love them.

Then we did the Fantasy and had many of the same observations as you. School was in session so not SO many kids but adult pool was a mess - same set of partiers took up chairs and pool sides most days. I did enjoy Satellite Falls and I bought the rain forest pass for the entire cruise so that was nice.

But, I totally agree on speed of MDR service - I sometimes felt like they were just frisbee-throwing the food at me. We used to always do late dining but DH has some health issues that require early dining so that may have been the difference. Our servers were not particularly personable.

I also hated the adult entertainment areas - dark lumpy hallways, really lacking entertainment variety compared to previous sailings.

Cabanas food doesn't bother me ...I have cereal and fruit for breakfast and shrimp for lunch. It's still good.

The upstairs portion of the atrium, where there used to be seats and coffee tables has been taken over by the photo sales. What a waste.

We have sailed Holland America (nice but we avoided MDR and it has its own issues especially in entertainment), Ponant (amazing - but much smaller ships so not the same), Tauck (also amazing but more for itinerary and amenities).

Anyway, that’s my story! But both my wife and I are genuinely curious. Are we overreacting? Are we being too critical? We still have some positive memories from it, and frankly hate to carry away any negativity. And, for what’s it’s worth, we took the Brightline up to Orlando (great experience), and are now having a great time at WDW!
A lot to digest and :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 for your report, as far as *overreacting?*, IMO likely not if expectations for $$$ spent were not met

We did an Oceania Caribbean and while the cruise experience was OK we were slightly disappointed because our expectations for cruising at Penthouse Level were not fulfilled. The reason why we don't cruise DCL any longer is because we feel that the overall experience for dollars spent is simply below our acceptable level. We don't cruise for "the decor or theme or dining rotations or character meets or *the MAGIC*" but instead for the not having to "DO" what the daily needs are at home so it's just relaxation and CHILL SOME MORE. Shows are simply entertainment and need not be Broadway Level, as long as my tummy is full I'm happy and lobster matters not.

Hope your future cruises are better.

The OP brings up some valid points.

We love DCL, but our first DCL cruise we experienced some of the same surprises (shocks?).

This is how we solved the issues for us on subsequent DCL cruises:

1. Chaotic debarkation: book a concierge room (get priority walk-off)

2. Rushed dinner: get late dining (2nd seating)...never rushed

3. Tons of kids (and we love kids!): we now cruise in September (when most are in school)

4. Private table for dinner: see #1 (concierge gets prioritized for private table requests)

Other: we smile politely when they ask about the surveys (then ignore), and we like the DCL atriums.

Best wishes on your future cruises.

Of course we were prepared for lots of kids, but the main pool area on sea days was almost unbelievably crowded with a solid, monumentally packed together mass of kids and families. This being Disney, it’s probably not a fair criticism, but for us it was really off putting. We stayed away from it.

Only thing from your review that was a little odd as there is an adults only section, and you were off put of the amount of kids on a Disney ship…? Disney is essentially for children, and for children at heart. I love seeing the kids having the time of their lives, but maybe that’s a perspective from a dad? Either way there was a retreat for adults.

I think it can be true that the people you've watched on youtube or whatever genuinely loved their experience, but it was not for you.

Some of what you described sounds like a fluke -- I've never had a cast member be rude like the one you described at disembarkation, that would definitely sour my experience. Same with the rushed dinner; I feel like more often than not the service feels slow rather than too fast so I think this varies a lot based on serving team.

Some of what you described is ship-dependent; I agree that the adult district on the Dream is sort of dark and cavernous. The Magic and Wonder have smaller but brighter adult districts, and the equivalent area on the Fantasy at least as a bit more interesting theming IMHO.

And some of what you described really is a part of the Disney experience and it's fine if it's not for you. There will always be a mass of kids in the pool. The food is tricky -- I do feel like sometimes I find the food to be really good and sometimes it's just ok, and I don't know how much of that is variation by ship vs getting tired of certain menu items. It wouldn't surprise me at all though if some of the more adult-oriented cruise lines had better food.

Thanks for your honest review. I think your point about kids is very valid. It’s difficult to know before you experience it how it would affect your enjoyment of a Disney cruise that the ship is hopping with kids in an area (especially the pool deck as you described). So your experience is a good warning.

I do feel that some of your criticisms might be less of an issue on the classics. There the adults and kids are more separated. The bars have windows and they are lovely places to sit during the day. The adult pool are feels larger and more spacious. There is seating on the upper levels of the atrium.

Our experience in 7 cruises is that we have always gotten a table for two. But we have late dining which isn’t an option for us. I am shocked that you were told to be happy to have an exception! That in itself is a service failure.

We prefer the sit down lunch and breakfast over the chaos of Cabanas and feel that the food quality is a bit better.

I am sorry that you didn’t love your cruise, but hope you will have many more wonderful cruises on other lines!

Our last two cruises have been adults only on the Magic and the Wish and were fantastic. Fun to see the kids with the characters but stayed away from the main pool. We spent our time in the adult areas and had late dining, which we did not think we would like but now wouldn’t have it any other way.

Different strokes for different folks. But we find DCL to be a great adult only vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter