Discovery Cove - What is the min. swimming skill

mom2boys

<font color=blue>Horseshoe Mesa - 3 miles, 31 swit
required to fully participate in the Discovery Cove experience? I am wondering if my 8 & 9 yr old are up to the swimming. They are not stong swimmers but can get from the diving/sliding board to the side of the pool.

It's probably more important how confident they are in deep water. With a wetsuit on (added bouyancy) and salt water (added bouyancy) you really don't need to be a strong swimmer to be able to stay afloat. However if they "panic" and thrash about it will be hard work for them to float and they may get tired. Swimming is 90% floating and that is something most people do adiquately, it's only when your body tightens up it gets hard work.

There is an option of doing the "interaction" part of the swim in the standing depth part of the water and the kids can have a "boomerang" ride out and back holding onto the dolphin's dorsal fin. If they choose this they don't have to go out of their depth. If you choose one of the later swims they can watch earlier groups and decide what they feel they are capable of.

From what you say , I think they would be physically able to go out for the "deep water swim" part of the experience ( it's about 5-8 minutes duration I would guess) , it's more a question if they are confident enough in their abilities to do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter