Discovery Cove - Dolphin Buoy :(

dizzyr

DIS Veteran
So I called just now to book Discovery Cove and I had decided on the elite package for $379 because it included the photo package so I figured for the additional $160 it was worth it to get the cabana and the dolphin delivery. I booked 4 dolphin swims, 2 Sea Ventures and the Elite package.

I was going to have them say something with my daughters names and have the dolphin deliver it to both of them and they could keep the buoy in their room as a decoration. When I told the person on the phone that, she said that only one person can be in the water when it’s delivered. Well how can I choose between them? The other one will be devastated. She said they could just not have it delivered by the dolphin and have it waiting in the cabana but I said then it’s just a buoy with their name on it and that’s certainly not worth the extra money.

It put me in such a dither I told her to cancel everything! She said the whole day or just the package and I said the whole thing since I was only booking so far ahead because the cabanas and packages are limited but if it’s just the swim I can book later. Then she said I should book now because they do sell out and the price is based on availability. When I originally told her the date she said "Wow you're really planning ahead" - I hate how they try to scare you into booking now. We're not going until Nov and it's off season so I think I can wait a bit.

I’m so disappointed about the buoy thing – I wasn’t going to do it originally because of the cost but once I started thinking about how much they’d love it and decided it was worth the money I had my heart set on it :(

Wow, I did not know alot about the buoy delivery and am glad you found this out and shared. I thought it would be during our dolphin time, with me and the kids. Hmm, I have 2 kids that I thought would both enjoy getting it from the dolphin. I haven't booked the cabana package yet, as I am still on the fence about the cost. I thought the buoy was a nice decoration to keep. Hmm. Must talk to my kids.

Sorry that it did not turn out to what you wanted.

So I called just now to book Discovery Cove and I had decided on the elite package for $379 because it included the photo package so I figured for the additional $160 it was worth it to get the cabana and the dolphin delivery. I booked 4 dolphin swims, 2 Sea Ventures and the Elite package.

I was going to have them say something with my daughters names and have the dolphin deliver it to both of them and they could keep the buoy in their room as a decoration. When I told the person on the phone that, she said that only one person can be in the water when it’s delivered. Well how can I choose between them? The other one will be devastated. She said they could just not have it delivered by the dolphin and have it waiting in the cabana but I said then it’s just a buoy with their name on it and that’s certainly not worth the extra money.

It put me in such a dither I told her to cancel everything! She said the whole day or just the package and I said the whole thing since I was only booking so far ahead because the cabanas and packages are limited but if it’s just the swim I can book later. Then she said I should book now because they do sell out and the price is based on availability. When I originally told her the date she said "Wow you're really planning ahead" - I hate how they try to scare you into booking now. We're not going until Nov and it's off season so I think I can wait a bit.

I’m so disappointed about the buoy thing – I wasn’t going to do it originally because of the cost but once I started thinking about how much they’d love it and decided it was worth the money I had my heart set on it :(

We love Discovery Cove. We found ourselves so busy that we were always on the move and wouldn't have used a cabana. DC was correct that the dolphin can only deliver the buoy to one person. Otherwise, people would have their 4 kids in the water wishing them Happy Birthday simultaneously etc.

Don't let this get you down. It's such a wonderful day! We went in December and they had cabana's available as you were checking in. If you are going around Thanksgiving that may be different.

The reason she gave me was that the dolphin gets confused who to deliver it to if there is more than one person in the water :(

They don't mean only 1 person in the water. It is during your swim. Only 1 person can accept the buoy from the dolphin. 2 people would confuse the dolphin since they are used to 1 person=1buoy. Hope this clarifies.

They don't mean only 1 person in the water. It is during your swim. Only 1 person can accept the buoy from the dolphin. 2 people would confuse the dolphin since they are used to 1 person=1buoy. Hope this clarifies.

She specifically told me only one of the kids could be in the water.

The reason she gave me was that the dolphin gets confused who to deliver it to if there is more than one person in the water :(

That makes sense. How would the Dolphin know which child has which name.

Seriously though....don't let it get you down. It is such a wonderful time! Just think of all the money you will be saving. ;)

We went the Friday after Thanksgiving 2010 and believe we only booked the week before, if not the week of. And when we got there, after breakfast time (I'm thinking about 10 am), we still got a dolphin swim around 1 pm, so I don't even think it was completely booked for the day.

Are you planning on doing one buoy or two? If you're doing two, then maybe ask if you could you have one daughter wait on the beach (Distracted by something else so she doesn't see the sibling get the first buoy) and then swap and have the first sibling wait on the beach while the 2nd daughter gets her buoy?

Or if you're only doing one buoy then maybe see if you can have the two daughters stand further back and have the dolphin deliver the buoy to you and then you give the buoy to your daughters?

We did the buoy for my parents 50th anniversary trip in November last year. They did it at the end of our session in the water and all of our party and the additional couple in our group were still 'in the water" when it occurred. They separated out my mom from the group some and had my dad behind her but still separated from our group. The dolphin delivered the buoy to her and then he was immediately allowed to step in for pictures. I will try to find some pictures to upload that will give you an idea of the setup.

I agree with the other posters, they need one person to not confuse the dolphin but having your other child step right in after delivery should not be that much of an issue.

Just my 2 cents...

Me personally, I would keep the plan "as-is" and have the buoy left in your cabana along with all your other goodies that come with your package (the sling pack, the stuffed animal or photo frame, etc.). DC is an amazing park, the cabana is a wonderful splurge, and you will have an excellent day whether that buoy is delivered to your girls in the water or waiting in the cabana.

If you are really stuck on the buoy being delivered to EACH of your daughters, then I would email DC, explain your concern, and ask if you can purchase an additional buoy for daughter #2, to be delivered during your dolphin swim (delivered one at a time, of course). I am betting they would probably work with you to find a solution. I have called DC on several occasions in the past, and emailed them several other times, and ALWAYS have had better luck with emailing rather than calling. A good example is our second visit to DC last August (without the dolphin swim). I called to book the premium package with cabana, and was informed that I could not do so because we did not have a dolphin swim booked (we had the day resort package with no swim at the passmember price of $69 pp). On a whim, I decided to email my question a day or two later. Lo and behold, it was not a problem to book the package and cabana.....and the DC manager to who answered my email was extremely apologetic and very eager to find a resolution that were happy with :thumbsup2 .

The DC rep you chatted with already is correct....prices most likely will increase for your DC day as the date grows closer, so I would still book now. Get that part done and then email about the cabana package and the buoy delivery. Just don't scratch it off the list altogether (even though I appreciate your disappointment) as I think missing out entirely on an awesome experience like DC would be the biggest disappointment of all.

If all the kids are doing the swim, all the kids will be in the water. Everyone stands in line. When it's time, the person receiving the buoy steps out of line and close to trainer. Since this done during swim, it wouldn't make sense for everyone to get out of water. However if only 1 kid is doing swim, then only 1 kid is in water. I really think you misunderstood.

I have no experience with DC, but I'm sorry for your disappointment. It would be impossible to pick between two kids, I totally get that. Unless it happened to be a birthday for one--but in that case you'd better have something pretty special up your sleeve for the birthday of the other child when it comes around! (I swear, my two take notes. And keep them. Forever.) Hopefully with lots of notice you'll be able to find a way to plan something equally special. Good thing it was going to be a surprise, at least you don't have to tell them it's been "pulled".

Oh I'm still going to DC there's no doubt about that - we are doing 6 days in Orlando and then a 4 day cruise on the Dream and the part I'm looking forward to the most is DC! My dh and I have birthdays on the trip and my oldest's birthday is the day after we get home so we said we'd officially celebrate it on the sea day on the ship. I felt bad for my youngest since she always misses out on "birthday week" because we're all in November and she's in January so this year we took her to Great Wolf Lodge on her birthday which she loved but I don't think it would compare to a dolphin delivery!

Originally I was going to receive the buoy and then decided to not be selfish lol and look where it's gotten me!!

I think I will stick with just booking the swim and photo package for the 4 of us and sea venture for me and my oldest (has anyone done that?) instead of the cabana and delivery. I still remember the tears when butterflies at science world in Seattle flocked to one and not the other!

Gina do you know how close to the date the prices go up? They went up a couple of months ago already from $219 to $259 so I figured I was good for awhile - maybe not?

We booked our Dolphin swim and package day at $279 per person and about 6 weeks before our trip I had called and tried to schedule it for a different day and she said the price had gone up to $349 per person and if I rebooked the day I would be charged the higher price. SO of course we kept our original day. I am not sure how long before I called the price had gone up.

As for the cabana, we also went in November and we would not have used the cabana at all if we had one. It would have been a waste of money. We stayed there all day and we stayed busy doing things all day. We never even tried to find lounge chairs to sit in. SO don't be too upset if you don't book the cabana and the Buoy.

We booked our Dolphin swim and package day at $279 per person and about 6 weeks before our trip I had called and tried to schedule it for a different day and she said the price had gone up to $349 per person and if I rebooked the day I would be charged the higher price. SO of course we kept our original day. I am not sure how long before I called the price had gone up.

As for the cabana, we also went in November and we would not have used the cabana at all if we had one. It would have been a waste of money. We stayed there all day and we stayed busy doing things all day. We never even tried to find lounge chairs to sit in. SO don't be too upset if you don't book the cabana and the Buoy.

Hmmm maybe I'll book it now while its $259. I'll do it when I get home today and then its done and it will be one less day to plan and save for!

I like the idea of the cabana but I can't see us using it enough. My dh might like it but me and the girls will be in the water all day. I think I'll try and get one of the cabanas at castaway cay instead :)

Oh I'm still going to DC there's no doubt about that .

Gina do you know how close to the date the prices go up? They went up a couple of months ago already from $219 to $259 so I figured I was good for awhile - maybe not?

Glad to hear you are still planning to visit DC despite the wobble in your original plans. :thumbsup2

Admission prices go up as remaining tickets available go down, so its hard to say when costs for your date may increase again. It could be sooner, it might be later. If you are okay with the prices as they are currently listed, I would book now.....because I don't think that prices ever decrease (if they do, I would think its rare).

We have done this several times, once with my daughter and then last time with my mom. Every time all the people in the group stated in the water, they just brought the person that was actually receiving the item up front. You can't have 2 people receive it but what I did was share the goodie bag :) So the other child got the stuffed dolphin and bag, etc. This made it seem a little more fair. You can ask for a picture with both after the dolphin deliveries so they can both be holding it.

Remember the people that sometimes sells the packages have never gone, several times I have talked to someone who says that maybe they will try to go this year or next year, etc.

Also wanted to note, the can only deliver one during a swim. I tried to purchase an extra one for my sister once and they said they would have to leave it at the cabana. That is an option, so they both get one....but then one would receive and one would have the extra at the cabana.

We love the cabana and have booked one each time we went. To us the cost is worth it to have a place to go away to and somewhere the kids can get some rest.

I booked the cabana package for our August trip. We're just doing a family vacation bouy. When they asked who was going to receive it, I figured I better have my wife get it, so there wouldn't be a fight between the 3 kids.

I booked the cabana package for our August trip. We're just doing a family vacation bouy. When they asked who was going to receive it, I figured I better have my wife get it, so there wouldn't be a fight between the 3 kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter